Calorie Intake Changes

Options
I was wondering. As we lose weight, does our calorie intake change automatically on the home page?

Replies

• bex0178
    bex0178 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    No, it needs to be updated regularly. I got a reminder from myfitnesspal at one point saying I should change my goals as my weight had changed a certain percentage, but that was when I first started. Not sure if they still do that.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you haven't changed it within the past ten pounds you've lost, it'll prompt you to
  • katewright699
    Options
    Does that apply if you are doing tdee method as well,input your new weight etc and recalculate every 10 pounds ?
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    If you are using the TDEE method, MFP will still prompt you to reset your goals every 10 lbs but you should not let MFP do it for you. Go recalculate your goals using your TDEE calculator and then update your goals in MFP using that number.
  • katewright699
    Options
    Lovely cheers :)
  • tinaramsey1975
    tinaramsey1975 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    what is tdee?
  • tinaramsey1975
    tinaramsey1975 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks a bunch y'all
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    TDEE is total daily energy expenditure. Basically you use a calculator to figure out how much you burn every day including exercise. You then take a deficit from that number. You eat the same amount every day whether or not you exercise.

MFP is set up by default for the NEET method - non-exercise energy total. It factors in all of your daily activity except your exercise. A deficit is calculated from that number. This is why with the MFP method you log your exercise and eat back at least a portion of your exercise calories.

I have found using the NEET method that my daily calorie goal fluctuates from day to day more than I like. Since I won't eat my exercise calories until I've completed the exercise I found that I had a lot of calories at the end of the day. The TDEE method allows me to eat the same amount every day, which I find easier to plan.

It really doesn't matter which method you use. They both work. I started using NEET last October and switched to TDEE in February. I lost weight using both methods very consistently. It is more about personal preference and what works for you.