Healthiest Chinese

Options
I am on nights tonight and we are getting a chinese take away but I want to chose something as low calorie as possible without missing out. Anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    Vegetable based, not fried, and light sauce. Beef/broccholi with just a small amount of rice is one I usually do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    the healthiest Chinese is the one who counts their macros and exercises regularly

but in all seriousness just go for a stir fry or something of that nature. most Americanized chinese food is high in oils and whatnot, so itll be high cal no matter what you get probably. just log it and move on to tomorrow
  • invisiblelo
    invisiblelo Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thank you, It will be logged accurately and It will be within my calorie limit. I have done some research and prawns and veg seem like a winner.
  • iTStaRTsN0W
    iTStaRTsN0W Posts: 106
    Options
    steamed dumplings, vegetable fried rice, 1 egg roll - that's my goto chinese plan lol

**6 dumplings and half acup of rice to be exact
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Dumplings/Peking Ravioli aren't all that bad .. 400 cal for 6

ETA: I find a lot of chinese dishes to be well rounded and able to work into a healthy lifestyle. It's all about portion control. That said, the sodium on chinese takeout tends to be ridiculously high - so be prepared to see a little jump on the scale if you weigh daily. I can put on 3 or 4 lbs of water weight after chinese takeout - it's gone again in a couple days though.
  • Smoofalz
    Smoofalz Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I went a few weeks ago and researched it a little... the won ton soup wasn't too bad, and you could have a pretty nice portion. I did get some shrimp fried rice but watched how much I ate of it. Beside that, sea food & veggies are good choice, just watch the sauces their in :)
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Chicken/Beef and Broccoli, brown rice, water instead of soda. Problem solved.
  • yungibear
    yungibear Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Go for steamed stuff or clear soups and accompany it with some rice!

You could also learn to cook Chinese as well, if you like Chinese cuisine. It's really easy and many stores stock basic sauces like soy sauce, sesame oil, and oyster sauce, now!
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    OP, sounds like you've got a solid plan there. Enjoy!
    For my part, I just have to save up beforehand. If spring rolls, fried rice, honey chicken, and lo mein are wrong... I don't wanna be right. :embarassed:
  • j_bark
    j_bark Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    Instead of rice, go with steamed vegetables. Skip any egg roll or wonton. As far as maindish? Go with a protein/vegetable combo. Avoid the traditional sauces like kung pao and szeachuan. I like chicken and mushroom or chicken and broccoli. Chicken over beef.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Spare ribs, , , PLAIN lo mein.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    Bolo-Yeung-steroids.jpg
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    I get mixed veggies with chicken. I've heard some places offer steamed rice as an alternative to fried.
  • softwind
    softwind Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Some places will steam your food and then put the sauce on the side. I get chicken and broccoli that way sometimes
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I'm with everyone else...sticking to the non fried/seeking out steamed and sauce on the side is the way to go!

That did not stop me, however, from the veggie lo mein and bean curd homestyle I just had for lunch.

BUT, I didn't eat it all like I would have back in the day! Moderation...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    Bolo-Yeung-steroids.jpg
    Lol, I dressed up as Chong Li one time for a "villians/superhero" party.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition