How are YOU losing your weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit is great but the kind of calories you eat is important.
    It doesn't matter (in re weight loss) if you eat 1500 calories of peanut butter (16 tablespoons) or 1500 calories of carrots (4.3 kilos, or about 9.5 lb).
    If you're at a calorie deficit you're going to lose weight.
    You're going to be much happier if you're eating the carrots because you'll have more bulk & be eating more/longer, chewing more, so you'll feel more full.

One other somewhat surprising thing I found, and have been doing, is to have most of my calories for breakfast, and a much smaller dinner. That took some getting used to, because I'm generally not hungry when I wake up, don't want to be near food.
    (Breakfast now is generally a glass of milk with carnation instant breakfast, a banana, and a piece of whole-wheat bread with peanut butter & sometimes jelly.)

This study compared eating a small breakfast, medium lunch, and large dinner, [200, 500, 700 cal]
    with eating a large breakfast, medium lunch, and small dinner [700, 500, 200 cal].

"The [large breakfast] group showed greater weight loss and waist circumference reduction ... fasting glucose, insulin [&] triglycerides ... decreased significantly to a greater extent in the [large breakfast] group."

In addition, hunger was less and satiety was greater.

Here's the abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23512957
    Here's a PDF of the whole article.
    http://genetics.doctorsonly.co.il/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Jakubowicz-at-al-Obesity-2013-oby20460.pdf

"subjects assigned to high caloric intake during breakfast lost significantly more weight than those assigned to high caloric intake during the dinner"
    Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24467926
    Full text: http://www.tradewindsports.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Nutrient-Timing-and-Obesity-2014.pdf

"data suggest that a low-calorie Mediterranean diet with a higher amount of calories in the first part of the day could establish a greater reduction in fat mass and improved insulin sensitivity than a typical daily diet."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24809437

"Breakfast is associated with lower body weight ...
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24898236
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all about calorie deficit. Weigh and measure everything. Track honestly and accurately. As for exercise... If you are looking for some help in that area... A lot of gyms have a trainer on site that can help you set up a program, but no additional charge. Maybe look into it.
  • misstweedy
    misstweedy Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I mostly stay within my net calories but within those limits I eat whatever Ilike. I do most of my own cooking from scratch so there's a limit on processed stuff, and I was never a fan of soda & fast food anyway. On the other hand, I do like the occasional beer or glass of wine and I certainly like (good) chocolate. Not having anything off limits means I don't feel like I'm depriving myself and this feels like a very sustainable way of eating.

I don't do any cardio at the gym because treadmills bore me to tears, but I do cycle a lot (around 150m/week), both because I enjoy it and because it gives me more calories to eat. I know I couldn't get by on the MFP allowance.

I also strength-train three times a week, mostly with free weights and bodyweight exercises because I want to ensure I lose fat, not muscle, and also because it feels awesome.

So far, it's working for me. I have lost 10 kg since January. I know others lose much faster than that, but I'm in no hurry, I feel like I can continue this lifestyle pretty much indefinitely, and I have also taken a week off logging here and there because I was travelling and/or wanted to give myself a break.
  • Karley_Chochard
    Karley_Chochard Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I eat at least four fruits in the morning, a pound of raw greens in for lunch, and a lb of cooked greens for dinner. I do not eat after 10 because I normally go to bed around three. don't go to bed after eating or drinking anything other than water. cut out processed foods (except seaweed that stuff is amazing.) no dairy, meat, or salt. I have lost 7 lbs in less than a week by doing this. it works perfectly. try to eat as much nutrients though not the same things every day. honestly it is not fun... but getting on the scales and losing three lbs over night that's fun.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit.

How am I creating that deficit without being miserably hungry? I stopped eating foods that make me more hungry after I eat them instead of making me less hungry.
  • ladybird89
    ladybird89 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people overestimate how many calories they burn through exercise and/or underestimate the number of calories they are eating. BE CAREFUL when eating back calories. I divide my workout cals in half just to be safe.
  • Cait_G
    Cait_G Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Loving all the information in here! =) Bump!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    There are no secrets. I ate less than I burned. I didn't starve myself or set a date. I didn't whine when I hit a plateau. I just kept going.

I did everythink I needed to to get where I was going. If I triipped, I picked myself up and continued on.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I'm probably not qualified enough to give you advice since I don't need to lose that much but for me, I just eat mostly what I want but in smaller portions. I naturally gravitate to fruits and vegetables and whole foods now so that helps. I also took up more outside activities like simply walking, jogging and trying to teach my dogs to walk and run a leash properly without tripping me over. :\
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I eat at a calorie deficit. I lift weights, but that's not really about losing weight.
    I don't eat any processed foods, no grains or legumes (including peanuts, beans of all types, and soy), and I cycle my dairy consumption (one month on, one month off). I focus on getting high quality and organic proteins, including vitamin and mineral packed offal, and try to source it locally wherever possible. Also, loads of organic fruits and veggies. That's where the bulk of my budget goes.
    I eat processed foods, grains, legumes, and have dairy every day. I focus on getting protein at the best price and don't care if it is locally sourced. Also, some fruits and a lot of vegetables, actively avoiding anything labeled as organic.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I eat at a 20% deficit but don't sweat it if I eat at maintenance a couple days a week, try to stick to my macros, have sweets every day, and exercise 6 or 7 days a week... Always a mix of some kind of strength training and cardio.
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I eat at least four fruits in the morning, a pound of raw greens in for lunch, and a lb of cooked greens for dinner. I do not eat after 10 because I normally go to bed around three. don't go to bed after eating or drinking anything other than water. cut out processed foods (except seaweed that stuff is amazing.) no dairy, meat, or salt. I have lost 7 lbs in less than a week by doing this. it works perfectly. try to eat as much nutrients though not the same things every day. honestly it is not fun... but getting on the scales and losing three lbs over night that's fun.

This is absolutely terrible advice.
  • Hovercat
    Hovercat Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Keto :) It's the only thing I've been able to do to have a calorie deficit while not being hungry the whole time. I haven't even worked out yet.
    Well, not totally true, I've been on probably 6 walks in 9 months...but those probably don't count...
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I used a fitbit to walk off any excess calories
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    There are no secrets. I ate less than I burned. I didn't starve myself or set a date. I didn't whine when I hit a plateau. I just kept going.

I did everythink I needed to to get where I was going. If I triipped, I picked myself up and continued on.

Basically this, plus:

I lost 60 pounds in less than a year. From 224 to 161

I tracked my calories. I started with portion control and the 30 Day Shred, alternating with low impact cardio. Whenever I plateaued, I intensified my workout routine. You have to change things up sometimes. For me this happened about every 20 pounds lost. After losing 24 pounds, I started jogging. I went through a long plateau, then started lifting weights and paid more attention to macros. I fell off the wagon after maintaining for 2 years. Then I hired The Get In Shape Girl (www.thegetinshapeworkoutplan.com). Lost a ton of body fat through circuit training, hit, and clean eating. I highly recommend her if you are looking for a good online trainer. I worked with her for 3 months.

I'm now trying to get myself back into shape after having a baby. Right now I'm doing Fitness Blender workouts and walking, plus tracking my calories of course.
  • gettemeierc
    Options
    Wow, I'm big on energy drinks but I never knew there was a healthy energy drink on the market! I would highly recommend Awaken to anyone who is currently drinking rockstar/monster or any of that other chemical polluted crap... this stuff has NATURAL ingredients that are actually GOOD for you! I did my own research and found a review on them if anyone wants to check it out for themselves you can do so here:

http://wealthempowerment93.wordpress.com/2014/07/21/awaken-energy-drink-review/

And the link that I just ordered a case from is:

https://retiredby25.wakeupnow.com/product

Enjoy!! ;)