Ideal Weight but Flabby

Options
Hi, I know you heard this a lot, but I still haven't found a clear answer yet.
I weigh 72 Kilos (158 lbs) and I'm 176 cm tall. I've lost about 38 kg in the last six months (84lbs). I did cardio training from the beginning but I only started doing strength training three weeks ago.
I think my weight is ideal, but I'm still flabby and have a lot of fat (Belly fat and chest fat).
My questions are: What should I do now? - Should I lose more weight?
Thanks.

Replies

• Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Bulk and lift heavy weights. Losing more weight will make you look worse.
  • mrzdew
    mrzdew Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    ^im with him lift some weights it will definitely help with what a lot of people on here call being "skinny fat" with the added benefit of boosting your metabolism (so you will still burn fat) !
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Bulk and lift heavy weights. Losing more weight will make you look worse.

I would also agree with this. Work on making more definition in those muscles and do daily cardio. Drink plenty of water and get a balanced diet. It will even out soon enough.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    all the above is great advice - either eat at maintenance or 100-200 calories over.

What you need is a recomp - so lift heavy - meet your protein and fat macros.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Keep doing the strength training. I'd stop dieting and just focus on body composition work...you could do a slow bulk too. Have patience...body comp is a very slow process, 4 weeks is a drop in the bucket. No biggie though, you should be doing some form of resistance training for the rest of your life.
  • fancyface1955
    fancyface1955 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm in the same boat!!! I'm 5'4 at 118lbs. (my goal was just 120lbs) I'm happy with my weight, but i'm still flabby! I've heard of this thing called "skinny-fat". I've finally got into my "goal" jeans, but I just want to get rid of the flabby areas in my lower stomach and thighs. I'm told that will be the last to go. Thank you for posting and sharing. I hope to gain some ideas and insight from all the people who respond to your post. Good luck to you- I'm glad i'm not the only one.
  • mikead7
    mikead7 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the replies! What areas do you think I should work on the most?
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the replies! What areas do you think I should work on the most?

If you are new to lifting weights - looking into Stronglifts 5x5 it's a great starter.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Do a good, full body lifting routine; don't worry about isolating certain areas or whatever. You're going to have the greatest benefit doing a full body routine that emphasizes compound movements. I would recommend Starting Strength of Strong Lifts 5x5...these are beginner strength programs that will build an awesome foundation of strength and power to take with you into more advanced lifting routines down the road. These may seem too easy, but trust me...as the weight goes up it will be anything but.

I know you're not a chick, but this is a good read either way and applies to both males and females....

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • mikead7
    Options
    Thanks a lot! I know it'll take a few months to see clear results but I'll work hard and do my best!
  • mikead7
    Options
  • mikead7
    Options
    Hi,

I'm in the same boat!!! I'm 5'4 at 118lbs. (my goal was just 120lbs) I'm happy with my weight, but i'm still flabby! I've heard of this thing called "skinny-fat". I've finally got into my "goal" jeans, but I just want to get rid of the flabby areas in my lower stomach and thighs. I'm told that will be the last to go. Thank you for posting and sharing. I hope to gain some ideas and insight from all the people who respond to your post. Good luck to you- I'm glad i'm not the only one.

Thanks a lot, good luck to you as well!
  • Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    There was a guy a while back who thought he needed to loose more weight after having lost 150 or so lb's and when he showed us pictures it was just excess skin. We pretty much unanimously told him that he should not loose more weight, but really focus on bulking up to fill in the skin a bit.