When You Blow Your Cal Count

Options
Um so I may or may not have hit up Burger King instead of eating the sandwich and fruit I brought for lunch leaving myself 200 calories for the day. (I did have a healthy breakfast and morning snack.) Of course I hate myself and feel like crap (emotionally and physically) for eating junk now. I'm trying to break from the vicious cycle of doing this to my body. For those of you have overcome life long battles with food, how did you handle backslide moments? How do you keep 1 bad choice for a meal from turning into a bad day or day week?

I find myself sitting here think "Ok if I have a 400 calorie dinner I've only gone over by 200 calories and that won't cause any gain just slow my loss per week goal. Just swim some extra laps tomorrow."

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    yup. just go back to healthy behaviors. One lunch is just one lunch unless you let it become more.
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Here's what I do: I forgive myself and move on. ONE MEAL isn't going to ruin your day. Have a sensible dinner, log everything, drink some extra water to counteract the excess sodium, and start fresh tomorrow.

Trust me on this... I've done it many times over the last several months, and have still made good progress.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    So eat more today. Its one day, out of the rest of your life. Kind of like a drop in the ocean.

What is your daily deficit? If you're aiming to lose 1 pound a week, it would be 500. Just don't go over your goal by more than 500, and call it a maintenance day.

I enjoyed most of a bag of cheetos this morning. No regrets. :)
  • rileyleigh
    rileyleigh Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You can't reasonably expect every single day to go exactly as planned. There will be days when you go over your calorie limit. There are definitely days (maybe once a week or less) when i decide i am going to eat at my maintanence calorie level just because i want to eat some yummy high calorie food. That is totally fine as long as you understand you may not lose the weight quite as fast.

The trick is to not let one "bad" meal turn into an abandonment of your diet. Eat it, log it, and then tomorrow work on staying under your goal. Just don't give up.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    First why are you only eating 1200 calories a day?

Second, eat a normal dinner log it and move on.

Third, there shouldn't be guilt when it comes to eating and food, it's food. When you start getting feelings of guilt you need to take a look at what you are doing because this is where the bad relationship with food usually starts.

Lastly, stop trying to be perfect and work on being consistent.
  • bamagrits15
    bamagrits15 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    1.5 pounds a week
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I'm going to offer up a little something different here. How about you burn off some of those calories? I'm a pretty healthy eater, prefer my own cooking over restaurants but sometimes you really just have to have the junk food and then the eh what did I just do to myself kicks in and it's NOT about the calories or fat content it's just the way I feel afterwards so I grab a fresh glass of ice cold water, lace up my sneakers and go for a walk. You can't reverse the calories you've eaten and honestly sometimes you'll even find you enjoy that PB cup or order of french fries and that's terrific but when the food leaves you feeling like a slug you have to find your way out of that and for me personally exercise has helped.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Usually when I go over I end up feeling like crap; my stomach hurts, tired, etc. That's enough to keep me from doing it repeatedly.

ETA: when I blow it, I blow it like a champ.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I go over at least once or twice a week. No harm. Just don't do it every day. Be honest with yourself. All will be well. In the end, the scale doesn't lie :wink:
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Just go about your day as normal. In the end, the only effect it's going to have is creating a smaller deficit. But you're still in a deficit, so you will lose weight.

Stop feeling guilty about food or it'll start hurting your relationship with it. There are no 'bad' or 'wrong' foods. If you want BK, fit it into your day. Don't stress out about it. I eat fast food AT LEAST once a week and it's never hindered my weight loss.

Also, make sure your calorie goal isn't too aggressive. If you try being too aggressive it may backfire on you.
  • sandy_taylor13
    sandy_taylor13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Try to go for a run or walk tonight. Take along water with you and you will not only feel better, you will help to flush some of that sodium out of your body. Eat a healthy dinner tonight, don't starve.
  • bamagrits15
    bamagrits15 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    First why are you only eating 1200 calories a day?

Second, eat a normal dinner log it and move on.

Third, there shouldn't be guilt when it comes to eating and food, it's food. When you start getting feelings of guilt you need to take a look at what you are doing because this is where the bad relationship with food usually starts.

Lastly, stop trying to be perfect and work on being consistent.

Um I'm not. 1880 is my daily intake.

I get that there shouldn't be guilt. But there is. It certainly isn't something I desire and I know my journey requires a 3D overhaul.
  • jeannelabanane
    jeannelabanane Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If I have a heavy lunch, i.e. fast food - I typically have a lighter dinner because I'm still pretty full by the time dinner rolls around. Then, the next day I go back to normal. I don't really think it's a big deal.

I don't really mind having a fast food meal - I've gone out a few times since starting this. I've noticed that some fast foods make me feel like crap (physically) now - but at least it's a more seldom occasion since I don't go out that often anymore (more like once a week).

If you don't make a habit of going over your calorie goal every day - it will all wash out in the end.

Also - just a tip, kids meals pack a lot less calories and are often filling enough for lunch. I.e. a McDonalds Happy Meal, if you really need your McDonald's fix. I've only done that once though - since I've been eating better for a few weeks - I never realized how incredibly salty it was. Also - you can cut down on calories by forgoing sauces and other little extras, drinking water instead of pop, etc.
  • parsonsk64
    parsonsk64 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm going to offer up a little something different here. How about you burn off some of those calories? I'm a pretty healthy eater, prefer my own cooking over restaurants but sometimes you really just have to have the junk food and then the eh what did I just do to myself kicks in and it's NOT about the calories or fat content it's just the way I feel afterwards so I grab a fresh glass of ice cold water, lace up my sneakers and go for a walk. You can't reverse the calories you've eaten and honestly sometimes you'll even find you enjoy that PB cup or order of french fries and that's terrific but when the food leaves you feeling like a slug you have to find your way out of that and for me personally exercise has helped.

I love this solution! Very positive and proactive. We can't change the past; we can only determine what happens next. Good choice!
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    It sound like you are set at a deficit of at least 500 calories a day. Like someone said before, have a good dinner, log it and move on to tomorrow. I know it's not as easy as all that, but it really helps to try to look at it that way. Don't let one meal or one day (or even one week) defeat your goals. Re-read your own "About me" to remember why you are doing this. Good luck.

Edited to change to calories because I'm schtoopid.
  • andythecurefan
    andythecurefan Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Try to go for a run or walk tonight. Take along water with you and you will not only feel better, you will help to flush some of that sodium out of your body. Eat a healthy dinner tonight, don't starve.
    I agree with the poster above. Rather than feel guilty about it and beat yourself up, go for a nice stroll and take some headphones with you.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Your emotional health is as important as your physical health. They actually need to be balance. You cannot excuse one for the sake of the other. I get periods where my eating goes to crap, in fact I am there right now. Stress is making me overeat and indulge in convenience foods. I know that its what I am doing, I am chosing not to add the stress of my eating to my list. I know what my TDEE is and I keep that in mind for capping myself. This period will end. Times like this are inevitable, if you cannot fit them into the rthym of your life well thats when "diets" fail. I am not expecting to see any progress this month on my weightloss goal and that is ok as long as I am not seeing major gain. My TDEE is pretty high though.

Edited to say: A piece of fish and steamed veggies, or a veggie omlette are lower calorie meals that can also be quite filling.
  • Bellodesiderare
    Bellodesiderare Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Greetings from another Alabama MFP friend! I recommend getting some exercise and moving on. Do NOT skip dinner. Skipping a meal is just as bad as eating unhealthy, so you're not doing yourself any justice there. I feel guilty when I eat badly too, but I plan "cheat" meals about once a week to help me maintain focus. (If I didn't get my cheat meal, I'd eventually snap and binge man vs. food style and probably die from a ruptured stomach...JS. I NEEDZ my cheat meal! haha) Hang in there, Grits!! You can do this...
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    One meal is not back slide. Eat normally today and move on. I'd say swimming a few extra laps tomorrow is fine if you feel like you need to, but it is totally not necessary :)
  • omsmom12
    omsmom12 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    There are days when you have special occasions and then there are days when you just blow it. So I don't worry about calories per day so much as I worry about hitting my AVERAGE daily goal. For example, if I go over by 400 one day, I might cut back 100 cals for the next four days. And sometimes I won't and I willingly accept the slower weight loss. Life often ends up reflecting what we do on most days not just on a few :)