Anyone with herniated disc?

Options
Hey just curious if anyone else has a herniated disc(s) with sciatica? If so, have you had surgery? What exercises do you do to lose/maintain weight to prevent further injury?

Replies

• kdhamner
    kdhamner Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have 2 herniated discs, bulging discs, and an anular tear due to Degenerative Disc Disease. I started out walking when I could at first and doing my physical therapy exercises. Losing weight and strengthening my core has brought GREAT relief. I am now able to do nearly any exercise - just listening to my body when it tells me to stop.
  • jolarocknrolla
    jolarocknrolla Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    2 years ago I had a herniated disk w/ sciatica. It got so bad that I had 2 epidurals and was on Dilaudid as well as a bunch of other pills. I only started getting better after some really aggressive acupuncture therapy. after that though I had to strengthen my core, mostly with Pilates floorwork. Right now I'm lifting weights (though my deadlifts are about only 1/4th as heavy as they would be for a person at my fitness level - on the recommendation of my doc) and I'm progressing nicely. You can come back from it, just start out slow and strengthen your core which will support your back. If you get inflammation back off a bit and on intensity until your core is stronger and then ramp back up again.
  • WombatHat42
    WombatHat42 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. At the moment I cant even walk for very long. Some days I am fine to walk a bit, others I am unable to do anything and even lying down bothers it. I have 4 total but one is large and causing sciatica. I am thinking surgery in a few weeks. I did this last october and tried to continue running and lifting(except squat/deadlift) bc i didnt know what it was(NHS wouldnt diagnose me, but returned to the states and found out) but one day went running and just had a lot of pain and havent worked out since, that was the last week of June. I will speak with a PT monday to see what I can do but most likely will end up doing the surgery sooner rather than later.
  • kdhamner
    kdhamner Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    My doctor absolutely refused surgery for me, because of my age. He said the likelihood of it getting worse was very high and the chances of having to have repeated surgeries was great. A family friend had surgery at 1 year older than me and is now on full disability because it caused such horrible damage to him. Please try every method possible before opting for surgery. I was off work and everything for a full year with the last rupture before I was able to regain my ability to fully walk, exercise, and etc. It was a VERY slow and painful process. And make sure your PT is highly trained in this area - I went to one that did nothing for me - moved on to another and she was a lifesaver! I wish you the very best of luck!
  • scs2de
    scs2de Posts: 5
    Options
    I agree. Listening to your body is the most important thing with slipped discs. Your body does have the ability to heal itself, but it needs time and a mixture of rest and gentle exercise. If something makes your pain worse, stay away from it. I have two slipped discs. One in my lower back and one unusually in my neck, which means that both my arms and legs are affected by the pinged nerves. It is really easy to think oh ok I'll just move that box quickly or lift up my friend's cute baby and you will be setting yourself back rather than helping your body heal. If you can't lift 10kg maybe try 1kg. If you can't run, try walking for 10-15 minutes a day and gradually build that up and get advice from a qualified physiotherapist as to what exercises will help strengthening and stretching the right muscles for you.. They always say swimming is good for your back but the doctors and physio specifically told me to stay away from any sports including swimming for the first 12 weeks. I can now walk up to 40 minutes each day after 3 months and I am trying to introduce a bit of swimming gradually.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I had lumbar spine surgery a year and a half ago. Prior to the surgery, I was unable to put on my socks and shoes, couldn't walk much b/c I had foot drop from the nerves and so much pain in my foot and toes it was unbearable. I wouldn't suggest surgery unless you really are at that point. I'm pretty good now, able to lift weights and exercise and work as usual, but always with a healthy dose of fear of re-injury.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Double laminectomy, double discectomy on L4-5 for fully ruptured discs, Herniation on L3 -- had surgery in April 2004.

I still have chronic pain, but weight lifting has helped strengthen my back muscles to the point where I have far less pain than I used to.

I am to the point where I can pretty much do any lift, some hurt more than others--- but it's all about knowing my limits and being reasonable in my goals.

I just went and had a MRI and was cleared by my neuro to continue doing what I am doing--- as I don't have any major change in prognosis, though I am still a second surgery candidate-- which I don't want to do.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Had quite a few over the years unfortunately. Three lumbar discs are the worst as they are now very shortened following multiple herniations.
    I've been on "final warning" of fusion surgery since my early 40's when I hit low point of herniations and tearing the fibrous disc capsules (the 3 lumbar discs don't really have any nucleus left to escape) from such low level activity as washing the car or getting out of bed.

My key to recovery has been finding a fantastic osteopath (manipulation really helped my sciatica) and rehab using a gym ball to improve my core and ab strength. Worked up slowly from a very low base and have exceeded all my expectations. Very rarely take painkiller or anti-inflamatory meds now.
    (On subject of meds - an anti-spasmodic is very effective when you have an acute episode. My emergency prescription drug cocktail is diclofenac, co-codamol, diazepam.)

Only things that hurt me now are sudden, unexpected movements (like missing a step) or lifting heavy weights where I get a big vertical load. So no squats, deadlifts and need to limit shoulder press. Last week I foolishly did BW shoulder press and paid the price for a week afterwards (my motto is "you are never too old to be foolish").

I was advised to put off fusion surgery for as long as possible as often you end up needing more fusion atter a few years.
    Best of luck!
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of patients with back injuries for their electroneurophysiological studies. I have heard of spine surgeries with very mixed results from them. Even the best spine surgeons don't have perfect track records so it's something that you should consider as an absolute last resort. Even then, you want to stay away from fusions. Most fusions performed aren't necessary but they are quicker, easier and pay more than a laminectomy or a discectomy so spine surgeons are inclined to do them more often. Fusions also have a tendency to blow out the discs above and below the fused vertebrae since they now have a higher amount of flexion being imposed on them.

Louie Simmons from Westside Barbell is older than dirt and has squatted over 900lbs with multiple back surgeries and severe injuries. He attributes his amazing recovery to a device that he invented called a reverse hyperextension machine which many athletes have since started using as a way to decompress the lower back and develop the hamstrings, glutes and lower back. If you can find a gym with one it may be worth a try to start using it a couple times a week. A lot of people report successful treatment of their lower back problems from using it regularly.