Amount of protein to gain muscles

Options
About how much protein would I need to gain muscle? (Per day)

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    0.8 - 1g per 1 lb body weight.

To add muscle, you'd need to be in calorie surplus too (and use a progressive strength programme).
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Do you know your LBM(lean body mass)? If so, it is recommended between .8 to 1 gram per LBM. If you do not know your LBM go to a gym with a BIA scale or find someone who has calipers to determine it. Hope this helps.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    You do not need protein for your fat .. that is why you only need it for your lbm .. which is really your weight less your fat.

And .. yes 1g per lb of lbm is a good target.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    0.8 - 1g per 1 lb body weight.

To add muscle, you'd need to be in calorie surplus too (and use a progressive strength programme).

Not 100% true ... but it does definitely help. I had newbie gains ... while I was in a deficit, but I was doing tons of resistance training. But I have noticed more muscle gains .. in the last 3 months that I have been in a surplus position.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Ok. Now I understand the calculation. I was trying to how you calculated calories per day if you weren't doing cardio. I had come to the point of figuring that you would have to be eating more calories than a goal posted, but wasn't sure how to calculte some of it.

I have 19.6% body fat, which means that I have 80.4% LBM. I'm going to use that to work out my protein level.
  • 3laine75
    Options
    You do not need protein for your fat .. that is why you only need it for your lbm .. which is really your weight less your fat.

And .. yes 1g per lb of lbm is a good target.

You guys are right, of course - I like to err on the side of cation though and make sure i'm getting enough (and I love meat so it's not an issue).

If I'm honest, I don't even know the exact minimums (for protein) and also believe it may be different from person to person - im definitely a 'hard gainer'. I've even seen people using 1.5 per body weight although even this would be overkill for me.

Progressive overload is a must - Our bodies can convert excess protein to fat just the same as carbs and fat.

OP has a good idea of the range he can work in now (plus the benefits of age, hormones etc) from all the above answers :)
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    There are several studies done since the 80s proving that you need .55g/1lb of LEAN muscle mass, at the least, to gain muscle. Anything past .8g is pretty much waste.
  • shmoony
    shmoony Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    There are several studies done since the 80s proving that you need .55g/1lb of LEAN muscle mass, at the least, to gain muscle. Anything past .8g is pretty much waste.

Not sure what you mean by waste. It's still calories. If you're trying to eat at a surplus, get it from wherever. I find it hard to eat more carbs than protein. I'm usually at about 220 each a day with a lbm around 150. Works for me. Seeing strength and size gains.
  • 3laine75
    Options

Not sure what you mean by waste. It's still calories. If you're trying to eat at a surplus, get it from wherever. I find it hard to eat more carbs than protein. I'm usually at about 220 each a day with a lbm around 150. Works for me. Seeing strength and size gains.

Haha totally agree. How can a nice fillet steak ever be viewed as a waste?!
  • TheMotivator123
    Options
    1 gram of protein per lb of body weight but you also need carbs. Remember Manitance and cutting you need proteins/fats sand for building you need proteins/ carbs.

A good 50% carbs, 30% protein, and 20% fat you will bulk.