Does fasting for 24 hours after a binge reverse it at all?

Options
I used to binge a lot more (weekly) than I do now. I'll have days where I go over by a few hundred calories here and there, but on occasion (about once/twice a month) I binge. I'm not sure how many calories I took in yesterday, though I roughly estimated it to be over 3,000 calories.

My normal intake is anywhere from 1,200 to 1,600. Would fasting for twenty four hours help me not gain weight from the binge? I'm not going to weigh in until next week anyway, but it still worries me a lot.

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    this is an unhealthy way to look at food.

also is that a recent picture of you in the photo? where are those 15 pounds you want to lose going to come from?
  • nykismile
    nykismile Posts: 198
    Options
    Actually, I set that goal quite some time ago, and just never bothered to enter in my new weight. Currently I weigh around 115 lbs. I'd like to get down to 110 lbs at the least. So it's more like somewhere between 5-10 lbs, not 15.
  • Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options

also is that a recent picture of you in the photo? where are those 15 pounds you want to lose going to come from?

I second that, if anything she needs to put on 3-5 lb's of lean mass.
  • nykismile
    Options

I would really rather not.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Actually, I set that goal quite some time ago, and just never bothered to enter in my new weight. Currently I weigh around 115 lbs. I'd like to get down to 110 lbs at the least. So it's more like somewhere between 5-10 lbs, not 15.

I was just reading your prior posts and at your height of 5'5" (and frankly, from those photos) you are already underweight. Your calories are already too low.

Have you considered exploring counseling for your disordered relationship with food/weight?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    My normal intake is anywhere from 1,200 to 1,600. Would fasting for twenty four hours help me not gain weight from the binge? I'm not going to weigh in until next week anyway, but it still worries me a lot.
    According to your ticker, you want to lose 15 lbs. Set your goal to .5 lb. per week—which is way more than 1,200 calories. Chronic undereating won't get you to your goal any faster. And it can cause bingeing.

Eat "good" (whatever that means to you) 80% of the time. Fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your calorie goal. Deprivation can lead to bingeing.

When you binge, log it accurately & honestly. Then forgive yourself & move on. Get back to eating normally. The binge/starve cycle you describe is textbook disordered eating.

Please, read the Sexypants post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I would think that fasting would increase the likelihood of another binge and set you up to enter back into that cycle.
  • Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options

Not sure what your goal body is, but I know some skinny girls who look at "flabby" parts of their body and think its fat, when it's just untoned muscle.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You don't put on fat from one binge, that's not how it works.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

Why not? You said in a post last month you reached your goal weight but you weren't satisfied with how you look. In which case you would want to do a body recomp. Weights + maintenance calories will most likely give you the look your after

As for fasting after a binge...I can only see that leading to another binge.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Go and speak to a doctor or medical professional. you need to deal with your attitude on food otherwise you will have long term problems. Good luck
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I would think that fasting would increase the likelihood of another binge and set you up to enter back into that cycle.

This. And not to mention the chronic under eating that you are doing.

110 pounds for your height will put you into the underweight category. You really are on the verge of doing long term damage to your body, and you will be fighting a lot of battles in your 30s if you don't get a handle on this situation now.

I really suggest for one, that you start weight training, you will see some nice changes to your body and might surprise yourself. And two, go see a counselor or someone else who is older and responsible that you trust. You sound like you have the starts of a very unhealthy relationship with food and your body.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Look at the pictures in this thread, they show just how hot weight lifting can make a woman look regardless of age:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/987513-lifting-is-the-most-horrible-thing-to-a-woman-since-twiggy?hl=twiggy
  • nykismile
    Options
    Thank you to all of those who are concerned.

This isn't the start of an unhealthy relationship with food, it's the end. I've been hospitalized before for an eating disorder but that's behind me now. I'm healthier (not entirely, but getting there) and I'm willing to compromise on some things.

I've had doctors tell me that 110 lbs would be okay for my height and frame. No one in real life says I look too thin. My profile pic is recent as well.
  • oksanatkachuk
    oksanatkachuk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Good that u know u have an issue. I had bulimia in teens and it left me with +\- 30 pounds every six months, saggy boobs and bad teeth.
    It's all history now coz I used powerful drug -the whole mighty truth about nutrition and exercise. Educate urself, learn more information. I m still learning and will never stop
  • alliemay1024
    alliemay1024 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Exactly.. So much of the time it's the body image that is distorted instead of the body. I agree that its the need for toning in your case. I would LOVE to have your body type. I am working on that.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Seek help
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    another vote for starting lifting...but I sense that's not what OP is after...not all young women are for strong and toned look...
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Your calories are already too low.

Have you considered exploring counseling for your disordered relationship with food/weight?

Yeah...all of this. Your posts reflect a somewhat alarming mentality and warped relationship with food. Food is fuel. It is not the enemy, and your patterns of binging and purging (fasting after a binge is considered a purge) raise eyebrows, to say the least. Please talk to a professional counselor about this, and possibly explore your compulsion to weigh a specific number on a scale, when you are already quite thin.
  • GuineaPiglet
    GuineaPiglet Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Since you are recovering from an eating disorder, I'm not sure seeking advice in an open forum is your best bet. Please talk to your doctor/counselor about any questions relating to binging/fasting and the possible health repercussions from that behavior.