How did you gain weight in the first place

Options

Replies

• Feliciapooh
    Options
    Just eating WAY too much food all my life.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Two kids close together, then a birth control method that simply did not agree with me, and a complete lack of awareness that i was eating more than i should have been eating to maintain my weight. Suddenly, i was fat. Lol

Really, it was a lack of awareness that i couldn't eat the same way I'd been eating after my metabolism and hormones changed.
  • rachnmatt53009
    rachnmatt53009 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I go to school during the day and work at night. Sometimes all I have time to eat are the quick things, and those aren't always the best things. Plus, I just learned that I inherited PCOS from my mom. Yay...
  • Guitarlos2
    Options
    Reading some of these responses reminds me how crazy the human body can be. There are so many conditions and things that have to be in balance or whooom - weight gain! I am in the process of losing weight, but mine crept up on me over the course of three years. I was fairly thin and athletic and all of a sudden I began to crave the foods I really liked more and more. Next thing I knew, I was eating pizza a few times a week and dipping into fast food more often than ever. I wonder if I have candida? The cravings became almost insatiable and just recently I have been making a serious effort to fight them. Some of this food is almost like a drug sometimes, its ridiculous....
  • DellaWiedel
    DellaWiedel Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I was always pretty thin/in shape during my teenage and young adult years, then I think a few things happened:

1. I moved from the boonies into a city where I could get fast food and food delivery, and I felt the need to eat fast food like EVERY MEAL to make up for all the years I'd been deprived. LOL

2. I got married and felt like I needed to be a "good wife" by making my husband food covered in gravy and cheese for every meal, followed up by some sort of rich homemade dessert, and of course Southern style sweet tea to wash it all down!! (Of course, he never complained about my cooking, but it definitely packed the weight on both of us... LOL)

3. I got a job at Starbucks, where you can get as many free drinks as you want while you're on the clock, and I had waaaaaaay too many mochas and sweet teas.

But basically all those things boil down to the same thing, which is I was consuming way more calories that I could burn in a day.

I've cut back on restaurants, and if I do go out to eat, I try to check out the nutrition counts first so I can get the healthier items. Definitely not gonna cut out restaurants all together, sometimes I just don't feel like cooking or I want to go out for a special occasion. But I try to make better choices when I do go out. I also have learned to cook healthier meals at home. I no longer work for Starbucks, so I guess that solved that problem. LOL
  • NicoleLFifield
    Options
    I really do not know, I have always been fat, I remember the kids teasing me in 1st grade calling me Miss Piggy....I really packed on the pounds as an adult having worked in convenience stores for over 13 years with free soda all day, every day...One day I figured it out and I was averaging at least a gallon of Pepsi a day that I was drinking....Had myself up to 248 pounds and borderline diabetic by the time I was 30....
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Reading some of these responses reminds me how crazy the human body can be. There are so many conditions and things that have to be in balance or whooom - weight gain!

And yet the overwhelming majority of people's bodies are perfectly in balance to avoid weight gain if they simply control their caloric intake.

It's incredibly disingenuous for people to continue bringing up RARE disorders and situations that make maintaining a "normal" weight more difficult (not impossible) while failing to acknowledge that the overwhelming majority of people just don't have these issues.
  • LoryBear
    LoryBear Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've been a gamer since I was 5 years old, and since the time I was about 12 I've been slowly putting on weight. Sitting around and eating all day has it's downsides... I love my video games, but I can have the best of both worlds--A good figure and my games. :)

I mean, I was never really really overweight, I just had a lot of chub on me from it. It was evenly dispersed, but it just made me feel so bad (climbing stairs became a chore) that I just had to make a change.
  • Sammun
    Sammun Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I make excuses and I say "I'll start eating healthy tomorrow" a lot!

I wasn't big as a kid but I thought I was. I thought it didn't really matter what I ate because I was big anyway. I loved chips and as I developed I didn't really realize how big I was. I finished school at 200 pounds or so. Boobs and hips sort of appeared when they were supposed to and I didn't think much of it.
    Moved out of home, started an awful job, they didn't pay me much and I worked a long day and had a hour long commute. I would smash fruit loops in the morning, not eat all day then find a drive thru on the way home, order 2 or 3 meals and gorge all the way home, go to bed and repeat. Moved home, ate somewhat normal again and the weight dropped off... or so I thought. When I weighed in 2 months later I was 230 still. I was likely up around 250-260 before. I really knuckled down, dropped 40 pounds, picked it up again, dropped it again, picked it up. Every time something stressful happens I pick up those pounds... I eat. This time around I'm trying the "not making excuses" route.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Stuffing ridiculous amounts of food in my face and laying around too much.
  • Annabear3
    Annabear3 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've always been heavy. I've never been thin my whole life. I just never did anything about it. I enjoy eating, love sweets, and am a couch potato champion. I'm done though, I just want to get fit and healthy. I can't wait to weigh less than my husband! It'll be the first time ever in our 18 years together.
  • Lizajayne23
    Lizajayne23 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    A combo of drinking too many calories (sweet tea and several cups of sweetened coffee with cream), eating little but ridiculously bad foods, PCOS and then to top it off, my thyroid went bad and didn't get diagnosed for years so that added some, too. But mostly, it was the calories in drinks. I eat more now but much better foods when possible and other than a cup of my special coffee a day (2 if I earn it), I drink water with flavor drops. I also exercise 6 days a week now unless there is a good reason that I can't. I still have changes to work on and a way to go to reach my goal, but I'll just keep swimming. And now I have that stuck in my head... I love me some Nemo. lol
  • feedmedonuts
    feedmedonuts Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell, vending machines, uncontrolled portions, sweet tea, Frappacinos, family didn't cook....almost NEVER, laziness, TV & video games vs. exercise, second lunches and dinners.......yep, aside from the fact that my parents didn't keep groceries around regularly and we relied on fast food, I can say it was all my own doing :P
  • SWWIS
    SWWIS Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My weight has swung multiple times in my life. The most recent major weight gain (which isn't that recent anymore) came during 2009 and 2010. In 2008 I was playing lacrosse at school, club soccer, and club volleyball (which wound up competing at a national level) and I had been losing a bunch of weight from that. Then at the end of 2008 I was playing varsity volleyball at school, still losing weight from that.

The year 2009 was the polar opposite. In January, my left knee locked out of nowhere, and from then on I was constantly in excruciating pain. Since I was so seriously involved in sports and I was only 14 at the time, surgeons were hesitant to do anything besides send me to physical therapy. Long story short, that made the problem worse, and I wound up having surgery at the end of April that year. I stopped going to PT days before my volleyball tryouts in the fall. I was horribly out of shape and had already gained some weight from that, and almost every athlete has trouble trusting a freshly repaired injury. On top of that... my right knee decided to do the EXACT same thing my left one did, mid-season. I just played through it since I knew my fate was already sealed. When we lost in the county semi-finals, I couldn't even walk and had to get carried to the bus. I had surgery done on my right knee just before Christmas '09, and didn't finish PT until May '10.

I couldn't tell you a number because back then I had no desire to know, but it was probably close to 60 pounds gained based on pictures. Between going from a ridiculously active lifestyle to a completely sedentary one overnight, dealing with the constant pain, and having one of the few things that truly made me happy (competitive sports) temporarily removed from my life, I was a depressed, angry teenager, and I ate my feelings away.

Now that I've been in college for two years I've shed some of the weight (at least visibly, I know I've put on some muscle too), I think I'm ready to finally start tracking my weight and make a serious effort to shed the rest of it. Carrying around the baggage of my knee surgeries is, ironically, bad for my knees and I need to do something about it.
  • Jim1960
    Jim1960 Posts: 194
    Options
    Growing up I was VERY active and I was involved with competitive swimming. In my teenage years until around 17 I swam at least 2 hours a day - hard. I was on a Michael Phelps diet - I could eat anything and everything - sometimes around 10,000 calories a day - and not gain any bad weight. I was adding muscle and growing - I ended up at 6'2" and a very healthy and fairly muscular 180lbs.

Then I went to college in Computer science. I was still active; but no where near as much as when I was swimming. Couldn't afford my old diet so things stayed ok - but I put on a few pounds. But not bad.

Then I graduated and got a job. Now I could afford that 10,000 calorie eating habit from my youth. But I had lost the exercise habit and stayed pinned to a computer screen all the time. Not to mention the fact that I "needed" caffeine; and my preferred means of getting it was Mt Dew. While I really didn't eat 10,000 calories a day like I used to; I definitely ate alot. And the inevitable happened. I topped out at a touch over 400.
  • Leighsters
    Leighsters Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    ate more than I burned.
    any other excuse is bull****
  • kbeloved
    kbeloved Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    started with the job at the ice cream store and would always take a bunch of ice cream home
    then when i got fired from the ice cream store for giving out free ice cream i went to taco bell practically every night and drove instead of walked everywhere
    and smoked a ton of pot....
    then i got a desk job quit pot and didn't exercise whatsoever
    80lbs and 5 years later.....
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes (not the same as type 2), and was underweight at the time. Back then, the treatment methods were not nearly as advanced as today. So the endocrinologist and CDE basically came up with insulin doses and food amounts (based on the no longer used exchange diet). I had to eat the same number of exchanges for each meal category (i.e. at the same times each day).

At first, it was tough to eat that much, and I was basically being told to "eat, eat, eat!" After a few months, it became easier as I gained weight and appetite. Within 1 year, I had doubled my weight. After a few years, I had gained so much weight that I developed type 2 diabetes as well. My appetite continued to increase, and I developed Hashimoto's disease (which is common for those of us with auto-immune disorders such as type 1 diabetes). Since I don't make amylin, I am not able to regulate digestion speed, which means that I can be hungry again shortly after eating.

Since type 1 diabetes treatment methods have improved to allow flexibility in meal times and amounts, I've eaten what I wanted and steadily gained weight. Whenever I tried to lose weight, I would end up with hypoglycemia... treatment for that means I have to eat more calories, which cancels out the benefits of exercise I would have just completed. I tried for years, on occasion, to lose weight and would always give up because it wasn't working. I have finally figured out how to very very very slowly lose weight safely, and that is what I'm doing now.
  • horsehockey
    horsehockey Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Years of inattentiveness + a desk job, and the weight slowly just packed on. There's more to it than that of course, but that's the general story :).
  • Hybrice
    Hybrice Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Wow that's a hard one....erm I think for me it began in Uni, final year. The majority of which was spent in my room or in the lab on my *kitten* doing very little other than revising/working. I fueled these stints on energy drink and often (and I mean OFTEN) partook of convenience/fast food because I simply didn't want to waste time cooking etc. During my spare time I'd sit and play games at my computer.

That kind of followed on from there, once I got a job it was working at a desk, I'd go home by bus, sit at a desk, eat poor food and game. Then I met my girlfriend and a year later we had a baby, which led to more restless nights, energy drinks and convenience food.

Only now am I doing anything about it, now she is older and sleeps through the nights!