Sweet Potatoes, really?

Options
700 calories in a cup of roasted sweet potatoes? I thought sweet potatoes were a good sub for white potatoes.
I just went over my calories by 500 because I just didnt know. Really kinda pisses me off, I thought I was eating healthy.

Replies

• phoenixx866
    phoenixx866 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1SKPM_enUS425US425&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=calories+in+sweet+potato

I just punched it in Google and it says 1 cup of diced sweet potatoes is 114 calories. Where did you get 700 from?
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    That sounds high. What did you add to them?

Oh but I do recommend buying a food scale. It's much more accurate than a measuring cup.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    two things:

1) healthy food is more a matter of the nutrients and vitamins contained within than the calories.
    2) 700 calories for a cup isnt correct http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2667/2

700 calorie worth of sweet potato works out to be about 600 grams which is like a pound of sweet potatoes. if you ate a pound of anything because vegetables i'd expect it to be a lot of calories
  • Gaillb170
    Gaillb170 Posts: 8
    Options
    My fitness pal food tracker. Thanks for checking, I feel better. Though I should have known better. :)
  • Gaillb170
    Gaillb170 Posts: 8
    Options
    Coconut oil, sea salt and pepper.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yeah you need to be careful of the database. that's the first time i've heard of it being so over because usually it's severely under. even things that can easily be scanned into the database. i remember finding some tortillas where the info looked off and sure enough when i went to check what was supposed to be the same package the MFP data was off by serving size and the number of calories in that serving
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are love, sweet potatoes are life.
  • KathiePal
    KathiePal Posts: 1
    Options
    I still like Weight Watchers Points and the little counter. All these new gizmo's, FitBit, myfitnesspal, etc are taking up too much of my time trying to make corrections. They seem to give me WAY too many calories. I just ignore them and really only pay attention to the steps I walk. And even those seem to be inflated!! Oh well, I didn't have to pay for my FitBit so it's not a big deal.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    naaaaahhhh! 1 medium is around 200 cal...

700?? impossible.

Still...Yes..sweet potatoes STILL have calories,sugar and carbs but it's good carbs...good sugar.
    That's why they are good.... but eating too much of them will STILL make you gain...
  • madxprofessor
    madxprofessor Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    They are around like less than 200 calories i just had one for dinner, my step-mother always has them instead because she is diabetic and cant have regular potatoes. Its impossible for it to even be over 300 calories.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you are having trouble quickly identifying the best entries or if particular entries are likely to be trustworthy, read the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=logging+accurately

Logging with the MFP database is easy once you figure out the quirks, but there are quirks that can make your logging inaccurate if you aren't aware of the.

With that many calories the sweet potatoes might be someone else's recipe, and you should never use someone else's recipe because you don't know what's in it. Ideally you log separately each item you use (including the cooking oil), and log the items when you weigh them, and do that if possible before they are cooked, as cooking changes weight. Rice and pasta are generally weighed/measured raw unless a label says otherwise, weighing is generally better than trying to figure out what is a cup (it makes a difference how small it's cut), etc.
  • RangerRN507
    RangerRN507 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    sweet potatoes are one of the healthiest foods out there, it has more potassium then bananas, full of antioxidants, and more beta-carotene then carrots, and that's just to name a couple things so as far as nutrient density is concerned few foods can compare!
  • HipsterWhovian
    HipsterWhovian Posts: 195 Member
    Options

QFT
  • msbmj
    msbmj Posts: 1
    Options

Hahahha this!
  • marise1113
    marise1113 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I love sweet potatoes !!! For the best information on any food I go right to the professionals

http://sweetpotatousa.org/?page_id=12

http://www.ncsweetpotatoes.com/about-us/
  • cavelioness
    Options
    yum to sweet potatoes....having them tonight in soup with butternut squash and fresh ginger and garlic....mmmmm bring it on
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Just because a food has high calories doesn't mean it's unhealthy.