2»

Replies

• Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah... And turkey bacon
  • aprettykitty84
    Options
    Good thread...how many times a week are you all going grocery shopping? Do you think the list helps keep you on track? It seems like Im at the grocery store everyday if Im not at Super Wal-Mart in the grocery aisles.

I go shopping once a week if we need anything. I have a menu planner that I fill out Saturday night for the following week. If I have all the ingredients I don't go shopping at all and will just send my husband to stop after work for fruits and veggies. Make a list and stick to it. Also don't take your cart down the aisles. Park your cart at the end of the aisle and go directly to what you need. This will help prevent impulse buys because you won't notice everything else on the shelf.

Shopping the perimeter of the store is the best you can do, it's all the fresh items. I usually go down the cereal aisle to get oatmeal, the pasta aisle to get spaghetti, and the soda aisle to get bottled water. Most everything else is purchased on the perimeter.
  • reikichris
    Options
    Spinach
    Romaine Lettuce
    Carrots
    Celery
    Green Bell Peppers
    Ortria Yogurt Feta and Dill Dip
    Broccoli
    Green Beans
    English Cucumber
    Sunflower Seeds
    Flatout Original Light
    Chick Peas
    Black Beans
    Whole Wheat Couscous
    Boca Vegan Original
    Yogurt Plus Fiber
    Baby Bell Light Cheese
  • reikichris
    Options
    I love reading all of the lists! Great thread and great ideas. Thanks all!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I go shopping every Sunday, about $100.

Lots of yogurt
    skim milk
    liquid egg whites
    eggs
    diet soda
    sparkling waters
    natural peanut butter
    whole oats
    raisins
    cinnamon
    some sort of high fiber cereal
    crystal light Energy Wild Strawberry
    mandarin oranges
    natural no sugar added applesauce
    salsa (by the GALLON)
    natural skinless almonds
    granola
    turkey pepperoni
    turkey sausage
    chicken breasts
    tilapia fillets
    lemon juice
    baby spinach
    broccoli
    grape tomatoes
    cucumber
    fuji apples
    strawberries
    Joseph's Flax Oat Bran Whole Wheat Pita's
    Arnold Healthy Multigrain Bread
    Polaner All Fruit with Fiber Strawberry Jam

Those are the things I can think of that are pretty much necessities in our house. If we're low, it's automatically on the next list. Then we allow the little guy to pick out 1 or 2 things not on the list and I "allow" my big guy to do the same.:wink:
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    These items are usually on my list as we run out and need to restock: (when my garden is not in season-going to start canning this year)

Fresh fruits-apples, strawberries, bananas, all kinds (frozen if to $$$ or can't find good fresh ones)
    Lean ground turkey
    Chicken breast (usually frozen but want to switch over to fresh)
    romaine lettuce, baby spinach, butter lettuce
    Mushrooms-white and bella's
    green beans, zucchini, cucumbers, black beans, chickpeas
    stock-veggie, beef and chicken for soups
    sweet onions, leeks
    tomatos-roma and or cherry/grape
    red potatos
    vanilla organic yogurt
    corn tortillas (for me) regular taco shells (for DH)
    Spaghetti sauce-regular and cream
    Spaghetti squash
    feta cheese, provolone, mozzerella(american for DH)
    articokes-whole or just the hearts
    various spices and seasonings as needed
    brown rice, wild
    white popcorn (kernals only for popper not microwave)
    2% milk
    cereal-granola for me, oatmeal
    sprouted bread (trader Joe)
    bagel thins
    cream cheese
    natural crunchy PB
    Jams/jellies from farmers market or TJ)
    butter
    cottage cheese
    cream cheese

I get our eggs from my father who gets them from an Amish farm--we also got about 80lb of beef in different cuts this month as well.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I love grocery shopping!

This is my list of foods that I generally stick to when I'm in "healthy eating mode".

unsweetened almond milk
    protein powder (all natural)
    chicken breasts
    ground turkey
    canned tuna in water
    tilapia
    jumbo shrimp
    whole eggs & egg whites
    light laughing cow cheese wedges
    lentils
    split peas
    chickpeas
    kidney beans
    1% cottage cheese
    2% Liberté plain yogurt
    Wasa crispbreads or Ryvita
    whole oats and steel cut oatmeal
    quinoa
    golden flaxseed
    frozen fruits
    frozen veggies
    canned tomatoes for soups and adding to chicken breasts for a quick meal
    unsweetened applesauce
    fresh fruits and veggies
    fresh leafy greens (for green smoothies and salads)
    coconut water (for green smoothies)
    100 calorie cup hummus (great for veggie dipping)
    almonds
    walnuts
    garlic stuffed olives
    mini butter cups (I love my veggies with real butter. These have 45 calories each and are just enough. I no longer eat margarine)
    V8 ~~ I heat it up and eat it as a soup with 1T parmesan added.

My new favorite spice is smoked paprika. I use cinnamon quite a bit ... with my oatmeal, applesauce and also in protein smoothies when I make them with banana.
    Chinese 5 spice and garam masala are also new spices to me and really punch up the flavour of chicken.
    My friend has got me eating mustard with my tuna which I thought was gross sounding but it's actually palatable.

I do use Splenda, drink crystal light and diet soda but I'm trying to cut back on these and just drink plain water and green tea.
  • minannan
    minannan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    veggies: spinach, green peppers, red peppers, onions, cucumbers, radishes, baby carrots, mushrooms, avocados, edamame (they sell it at Trader Joe's - amazing!), hummus (Sabra is an awesome brand for this! can spread it on tortillas when making wrap sandwiches, or use w/whole grain crackers), green beans (canned), corn (canned)

fruit: apples (honeycrisp... mmm), bananas, kiwi, oranges (sometimes I'll randomly get other kinds, but mainly those at the moment)

dairy: low fat cottage cheese (i use this as salad dressing), fat free shredded cheese, weight watchers string cheese, low fat yogurt (Yoplait has a Cinnamon Bun flavor - yum!), fat free milk, eggs, butter spray

grains: whole grain everything... bagel thins (by Thomas), bread (usually Sara Lee), english muffins (Orowheat), tortillas (for tortilla wraps:), crackers, Kashi GoLean cereal, pancake mix, Uncle Ben's 90 second rice packets (these go great w/the tilapia!)

meat: 93/7 beef, boneless skinless chicken breasts, tilapia filets, extra lean teriyaki pork tenderloin (by Hormel - yum!), chicken sausage (by Al Fresco - they have a variety of flavors), turkey from the deli for sandwiches

other/snacks: non-hydrogenated oil peanut butter (Skippy Natural), plain white popcorn + popcorn seasoning (they sell a variety of seasoning flavors that add flavor w/out a bunch of calories), almonds (1 oz of almonds is a good afternoon snack:), sugar free syrup (for the pancakes:), i also consider flavored coffee a "snack" (LOVE coffee - Folgers Gourmet = good flavors:) and add Splenda to it

this blog is awesome for fun, healthy recipes - www.iowagirleats.com
  • Eilonwy74
    Options
    1. Green Giant Frozen Vegetables (I like the "Heart Healthy" or "Vision" sorts. What they help matters little, I go for the veggies I like.) Other veggies I buy are: stir fry mixes, lima beans, mushrooms, carrots, cucumbers. Mmmmmmmm.
    2. Lean meat: sirloin, pork loin, organic chicken (usually has less fat on the meat).
    3. Edamame. (Great protein snack.)
    4. Hershey's Kisses (Chocolate in small manageable sizes.)
    5. Yoplait Yogurt (The only on the go breakfast I can keep up with.)

Right now my motto is "everything in moderation." I'm not trying to eat a perfectly healthy meal all the time, I'm just watching carbs and sugars and calories.
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    OooooI'm loving this thread and getting some great ideas!! My list is usually...
    Frozen veggie stir fry mix with the baby corn in it
    broccoli
    mushrooms
    manderin oranges (must haves)
    black and blueberries
    chicken pork tenderloin
    turkey legs
    whole chickens (I have a rotisseri oven and I cook a couple cut up and use for lunch or salads)
    carrots
    100 calories ice cream cups
    salsa
    liquid smoke (great on meats)
    fiber plus cereal grapefriut
    caramel coffe creamer
    Just to name a few