Carbs v. Fat v. Protein Confusion

Options
Hello all -

I am new here and even after a few days of tracking and watching what I eat more closely, I already feel SO MUCH BETTER! I woke up today feeling more energized than I have in ages, without the usual aches and pains. Amazing!

My question is about the daily recommended carbs, fats and proteins as suggested by my MFP diary. It is suggesting that I get 50% of my diet from carbs. That seems high! I have been focusing on reducing my carbs the last few days, because that is always how I've been most successful with weight loss in the past. But in doing so, I seem to be getting to many proteins and fats and not enough carbs.

What do you think? Is it okay to pay less attention to where your calories come from, as long as you're staying within your calorie count? I kind of hate the idea of eating a bunch of carbs (since I think that's what got me to my current weight) just to meet my daily suggested intake. I'm still working in some carbs, but mostly focusing on lean protein, veggies, and fruits.

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Aim for at least 1 gram of protein per pound of lean mass, 0.3g of fat per pound of total mass. Fill in the rest of your calories with whatever you want keeping micro-nutrient content in mind.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Personally I make sure I get a decent amount of protein, and eat several each fruits & veggies each day. The carbs & fat fall where they may. I don't stress over them. I also don't try to avoid them.
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I too make sure my protein stays high. Generally I aim for 40/30/30 Protein/fat/carbs. I'll typically get my protein and fats where they should be and let the carbs fluctuate.

The MFP suggestions were not even close to what they needed to be for my fitness goals.
  • Coolhandkid
    Coolhandkid Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I can get to 40% protein but its tough for me to eat 30% carbs. I'm probably 40/35/25.
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I can get to 40% protein but its tough for me to eat 30% carbs. I'm probably 40/35/25.
    are your meats fatty? What are you eating thats so high in fat? (not that it's a bad thing) If you want to up your carbs to 30% it should be a simple nix this add that type situation.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Aim for at least 1 gram of protein per pound of lean mass, 0.3g of fat per pound of total mass. Fill in the rest of your calories with whatever you want keeping micro-nutrient content in mind.

This is my rule of thumb as well. Though I'm usually a little short on protein.
  • hobbeskastiel
    hobbeskastiel Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Filling my carbs and protein is usually rough. I eat more chicken and very little red meat. If my calories were higher I could fill them in better but try to keep my cals around 1500. The carbs blow up my cals so I need to eat more veggie carbs and some rice and beans. I'm still working on balancing it all out myself. Grilled chicken, brown rice & green veggies are the best balance for me to stay within my goals, but it's still rough. I had a chicken and avocado sandwich today and it was pretty high in calories. I get 200 just from the bread. Working out is easier then trying to balance my macros!!!
  • GeordieGirl80s
    GeordieGirl80s Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 40% carbs, 35% fat & 25% protein - which gives me 155g carbs, 60g fat & 97g protein. I get the majority of my carbs from fruit & veg with occasional potatoes or bread. Protein helps keep you feeling full for longer so it's definitely worth increasing that (and is also so easy to get even if you don't eat meat).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It seems high because carbs are the latest and greatest of dietary demons and all you here about is how carbs are the devil. That said, I do find the macros low on protein, particularly if you're an active person. You can switch up your macros however you like...it really makes little difference unless you have some medical condition for which you should substantially reduce carbs.

Most people doing the SAD could stand to cut carbs...and most people doing the SAD get far more than 50% of their diet from carbs.

I personally focus more on hitting around 145 grams of protein and 60ish grams of fat per day and let carbs fall where they may.
  • hobbeskastiel
    hobbeskastiel Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 40% carbs, 35% fat & 25% protein - which gives me 155g carbs, 60g fat & 97g protein. I get the majority of my carbs from fruit & veg with occasional potatoes or bread. Protein helps keep you feeling full for longer so it's definitely worth increasing that (and is also so easy to get even if you don't eat meat).

I do fine on the protein until I workout. As soon as you add your workout it changes how much protein you need to keep the muscles happy. So I start at 87 & after I workout it wants like 130 -150 grams of protein. At that point it's like, well, I might as well live off the chicken, lol.
  • veggiesnyc
    veggiesnyc Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input! I think I am going to stick to what I've been doing for now. It is rare that I don't crave carbs, so if I can get away with eating more protein and fewer carbs for now, I might as well go with it. I'm sure the carb cravings will kick back in before i know it :)
  • RangerRN507
    RangerRN507 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I like 40% carb 30% fat 30% protein I need the extra carbs because I train like a beast every day and low carbs would just ruin my workouts I would look like a xfitter in there lol no offense xfitters.