How to correct uneven sides?

Options
Most people have dominant hand and legs and they may work more during workouts and develop more muscle then the other side.
In my case the difference getting out of hand. My left tight now 1 inch wider than my right. My left leg always have been a bit wider, but the difference has been increased lately instead of decreasing.
I bike quite a bit pulling bike trailer and I did StrongLifts 5x5 for 3 months and now I just just added a few upper body + abs work to the Stronglifts program and changed the set/ reps a bit. Basically I do big compound movements with heavy weights and not much else. I do not do any single leg exercises for the past 4-5 months. I do not understand why the difference is growing, but it want to reverse the trend.
Any suggestion?

Replies

• I3righti3lue24
    I3righti3lue24 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Ignore me... I'm smoking something and cant read to day lol

(EDITED)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    It could be you're not measuring at the same exact points (measuring up from the knee helps). Or maybe your body holds fat differently in those areas (which has nothing to do with strength). Try comparing their strength by doing single-leg leg presses or single-leg squats.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I've had issues with muscle imbalances before. I continue doing the same exercises, but make sure that the weaker leg is REALLY doing it's share of the work. And on some single leg exercises, I'd do some extra on the weaker leg to help it catch up.

But if it isn't a strength issue but a measurement issue, you may be measuring in slightly different places, or you're having more water retention in one side than the other (maybe, but idk, I'm no professional).
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Do unilateral movements. This way the stronger leg cannot compensate for the weaker one and you will develop more evenly. Do not do extra work on the weaker side. If you are doing unilateral movements they will even out eventually.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    You probably have a form issue. You are using one leg to take the weight, not distributing centered and evenly. A physiotherapist (maybe a trainer) could help you with that. I did it also because of injuries. A physiotherapist helped me.

Also when you do single leg exercises start with the weaker leg.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I agree with the one lady who mentioned this could be form related. I have tons of issues with my form and the trainer had mentioned that my one arm and leg are a tiny big larger right now, but we're working to correct these problems.
  • stockdogDavidDog
    Options
    I had a lot more muscle on my non-dominant side when I was in my teens and twenties, so much so that the military doctor diagnosed me with CP. According to Arthur Jones, the larger Muscle on the non-dominant side is due to the inefficency of the nondominat side so that when training with weights it get the hardest workout.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Do unilateral movements. This way the stronger leg cannot compensate for the weaker one and you will develop more evenly. Do not do extra work on the weaker side. If you are doing unilateral movements they will even out eventually.
    I am not really sure that is considered unilateral exercises. Could you explain me a bit more details?
  • redheadmommy
    Options
    I've had issues with muscle imbalances before. I continue doing the same exercises, but make sure that the weaker leg is REALLY doing it's share of the work. And on some single leg exercises, I'd do some extra on the weaker leg to help it catch up.

But if it isn't a strength issue but a measurement issue, you may be measuring in slightly different places, or you're having more water retention in one side than the other (maybe, but idk, I'm no professional).
    I am thinking to do single leg exercises , but I am not sure how to make the weaker leg stronger. Should I add more weight and keep the same rep on the weaker leg, or do more reps?
  • redheadmommy
    Options
    I had a lot more muscle on my non-dominant side when I was in my teens and twenties, so much so that the military doctor diagnosed me with CP. According to Arthur Jones, the larger Muscle on the non-dominant side is due to the inefficency of the nondominat side so that when training with weights it get the hardest workout.
    Now as you mentioned it I realized that is my non- dominant leg is the one that more muscular.
    Also my no dominant arm is more muscular, but that is explained by my kids. I often end up cooking / cleaning with holding my babies/ toddler in my left arm so my right hand is free to do whatever i am doing.
    In my arm the difference is not that big only a 1/4-1/2 inch and it stays the same .
    What did you do to correct it?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I am not really sure that is considered unilateral exercises. Could you explain me a bit more details?
    http://www.t-nation.com/training/10-best-unilateral-exercises
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/5_superior_single_leg_exercises
  • redheadmommy
    Options
    http://www.t-nation.com/training/10-best-unilateral-exercises
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/5_superior_single_leg_exercises
    so unilateral just a fancier word for single leg exercises than ?! Bret Contreas really know ow to train females, so that is an amazing link right there. Thanks!