Whats the point of exercise if it doesn't change your shape?

Options
I asked this question on a different page of this forum and I think it was misunderstood.

My question is - if someone is a perfect weight for their height and then starts running every day and burning 750 calories approx per run but doesn't lose any weight, does the running make any positive changes to their body? I mean, I know that I have more glowing skin, feel fitter and less tired, have more energy and have even managed to give up smoking which is all great, but will my body be better aesthetically as well? I've read on here that there's no such thing as toning muscles, that you have to strip fat away to see the muscles, but if you stay the same weight and do lots of exercise will you look fitter and in better shape? Otherwise, apart from the health benefits what's the point!

Replies

• amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Check out Strong Lifts 5x5.

Lifting is one of the best/only ways to really change your shape.
  • scb515
    scb515 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've noticed my legs do look more toned from all the crosstrainer/exercise bike that I do at the gym. It did take absolutely ages to see it though. Was a nice surprise one day!

I think I'm at the point now where I need to consider lifting and classes, because I don't work out any of my tummy muscles at the gym and I need to strengthen my core.

I mainly exercise to earn extra calories, tbh!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Your example scenario really doesn't make a lot of sense. If you start burning 750 calories/day running and your weight doesn't change, you must be eating an extra 750 calories/day in order to maintain that weight. If you really did start burning an extra 750 calories/day, your weight would decrease (after any initial water retention from starting the exercise resolved itself).
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Check out Strong Lifts 5x5.

Lifting is one of the best/only ways to really change your shape.

i think she means changing your shape from like a ruler to an hourglass or hourglass to a pear..

and no, lifting can't change genetics. but what it can do is help you simulate certain looks. for instance if you're a pear and you want to look more balanced like an hourglass then you can lift to add a bit more muscle to your upper back and shoulders to make it seem like you are more of an hourglass
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    if you stay the same weight and do lots of exercise will you look fitter and in better shape?

Depends on the exercise. With weight lifting, yes, usually. With running, maybe, maybe not.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    if you stay the same weight and do lots of exercise will you look fitter and in better shape?

Depends on the exercise. With weight lifting, yes, usually. With running, maybe, maybe not.

^^^Agreed!
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to throw this out there: consider stabilization and balance training. Neuromuscular control leads to proper posture. Proper posture leads to being able to move without injuring your joints. Neither of these things will directly affect your outward appearance but are absolutely critical to a properly functioning body that is prepared for higher and more intense levels of exercise.

Absolutely this. I strength train because I enjoy running and want to be able to continue to do it without injuring myself.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    I asked this question on a different page of this forum and I think it was misunderstood.

My question is - if someone is a perfect weight for their height and then starts running every day and burning 750 calories approx per run but doesn't lose any weight, does the running make any positive changes to their body? I mean, I know that I have more glowing skin, feel fitter and less tired, have more energy and have even managed to give up smoking which is all great, but will my body be better aesthetically as well? I've read on here that there's no such thing as toning muscles, that you have to strip fat away to see the muscles, but if you stay the same weight and do lots of exercise will you look fitter and in better shape? Otherwise, apart from the health benefits what's the point!

Your body staying at the same weight will tend to gradually "recomp" some fat into muscle and circulatory tissue to a point, and you will "look better", and compared to not exercising yes your muscle tone in the muscles will be firmer, but maybe not as much of a visual change as you want. However, I think the health benefits are primary, your brain is stimulated more, heart and lungs get trained and become more efficient, muscles get stronger, and you may feel better, fitter and have more energy as you said above. You lower your risk of a whole host of diseases, cancer, diabetes, heart disease, fibromyalgia and depending on your age, even dementia, and some neurological disorders. Seems like a much bigger point than "toning" to me!
  • bumblebee
    bumblebee Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    What I mean is that if you don't lose any weight then it doesn't matter how much toned muscle you have it won't show under the layer of fat.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    What I mean is that if you don't lose any weight then it doesn't matter how much toned muscle you have it won't show under the layer of fat.

False.

Weight does not equal fat.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options

Nope. If you eat at exactly your maintenance calories, do a good solid lifting program, and eat adequate protein, you could conceivably lose a little fat and gain a little muscle at virtually the same time. More muscle, less fat = a fitter looking body.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'm about the same weight in all of these pics. On the left I had just lost 45 lbs without exercise. On the right I've been lifting for 16ish months.

e34ba407-6e5a-47d6-903c-59c82d5f512b_zps3cf7062a.png
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

depends on what your goals are it terms of whether or not it matters

also in terms of how you look i also disagree since muscle is denser than fat, therefore it takes up less space. so different people at the same weight will look different based on their body comnpostion
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I get your question, but while not being sure of what you hope to accomplish it is hard to respond.

I can say from my personal experience with running . . . I do not personally care for what running does to my body. Other than sprinters for the most part I just do not care for the female runners shape.

Speaking to some of the runners that run in my area one common thread is that they have no lost a great deal of weight but have lost inches - more from toning up, I guess. I run some only because i see it as an additional option to my keeping active and fit for the long term.

If it is just fat that you want to lose, strength training will really help with that and if you like running I would suggest you keep doing that as well.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I'm about the same weight in all of these pics. On the left I had just lost 45 lbs without exercise. On the right I've been lifting for 16ish months.

You grew a booty! An amazing booty.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

You grew a booty! An amazing booty.

I also lost a pants size. Still haven't figured out how that works, but I'll take it. And I'm down I think about an inch around my waist.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

You'll find a change in bodyfat percentage that will allow the existing muscle to display.

That said, one type of exercise will lead to unsatisfactory outcome, one needs to train using multiple approaches for optimal outcomes.

fwiw, despite the noise from all the lifting zealots, from a programme of running , cycling and rowing I've reduced bodyfat percentage to 20%.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options

You'll find a change in bodyfat percentage that will allow the existing muscle to display.

That said, one type of exercise will lead to unsatisfactory outcome, one needs to train using multiple approaches for optimal outcomes.

fwiw, despite the noise from all the lifting zealots, from a programme of running , cycling and rowing I've reduced bodyfat percentage to 20%.

While maintaining the same scale weight (which is what the OP is asking about, although I'm not really sure why)?
  • gdlloyd
    gdlloyd Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Running and swimming are 2 of the best exercises you can do because they work all your muscles. While I understand what your saying about toning muscles you must continue to workout in order to maintain your toned muscles. Also if you must remember to watch your calorie intake. It is hard to burn 750 calories and not lose weight unless you eating foods high in carbs. I would say try adding light strength training to my routine if I were you. If you need a good some tips on some good programs just let me know. I hope this helps.