Is there a Dr. in the house..

Anyone have any idea how many eggs one can safely eat without risk of high cholesterol assuming there is no pre-existing history such? Just curious...

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    im no doc but the cholesterol in eggs isnt the same as blood cholesterol
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    :huh:
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    The link between dietary and blood cholesterol is very weak. It is estimated that 85% of your blood cholesterol is endogenous (aka, comes from yourself and not food). The other 15% may be related to diet. You can eat just about as many eggs as you can physically handle with minimal (if any) effect on your blood cholesterol. I've had 6+ a day for weeks at a time and didn't see any significant change when I donated blood (they give me a total cholesterol reading after) compared to times when I was trying to eat low fat and low cholesterol.
  • sandryc
    sandryc Posts: 33
    Recent research has shown that moderate egg consumption—up to one a day—does not increase heart disease risk in healthy individuals and can be part of a healthy diet.

Decent article:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/eggs/
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Worms --- Can Of
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Just how many eggs were you planning to eat?
  • FIT_Goat
    http://authoritynutrition.com/how-many-eggs-should-you-eat/

This includes references to studies where up to 3 eggs a day didn't effect blood cholesterol in 70% of the people, and only increased it slightly in the remaining 30%.

But, the best part is the following:
    However… I did find an interesting case study (a study with only one individual). It was an 88 year old man who consumed 25 eggs per day.

He had normal cholesterol levels and was in very good health (37).

Of course, a study of one doesn’t prove anything, but it’s interesting nonetheless.

So, there you go... the amount is at least 3... and could be much higher... even more than 800% higher than that.
  • JamericanBoy
    JamericanBoy Posts: 484 Member
    I was just think of devilled eggs as the perfect low card snack and how many I could get away with

http://www.ny1.com/content/lifestyles/cooking_at_home/189744/recipe--buffalo-chicken-deviled-eggs
  • FIT_Goat
    I was just think of devilled eggs as the perfect low card snack and how many I could get away with

http://www.ny1.com/content/lifestyles/cooking_at_home/189744/recipe--buffalo-chicken-deviled-eggs

Just depends on how many you can fit in your calorie/macro goals. I could easily demolish a dozen halves of those (6 whole eggs). Thanks for the recipe. I'm going to have to try that one. May skip the onion and celery though (or use celery salt).
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Basically as many as you want. Dietary cholesterol is usually not something to worry about. Maybe ask for a test on your HDL/LDL if you are curious.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Ron Swanson approves of this.
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Recent research has shown that moderate egg consumption—up to one a day—does not increase heart disease risk in healthy individuals and can be part of a healthy diet.

Decent article:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/eggs/

Agreed. Although my MD office says that 2 egg yolks a week are plenty....
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    all I can think is how nasty your farts are gonna be....sorry...
  • JamericanBoy
    JamericanBoy Posts: 484 Member

...says the woman who eats cauliflower like it's the only food on earth :tongue:
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    im no doc but the cholesterol in eggs isnt the same as blood cholesterol

I enjoy this man very much
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Cool Hand Luke says the answer is 50.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    I stayed at a holiday inn last night... the myth of high cholesterol from eating high amounts of eggs is related solely to the fat content in the egg its self and not to the cholesterol level. Therefore if you have no preexisting condition then ...IIFYM
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    The limit has just been updated! There IS no limit.
    You can Google it yourself for the reference...

I believe the theory is that dietary cholesterol is not a contributing factor to artery cholesterol UNLESS your body specifically will use it as such. In other words... if you have poor cholesterol, you may want to talk to your doctor about a limit. If you don't, then you don't have to worry about it. Cholesterol in arteries is actually a genetic thing.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    As has already been said, eating cholesterol has not been tied to high blood cholesterol. Most of the cholesterol in our bodies ts there because our bodies make it and put it there.

Also, the cholesterol cardiovascular disease correlation has not held true through further studies. Unfortunately a lot of nutritional guidelines (RDA anyone?) are based on old old research, and seriously in need updating.

As someone who is about to embark on a masters in public health with an emphasis on nutrition, I am sure I will be cringing at some the 'facts' about nutrition that I will be expected to learn.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

I eat upwards of 10 a day... no GI issues here

- now- broccoli? salsa? clear the room sports fans.

nevertheless- eat up- And from what I have read unless you already have Cholesterol issues- there is no real issue with going to town on the eggs.