WHY HAVENT I LOST WEIGHT

Options
HEY ALL. I weigh 130 and am 5 foot 4. I need to lose 5 lbs, but to me and build strength mostly. My weight is in my stomach, I have a fupa, a little pouch right under my navel that I've never had to before. I've been sedentary for the last year cuz of depression so I haven't been able to hard core work out yet, but I've managed to walk at least 1-2 miles a day, usually at 3.5mph, sometimes I mix in jogging. I use a 500 cal deficit so I'm eating 1200 a day after eating back what I burn through walking, cardio and yoga. My scale hasn't come in the mail yet so I haven't weighed myself since I started 2 weeks ago. So I honestly can't say I haven't lost any at all cuz i won't know til I weigh in. But I took a pic of my belly the day I started and I'm looking at it now and it's the same. That's the only area I need to lose weight in so why isn't it shrinking? Am I being too impatient? Sorry I just figured I'd lose weight quicker than most cuz im already a healthy BMI and I went from completely sedentary aside from the work out I get playing with my toddler, to working out every day.

And please don't say 1200 is too low for my size Cuz i feel fine eating that daily and at the end of every day my mfp diary says "if ever day were like today you'd weigh 125 in 5 weeks." Well its been 2 and my stomach is still the same.

I didn't want to have to pay for anything but I'm thinking I should start the advocate 27 day challenge cuz obviously counting calories on my own isn't working. And I'm using a food scale so I am counting them pretty close to exact. Thanks in advance for all the tips.

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    2 weeks isnt going to show a visible weight loss, especially to the person in question. wait for the scale to come in, and realize that since you obviously didnt use that scale to weight yourself the first time around you probably wont see the expected results in the number it gives you. i would suggest using the new scale's first weigh in as your starting weight so that there is no error in the method of measurement
  • xxshelbyxx0818
    Options
    2 weeks isnt going to show a visible weight loss, especially to the person in question. wait for the scale to come in, and realize that since you obviously didnt use that scale to weight yourself the first time around you probably wont see the expected results in the number it gives you. i would suggest using the new scale's first weigh in as your starting weight so that there is no error in the method of measurement

I know it just sucks cuz I've been doing it for two weeks so it sucks to use that as my measuring point but I don't have a choice now cuz guess what? I frickin weighed myself and I'm 131! So I started at a higher weight than I thought anyways! ! Grrrr. My mom says since I'm gaining muscle I may not lose the weight I want anyways is that true?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I doubt you'd 'see' results in your body after just a few days. 1-2 pounds is not necessarily visible.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Two weeks isn't a good gauge on progress. It's only two weeks.

No. You aren't building muscle on 1200 calories and strictly cardio.

You don't have much weight to lose, so I don't think 1200 calories is enough. I think you should figure out tour TDEE and do a slight deficit. Pick up a free weight heavy lifting routine like all pro, strong lifts 5x5, etc.

Body fat is genetics. You cannot spot reduce.

Getting about 1g per pound of lean body mass in protein and strength training will help retain your muscle in a deficit. You can build strength without adding muscle, it'll just be slower going.

The reason for taking weight loss slower is with less weight to lose, your body is more likely to jeopardize muscle along with fat, which Will not give you desired results. Focus on the mirror and measurements over the scale.

This is a good read too

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Well if you are going from being sedentary to being moderately active your cells will increase their water content so that they can more efficiently produce energy via the krebs cycle. Since you are staying the same weight I would suggest not eating back your calories burned from your 1-2 mile's of exercise and see if that helps. I eat 1500 calories, strength train and walk 5 miles a day at a rate between 3.5 and 4mph and don't eat back my calories. I've seen moderate strength gains, improved energy and alertness, and I've dropped more than 12 lb's in the last 30 days. That said I am a 24 year old male that weighs a little less than 215 so it may not translate to your particular body. I also had a lot of fluctuation in my weight trend the first week and a half of this cycle and only from the 2nd to 4th week did I see consistent results at the scale.
  • xxshelbyxx0818
    Options

You don't have much weight to lose, so I don't think 1200 calories is enough. I think you should figure out tour TDEE and do a slight deficit. Pick up a free weight heavy lifting routine like all pro, strong lifts 5x5, etc.

Getting about 1g per pound of lean body mass in protein and strength training will help retain your muscle in a deficit. You can build strength without adding muscle, it'll just be slower going.

The reason for taking weight loss slower is with less weight to lose, your body is more likely to jeopardize muscle along with fat, which Will not give you desired results. Focus on the mirror and measurements over the scale.

This is a good read too

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    Ok I'll read the link in the morning, but I don't know what any of the stuff you said is cuz im new to exercise. I don't go to a gym though so do I need to for such exercises? And do you mean you don't think 1200 calories is enough to eat or you don't think it's low enough to eat at? And I have been focusing on the mirror I just don't see results except in my legs. Im not trying to spot reduce I just know my stomach is what needs it the most, or at all actually. Can't i lose these few pounds just by walking jogging yoga and some cardio ? I also do a circuit training routine that I found on neRd fitness. How should I measure cuz I've done it before? Can you pm me?
  • xxshelbyxx0818
    Options
    Well if you are going from being sedentary to being moderately active your cells will increase their water content so that they can more efficiently produce energy via the krebs cycle. Since you are staying the same weight I would suggest not eating back your calories burned from your 1-2 mile's of exercise and see if that helps. I eat 1500 calories, strength train and walk 5 miles a day at a rate between 3.5 and 4mph and don't eat back my calories. I've seen moderate strength gains, improved energy and alertness, and I've dropped more than 12 lb's in the last 30 days. That said I am a 24 year old male that weighs a little less than 215 so it may not translate to your particular body. I also had a lot of fluctuation in my weight trend the first week and a half of this cycle and only from the 2nd to 4th week did I see consistent results at the scale.

Yeah but if you eat 1500 a day and don't eat what you burn then aren't you eating not enough at all for your size ? I mean obviously you lost a ton of weight but isn't it better to lose it slower than quicker?
  • xxshelbyxx0818
    Options

This is a good read too

Oh and I did my tdee on the calculator on the website specially for that and it said 1830 is my tedee so what does that mean in terms of calories I should eat? Someone said subtract 10% from that and eat that but that seems a lot if I'm gonna be working out cuz id be burning it off anyways...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    I've heard the belly will be the last to go??
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

This is a good read too

Oh and I did my tdee on the calculator on the website specially for that and it said 1830 is my tedee so what does that mean in terms of calories I should eat? Someone said subtract 10% from that and eat that but that seems a lot if I'm gonna be working out cuz id be burning it off anyways...

1650ish is not a lot. You would not eat back exercise calories with that method, as you should already have calculated it into your calories. You would eat that amount every day, irregardless of exercise.

I'm 5'3.5" and lost most of my weight at around 1900 with the TDEE method.
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    pleasurelittletreasure Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I also thing that a photo isn't going to be as good as a measuring tape to let you know if you've lost weight in your tummy. Lighting could be different. Angle could be different.
  • tltate
    tltate Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It took me about two weeks to lose any weight. Then it started to happen a little quicker around the 4th week. It has now been 8 weeks and I have only lost 10 pounds. So it could take a while. And I have been working out, weight lifting and cardio, five days a week. Keep going. It will eventually come off.
  • st0rmagedd0n
    st0rmagedd0n Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    at the end of every day my mfp diary says "if ever day were like today you'd weigh 125 in 5 weeks." Well its been 2 and my stomach is still the same.

Hi there! I'm almost your exact height and weight, with almost exactly the same amount to lose, and MFP's prediction for where I'll be in five weeks hasn't been accurate for me for a while now. Technically speaking, you're at a healthy weight for your body, so it might just be that you're going to lose those last five a little slower than MFP expects.

My advice is to just stick with it and be patient!
  • xxshelbyxx0818
    Options

This is a good read too

1650ish is not a lot. You would not eat back exercise calories with that method, as you should already have calculated it into your calories. You would eat that amount every day, irregardless of exercise.

I'm 5'3.5" and lost most of my weight at around 1900 with the TDEE method.

I just don't understand how that works so can u please explain how I could possibly eat 1900 calories a day when 1700 is the recommended for a 23 year old 5 foot 4 130 lb woman??
  • xxshelbyxx0818
    Options
    at the end of every day my mfp diary says "if ever day were like today you'd weigh 125 in 5 weeks." Well its been 2 and my stomach is still the same.

Hi there! I'm almost your exact height and weight, with almost exactly the same amount to lose, and MFP's prediction for where I'll be in five weeks hasn't been accurate for me for a while now. Technically speaking, you're at a healthy weight for your body, so it might just be that you're going to lose those last five a little slower than MFP expects.

My advice is to just stick with it and be patient!

Okay, thanks. I just don't get why mfp calculator does that if it isn't correct. Like its making me wonder why the hell I haven't lost weight yet lol. How has yours been going? Like a half pound a week or more? Cuz mfp says I can lose a half lb a week doing only 3 days of 10 min of exercise each time which doesn't make sense to me, especially since I've been doing more than that and haven't lose the weight.
  • xxshelbyxx0818
    Options
    It took me about two weeks to lose any weight. Then it started to happen a little quicker around the 4th week. It has now been 8 weeks and I have only lost 10 pounds. So it could take a while. And I have been working out, weight lifting and cardio, five days a week. Keep going. It will eventually come off.

Ok thanks for the tip :) and congrats on the weight you HAVE lost so far! Maybe since I only have a few lbs to lose its coming off a lower cuz it took so long to come on to begin with?
  • xxshelbyxx0818
    Options
    I also thing that a photo isn't going to be as good as a measuring tape to let you know if you've lost weight in your tummy. Lighting could be different. Angle could be different.
    I know I've been thinking that lately but I'm trying to do what I see everyone else doing while is taking the exact same pose in the exact same room, lighting, outfit etc and u can really see the results. When I did that, I couldn't see a damn thing, but it's like I could FEEL it in me that I wasn't as heavy as before I started. I don't feel as sticky-outy, like my little weight I do have doesn't feel like it's bouncing around or not firm anymore. I just can't see it.

How do I do the measuring right because I always do it wrong I've done it wrong when ordering my clothes and screwed myself before...
  • xxshelbyxx0818
    Options

This is a good read too

What is resistance training and also, if I'm doing body measurements, how come one of them isn't around the love handle areas? I don't need to lose weight in my "waist" or my hips lol... I'm just so friggin impatient and confused.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options

This is a good read too

What is resistance training and also, if I'm doing body measurements, how come one of them isn't around the love handle areas? I don't need to lose weight in my "waist" or my hips lol... I'm just so friggin impatient and confused.

Did you take the time to read the thread that was linked as you said you would?

I feel like it would help you understand TDEE and what people are talking about here. :)

EDIT to attempt to provide more resources:

Read up on these threads to get a grip on your calories:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=sexypants

Also, this group is great:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-

For beginner weight training programs:

You can look into one of these equipment-required programs:

--Stronglifts 5x5
    --Starting Strength
    --New Rules of Lifting for Women

I love NROL4W. :) SL 5x5 is another popular program, but I do like the information put forth in the NROL4W book even if you do not follow the routine. There is also a book called Starting Strength that is great for beginners (it has a lot of good information).

I would recommend really reading up/watching videos on form though. I also HIGHLY recommend getting a trainer for a few sessions just to make sure your form is proper (you don't need to keep them long term).

You can also look into these non-equipment-required things:

--You Are Your Own Gym
    --www.nerdfitness.com
    --Convict Conditioning

Good luck! <3
  • Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options

Yeah but if you eat 1500 a day and don't eat what you burn then aren't you eating not enough at all for your size ? I mean obviously you lost a ton of weight but isn't it better to lose it slower than quicker?

I wouldn't say that loosing slower is better. I would agree that there are certain risks that come with loosing a lot of weight quickly that one should recognize. For example loss of muscle mass while on a severely restricted diet is certainly a possibility. Part of it has to do with how efficient one's body is at metabolizing fat. There is also the possibility of reduced energy and increased hunger. I've learned over many years how my body responds to different types of food and can use this knowledge to my advantage. In my personal experience eating foods rich in fiber and nutrients(vegetables) with a serving of protein will stave off any hunger cravings I may have for at least 5-6 hours. I avoid foods with easily digestible sugars like those from many processed foods and fruits as they only satiate my hunger for an hour or so, but I will use the sugar high they give me to my advantage by stacking them before a workout. In general I avoid fast food, sweats, chips and any food that people look at as being junk because they are calorifically dense and don't satiate my hunger for longer than an hour or two.