Scale Accuracy? Which scale should I use for weigh-ins?

Options
Hey guys,

So until today i've been weighing myself with those non-digital scales (ones you see at doctor's offices) but today I decided to use my PTs digital scale. The digital one told me I was 135 while the other one said 137 :P

Anyone know which one is generally more accurate? I'm also looking to buy a small digital one for school next year, so any recommendations as to which ones to buy would be great!

Replies

• I3righti3lue24
    I3righti3lue24 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Unless you weight on them both at the EXACT same time that exact day its impossible to tell... They both could be accurate.
  • lcangelini
    lcangelini Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Unless you weight on them both at the EXACT same time that exact day its impossible to tell... They both could be accurate.

I did them about 10 minutes apart. Sorry forget to mention that in the post.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I think over all digital scales are less accurate - I know mine will jump a few tenths of a pound if I stp on it twice in a row. A doctor's scale is generally weighted and the weighting doesn't change.

With that said, I believe the most important thing to do is consistently weight on the same scale - there are differences.
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I think over all digital scales are less accurate - I know mine will jump a few tenths of a pound if I stp on it twice in a row. A doctor's scale is generally weighted and the weighting doesn't change.

With that said, I believe the most important thing to do is consistently weight on the same scale - there are differences.
    I'd disagree with the "....over all..." part of your statement and suggest that digitals (as a group) are more "accurate" (at least, potentially). For the most part though, if by "doctor's scale" posters mean a "mechanical" scale with a dial, or even the older "triple beam" type with sliding height bar (for those old enough to remember) we're talking hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars difference in cost compared to "home" digitals and at least some portion of that dollar difference has to do with overall "quality".

Many (most?) Docs these days are using digitals and were I to see a difference of a "few tenths" between the two I'd be happy as a clam that my $30 digital is as accurate as their (probably) $2000 "Cadillac".

As others have said any "side by side" comparison is only as good as the conditions are duplicated EXACTLY which is pretty much impossible and begs the question - does it really matter that much?

The only totally reliable method would be with a calibrated weight placed on each scale, and even that only "proves" accuracy at that EXACT weight.

Anyway, my recommendation is a "good enough", digital, in the $25 - $30 range.
    Here's one example with very good (overall) "ratings" to which I'll add my own.
    http://tinyurl.com/mwomzlv

As with most things "digital" - more money = more "features" (% body fat, bluetooth, etc) but not always more "quality" (or accuracy).

Your comment on "consistency" is one I couldn't agree MORE with. Same time of day, naked, every day is (IMO) the "most" important consideration.