weight loss .. only diet and NO exercise???

Hello everyone,
so the thing is that I am a medical student and so I do not have time to exercise.
Morning-Medical clg
evening-some extra classes in academy :(
yes my life is abnormally hectic :sad:
so i do not have ANY time to work out..even at night i have to study..and at afternoon i am awfully exhausted
so i wanted to ask that will only diet..1200 cal a day...make me skinny?
will it make my belly flat..?
by the way i am not very fat..just a little chubby..but i want to lose at least 10kg
can i lose it with ONLY dieting?..ok plz dont tell me to exercise in between the classes for gods sake :yawn:
hehehe so yea..how long will it take to lose 10 kg with onlyyy dieting
plz help help help....:ohwell:

Replies

• wifeymou1112
    wifeymou1112 Posts: 129 Member
    what's the rush? you don't have a lot to lose. Just eat a few hundred less than maintenance, time will go fast and the weight will eventually come off. Good luck :-)
  • sherabzangmo
    sherabzangmo Posts: 1 Member
    If you try GM diet you will be able to lose 5-7 Kgs (or more) in 7 days!! Just google GM Diet and you will get the details
  • AndyMcMahan
    AndyMcMahan Posts: 20 Member
    You'd think that basic nutrition would be covered at some point in pre-med training/coursework :)

Anyway, yes, you can lose fat with dieting alone ...at least to a certain point. I would say that once you hit the 'normal' range, then it might get a lot more difficult or impossible without at least some exercise. But, if one is overweight or has excess fat, it should be possible to lose a pound a week with diet alone.
  • CleanUpWhatIMessedUp
    CleanUpWhatIMessedUp Posts: 206 Member
    Yes, you can lose weight with only dieting.

I don't know if 1200 calories is specifically what you should be eating. It varies based on your current weight and height.
    Try to find some sort of calculator online that will tell you the proper amount you should be eating to lose weight based on your current height and weight and age.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    1) no one can tell you how long it will take for you to lose the weight you want to lose...that really all just depends
    2) yes you can lose weight with diet alone, I cannot however guarantee that you will get the body you want.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    sure you can, just the chance that that weight will come from muscle increases without exercise. keep to a calorie deficit and watch the scale drop

be sure you are eating enough though, 1200 cal diets are typically for really small people

with 10 kg to lose you should aim to lose that in about 6-8 months
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Short answer: Yes

While exercise will allow you to eat more calories, and has a lot of great health benefits, it is not necessary to lose weight. The problem comes that you tend to lose a lot of muscle mass when dieting without exercise, which can lead to "skinny fat". Basically, you're at your goal weight, but you don't look how you think you should because you lack muscle.

So if you have time to exercise, try to do so. If not though, it's not the end of the world. Just remember that even if you lose that little bit of weight, you might not be seeing the results you're hoping to.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    The short answer is yes, you an lose weight without exercising. It's calories in vs. calories out. Weight loss happens in the kitchen, fitness happens at the gym. Okay, that's enough weight loss cliches...

1200 calories is probably too low for you. Go to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/, put in your info @ 15-20% calorie reduction, and eat the amount of calories listed as "Daily calories based on goal in step 6."

Will it make your belly flat? Well, fat loss will reduce the size of your belly so, maybe. I get that you have a super busy schedule, so you gotta do what you gotta do, but there's a good chance you'll lose some muscle that you've already got and you may end up with the dreaded "skinny fat." That is, you'll be at a healthy weight, but your body won't look all that fit. That's where exercise comes in, a combination of cardio and strength training for the best results.

If your goal for now is just to lose the extra fat, eat at a reasonable deficit and exercise when/if you can. Once you're out of school, you can focus more on your fitness, lean muscle mass, etc. It's not ideal, but if you must...
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    If you try GM diet you will be able to lose 5-7 Kgs (or more) in 7 days!! Just google GM Diet and you will get the details

What's wrong with the Ford diet? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

To the OP, yes, you can lose weight through caloric restriction alone.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Shouldn't you have learned this in medical school?
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Hello everyone,
    so the thing is that I am a medical student and so I do not have time to exercise.
    Morning-Medical clg
    so i do not have ANY time to work out..even at night i have to study..and at afternoon i am awfully exhausted
    by the way i am not very fat..just a little chubby..but i want to lose at least 10kg
    can i lose it with ONLY dieting?..ok plz dont tell me to exercise in between the classes for gods sake :yawn:
    Are you being honest with yourself that you do not have any time to exercise? Look through your schedule for any blocks of time (doesn't have to be all at once you can divide it up).
    I finished grad school five years ago, moved 3000 miles away from home, worked 7 days a week(for pay) did an unpaid required internship as well for 25_ hours a week in addition to the forty hour job that paid my rent, finished my masters thesis, and completed my classes--and STILL worked out six days a week. Yes I was tired, but I paid for grad school myself. No other way to do it.
  • sparklefrogz
    sparklefrogz Posts: 281 Member
    Hello everyone,
    Morning-Medical clg

Walk or bike everywhere you possibly can. You're already going there anyways, and depending on the time of day and distance you may actually save time over driving or public transit.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member

I thought this too. :huh:

But to answer your question, yes you will lose weight on 1200 calories. Will it be healthy? That's dependent on how active you are during the day and what your height/weight are. Really, you shouldn't be shooting straight over to 1200 calories. You need to pick an appropriate calorie goal for YOU (AKA, based on your age, height, weight & activity level). To be honest, med school is pretty physically and mentally draining right? So make sure you have enough energy (calories) to get through it. You don't want to pass out during clinicals and stuff.
  • ladybird89
    ladybird89 Posts: 28 Member
    You can ABSOLUTELY lose weight with a restricted diet only. Now, is getting no physical exercise good for you? Not so much. Unless you live an active lifestyle where you're walking around/on your feet a lot during the day. Sounds like you have a busy schedule so perhaps you're getting a lot of walking in?
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member

What's wrong with the Ford diet? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

To the OP, yes, you can lose weight through caloric restriction alone.

Psht! Chevy diet all the way, bro.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Hello everyone,
    Morning-Medical clg
    Are you being honest with yourself that you do not have any time to exercise? Look through your schedule for any blocks of time (doesn't have to be all at once you can divide it up).
    I finished grad school five years ago, moved 3000 miles away from home, worked 7 days a week(for pay) did an unpaid required internship as well for 25_ hours a week in addition to the forty hour job that paid my rent, finished my masters thesis, and completed my classes--and STILL worked out six days a week. Yes I was tired, but I paid for grad school myself. No other way to do it.

Hats off to you! I think you may be a bit of an over-achiever though. I don't currently know anyone who has THAT much energy. :drinker:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member

She's IN medical school. Doesn't mean she knows all there is to know, at this moment in time.

Always take the time to educate. Shaming people for not knowing something is fruitless and demeaning.
  • Archer9304
    Archer9304 Posts: 113 Member
    You're a medical student and you want to eat 1200 calories...

You guys don't know a lot about nutrition do you? :indifferent:

I have the same amount to lose, and I'm eating only 200 calories less than maintenance. That's 1500.

You don't have a lot to lose so 0.5lb a week is ideal. Or 1/4kg (roughly).

ETA: Sorry I didn't mean the above comment in a rude fashion. But seeing as my doctor almost put me on a crash diet...eh.
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    You're a medical student and you want to eat 1200 calories...

You guys don't know a lot about nutrition do you? :indifferent:

I have the same amount to lose, and I'm eating only 200 calories less than maintenance. That's 1500.

You don't have a lot to lose so 0.5lb a week is ideal. Or 1/4kg (roughly).

ETA: Sorry I didn't mean the above comment in a rude fashion. But seeing as my doctor almost put me on a crash diet...eh.

Doctors basically get zero meaningful nutrition training. I think there's only one required basic nutrition class in med school and that's the extent of it unless you specialize - at least that's how things were up until a few years ago. Just because someone has a medical degree doesn't mean that they're educated about nutrition. I've seen posters on MFP who have more accurate info about diets/weight loss/exercise than doctors I know in real life, honestly.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member

She's IN medical school. Doesn't mean she knows all there is to know, at this moment in time.

Always take the time to educate. Shaming people for not knowing something is fruitless and demeaning.

:huh:

I was not stating this in a "fruitless and demeaning" manor. But I would assume someone that is intelligent enough to go to medical school, can do some simple research on the topic.

edited to fix a word.