Is it normal to severely bloat on a low carb diet?

Options
I started low carb 3 days ago, I had 80g of carbs on the first day, around 30g second day and 70g third day. Today is the 4th day and I've had 40g of carbs today...but I'm constantly bloated..I'm drinking around a liter of water, and I've been to the toilet too, so my bowels are working fine, but I look like I'm pregnant! (No I'm not pregnant!!) and I really feel ****! Plus I seemed to have gain weight rather than lose...only 300g or so, but still!

I also started my day with green tea every day!

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    What di you add to take the place of the carbs?
  • lilika_49
    lilika_49 Posts: 53
    Options
    I added fat and protein! Lean meats, salmon, turkey, chicken and lean beef! Almost no added oil! Everything grilled ! Unless I have creamy buttery scrambled egg (real butter) , is that what you meant, oh...and nuts!
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Give it a few more days, it goes away in a week or so.
  • lilika_49
    Options
    I hope so..but I when I started I was 57.0 and 4 days later in 57.2...should I lower carbs even more?
  • RM95NM88
    RM95NM88 Posts: 9
    Options
    Don't worry about it. I started low carbing last Sunday and I was extremely bloated on Tuesday til Thursday. when I checked I'd gained 2kg (about 4lbs) and 3cm around my waist. I wanted to cry but my mom told me to give it another week. Turns out I only needed another day. The bloating stopped yesterday and I actually look slimmer than when I started. I lost 3kg after the bloating so... It might just be your body getting used to the changes?

I have no idea why it happens because I'm not a medical expert but I hope my little personal experience helps. :-)
  • lilika_49
    Options
    Don't worry about it. I started low carbing last Sunday and I was extremely bloated on Tuesday til Thursday. when I checked I'd gained 2kg (about 4lbs) and 3cm around my waist. I wanted to cry but my mom told me to give it another week. Turns out I only needed another day. The bloating stopped yesterday and I actually look slimmer than when I started. I lost 3kg after the bloating so... It might just be your body getting used to the changes?

I have no idea why it happens because I'm not a medical expert but I hope my little personal experience helps. :-)

Ah thank you so much! That makes me feel a lot better! Cause I keep hearing how people feel 'a fog has been lifted by day 3 and feel great' and I am not feeling anything like that haha! But I'm gonna carry on! How many g of carbs were you on in proportion to fat ?
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    DO you have any medical reason to eat a low carb diet? Because if not, what you are doing is completely unnecessary. Carbohydrates are fuel. They are a macronutrient, which means we need lots of them to function properly. Eat at a deficit of whatever types of food you want, (I'd recommend 80% healthy food and 20% whatever else you want) and you will lose weight, without any of the low-carb side effects, like feeling "in a fog" or feeling weak and cranky. These are not good signs, ever, and should be taken as a sign that something is wrong. Feed your body properly and you won't have to push through feeling like crap.
  • lilika_49
    Options
    DO you have any medical reason to eat a low carb diet? Because if not, what you are doing is completely unnecessary. Carbohydrates are fuel. They are a macronutrient, which means we need lots of them to function properly. Eat at a deficit of whatever types of food you want, (I'd recommend 80% healthy food and 20% whatever else you want) and you will lose weight, without any of the low-carb side effects, like feeling "in a fog" or feeling weak and cranky. These are not good signs, ever, and should be taken as a sign that something is wrong. Feed your body properly and you won't have to push through feeling like crap.

Unfortunately yes...I never diet in my life because I've always had food in moderation and exercised and I've never had weight problems. But due to an extremely stressful time in my life in December, my body went through a lot of strain...I've developed polycystic ovarian syndrome and the GP has asked me to go on this low carb diet for a couple of months to balance my insulin levels..I have always been 52 kg in my adult life and I'm 5'3 but in a short space of time since December I've put on 5 kilos which is unlike me and the doctors can only link it to the insulin imbalance caused by cysts. They've also put me back on contraceptive pills to kick start my system as I haven't had a period since December either!
  • RM95NM88
    RM95NM88 Posts: 9
    Options

Ah thank you so much! That makes me feel a lot better! Cause I keep hearing how people feel 'a fog has been lifted by day 3 and feel great' and I am not feeling anything like that haha! But I'm gonna carry on! How many g of carbs were you on in proportion to fat ?

I average about 100g of carbs and 30g of fat a day. Big drop compared to 200g of carbs a day.
    I've only focused on lowering my carb intake and haven't paid much attention to how much fat I've been eating because if I focus on too many aspects of my diet I'll go crazy. I've observed that once you fix your carb intake the rest falls into place.
  • lilika_49
    Options

I average about 100g of carbs and 30g of fat a day. Big drop compared to 200g of carbs a day.
    I've only focused on lowering my carb intake and haven't paid much attention to how much fat I've been eating because if I focus on too many aspects of my diet I'll go crazy. I've observed that once you fix your carb intake the rest falls into place.

Ah thank you...I had a carb intake of nearly 200 too...all my life I think...And mainly from fruit funnily enough (And a cheeky chocolate here and there!) I rarely eat pasta, rice of potatoes.. I love bread, but only baguettes, french breads etc...my downfall is biscuits and pastry! But I've cut those out for now! I had a mini brownie yesterday, but still managed to keep my carbs under 50...I hope my body adjusts soon...it's rather frustrating! (I'm not a big alcohol drinker either...very occasionally, I have a glass or two of red with my meal!)
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that by removing grains from my diet I was also removing a lot of the fiber. I have to make a conscious effort to get some fiber, which of course affects the GI system. I average 100-120 gm/ day carbs, which isn't crazy low but much less than I was eating before.
  • peppiee
    peppiee Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    When I reduce carbs, I lose a lot of water weight. I am always peeing. The only thing that would bloat me is certain types of fiber. For example, Fiber one bars or oatmeal with added fiber. Can't eat them, get stomach cramps Personally, I feel the loss ends up being temporary, and you do need carbs for fuel. I just try to stick with good carbs,and cut out the processed stuff.
  • lilika_49
    Options
    according to MFP, today after breakfast and lunch, I've had 42g of fat, and 13g of carbs...is that too much fat? My absolute limit is 67g of fat and 60g of carbs
  • lilika_49
    Options
    Thank you for suggestions people to NOT remove carbs from my diet...can I stress again...THIS IS NOT a personal choice! I am under strict instructions by my GP to keep carb levels low for two months due to an insulin imbalance! I normally love fruit and carbs as much as the next person, and always encourage a diet of moderation!! BUT PLEASE, don't tell me it's wrong to go low carb..I have no other choice at the moment!! All I need to know is what to do to avoid bloating, do this thing the right way, and get my insulin levels in check!! Thank you!!
  • lilika_49
    Options
    I've noticed that by removing grains from my diet I was also removing a lot of the fiber. I have to make a conscious effort to get some fiber, which of course affects the GI system. I average 100-120 gm/ day carbs, which isn't crazy low but much less than I was eating before.

yea, I have to really pay attention to the amount of fiber I'm getting, but I haven't found that challenging so far...I still have avocados, broccoli, raspberries and such in my diet! So I'm hoping the fiber intake is still alright!!
  • lilika_49
    Options
    When I reduce carbs, I lose a lot of water weight. I am always peeing. The only thing that would bloat me is certain types of fiber. For example, Fiber one bars or oatmeal with added fiber. Can't eat them, get stomach cramps Personally, I feel the loss ends up being temporary, and you do need carbs for fuel. I just try to stick with good carbs,and cut out the processed stuff.

Thank you! I rarely eat processed food. I think the only thing I can think of, is the Belvita biscuits I regularly have for breakfast, which I have now cut out temporarily! I know I need carbs for fuel, but due to medical reasons I have to keep my carb levels low for two months!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Belvita biscuits are 68% carbohydrate, a breakfast based on egg would be better.

You don't need carbs for fuel, fat has double the fuel per gram.

If you were shooting for say 1600 calories with 40g of carbs and 100g of protein you need about 115g to make it add up.
  • lilika_49
    Options
    Belvita biscuits are 68% carbohydrate, a breakfast based on egg would be better.

You don't need carbs for fuel, fat has double the fuel per gram.

If you were shooting for say 1600 calories with 40g of carbs and 100g of protein you need about 115g to make it add up.

Yes, I became aware of that, which is why I've cut them out as I mentioned lol! I've been having things like scrambled eggs with salmon, or turkey and egg, or smoked salmon and cheese for breakfast!