effing clueless now! how do I get lean?

Options
So I lost my weight, I am a BMI of 23 which I am quite happy with - my legs look awesome but my arms are as thick as a fly's penis and my stomach is ....shall we say wobbly. I gave birth but that's no excuse, I was fat for years so, although the top part of my stomach is becoming defined, the bottom has the "apron".

I now don't need to lose any weight. Im more than happy to start lifting (but im a runner, and love it so wont stop), I know how to lift, I have books but its my diet I am clueless about. Im still eating at a slight deficit. If I want to gain muscle, do I eat at maintenance or over - if I eat over, how often do I have to lift - HELP!!!!

Replies

• trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Blimey, I wouldn't like to see the flies where you live :wink:
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you already are lean, I would just start lifting weights, and eating at maintenance or a little above and add some muscle.
  • jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    So I lost my weight, I am a BMI of 23 which I am quite happy with - my legs look awesome but my arms are as thick as a fly's penis and my stomach is ....shall we say wobbly. I gave birth but that's no excuse, I was fat for years so, although the top part of my stomach is becoming defined, the bottom has the "apron".

I now don't need to lose any weight. Im more than happy to start lifting (but im a runner, and love it so wont stop), I know how to lift, I have books but its my diet I am clueless about. Im still eating at a slight deficit. If I want to gain muscle, do I eat at maintenance or over - if I eat over, how often do I have to lift - HELP!!!!

First things first if you love to run Keep doing it! You just have to adjust maybe the length or number of days or intensity level. As for eating, simple equation eat at 500 less = lose weight, eat at 500 more = gain weight. As for lifting, if you are new I would say start with full body workouts 3 days a week, if you have been lifting for awhile you could do a body part a day 5 days a week.
  • natethegreat80
    natethegreat80 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    easily get lean on a high carb low fat vegan diet...eat a lot of fruit and veggies...as many as you want until you are full...keep running and you will see the results you want...you dont need to add weights to the workout
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Start lifting heavy with 3-4 sets in the 8-10 rep range. Heavy enough that you should be failing by the 10th rep.

Also, start by adding 100-200 calories above maintenance (including the calories burnt from running) for a few weeks and adjust accordingly.
  • FrenchMob
    Options
    easily get lean on a high carb low fat vegan diet...eat a lot of fruit and veggies...as many as you want until you are full...keep running and you will see the results you want...you dont need to add weights to the workout
    And if you want to succeed, don't listen to this guys advice - do the total opposite.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Start lifting heavy with 3-4 sets in the 8-10 rep range. Heavy enough that you should be failing by the 10th rep.

Also, start by adding 100-200 calories above maintenance (including the calories burnt from running) for a few weeks and adjust accordingly.

Thanks very much - should I do this 3 times a week? or more?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

This is not it.

Lifting will help you improve body composition. As we diet our bodies use some of our muscle to help keep us running. It's a good idea to start out eating about what you maintain at. You don't have to go crazy eating way over, but over time you may want to increase your food intake.

As FrenchMob said you will want to use weight that is heavy to you and progressively increase the weight. Bodybuilding.com has some great free programs that can help you combine your running with lifting. You may see improvement in your running through the strength training.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

3 times a week is a great balance.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/strength-training-for-runners-how-to-do-it-right.html
    http://www2.furman.edu/sites/first/Documents/16_oct2324.pdf
  • FrenchMob
    Options

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/strength-training-for-runners-how-to-do-it-right.html
    Both great links.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options

Thank you both very much :bigsmile:
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump