BMR and daily calories

Options
Ok guys I have just worked out my BMR which comes out at 1499 calories a day mfp currently has me at 1250 a day.

From what I have been reading this isn't good should I up my calories to that in order to lose weight?

thanks April :drinker:

Replies

• Booda101
    Booda101 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Have you also calculated your TDEE? Once you have that, then you can determine what percentage to subtract to get how many calories you should be consuming. That number should lie somewhere in between your BMR and TDEE.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    MFP bases your calorie goals on the amount of activity you tell it, so if you say you are sedentary you will also need to account for any additional calories you burn from exercise or when you're out and about.

really there isnt too much of a difference number wise if you do it the MFP way vs doing it the TDEE way
  • aprilmenzies1
    aprilmenzies1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi I just calculated that and its 2063.

So I should eat between 1500 and 2063 to lose weight?

thanks

April
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    MFP assumes you will be eating back your exercise calories. When calculating your intake, you told it how active you are so it incorporated that into the calculation. For example, if you said you were lightly active, it might think you need to eat 1700 to lose 1/2 pound a week. Of that, 450 is accounted for by the exercise you said you would be doing. So it truly expects you to eat 1700 and "net" 1250 by exercising off 450 of those. Thus you will be eating above your BMR after all.
  • Booda101
    Booda101 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
  • aprilmenzies1
    Options
    ok I think I have been a bit hard on myself before I started reading all the threads on here I thought that I was sedentary but I do the 30 day shed every day and walk my dads dogs so may be more lightly active (I care for my dad and have 3 kids). I have redone the calculation and its suggesting 1460 a day. I will give this a try for a few weeks and hopefully wont feel so hungry now!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Hi I just calculated that and its 2063.

So I should eat between 1500 and 2063 to lose weight?

thanks

April

if 2063 is your maintenance TDEE (takes into account the weekly average of your workouts and general activity) and that's the way you want to set up your tracking, maybe do TDEE - 10% which leaves you with 1857 calories.
    Go to profile change goals and manually input 1857 as your daily goal.

then if/when you do exercise and what to log the time, make sure to manually log the calories burned as 1 otherwise it will be counted twice.

hope that helps.. also keep in mind that the formulae are based on averages, your numbers might be higher or lower. just give some time to see how your body reacts
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Never go below BMR, that is what your body needs for energy when you are in a coma
  • aprilmenzies1
    Options
    Thanks guys
    I think I have it now

think I need a degree to lose weight haven't had to do so much work in years! its def brain exercise too! lol

April xo:laugh: