Question re calories when running

Options
So I have a question. How come jogging and running uses fewer calories than, say, using an elliptical machine or aerobics for the same period of time? I get way more exhausted and out of breath when running than when on the cross trainer.

Replies

• freshstart180213
    freshstart180213 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    No idea but interested to see answers
  • netgeekette
    netgeekette Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yeah no idea but I gave up running on the treadmill and now I just walk on the highest incline and almost burn twice as many calories in the same amount of time. Plus I seem to be able to maintain that longer than running as well.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Theoretically, if you exercise at an equivalent aerobic intensity (i.e. same level of oxygen uptake), then calorie burn must be equal no matter the activity. In reality, some activities feel "harder" than others due to factors such as localized muscle fatigue. If you are "burning fewer calories running", the cause is one of the following:

1. You are using inaccurate sources for your estimates of calorie burn. Calorie readouts on ellipticals are the least accurate of any cardio machine; HRMs can be very inaccurate as well, depending on the model and whether it is set up properly.

2. Some people may find the act of running itself to by physically difficult and therefor do not push themselves as hard. Given your remarks about how hard you are working, this probably doesn't apply to your situation.

So, it's back to #1.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Walking at an incline can be an effective way to burn calories--esp for those who cannot or don't want to run. However, if you use handrails for support while walking at incline, your calorie burn can be overestimated by as much as 60%-70%.

OTOH, because of the pounding of running on your legs, some people can tolerate walking at incline for longer durations and more frequent workouts than they could with a running program, so, again, it can be an effective workout.
  • N3bolt
    N3bolt Posts: 4
    Options
    My take on why the difference is pretty simple, the mechanics behind running really stresses the lower body and pushing it to the brink is difficult. Like the wolf, "huff and puff" but blowing the doors off is just not going to happen. In the beginning I trained almost exclusively on an ellipse machine and made grade progress in cardiovascular and strength, but due to a need to cross train (boredom) and travel, I added running and cycling. Like the originator of the thread, my least favorite and least productive is running (based on all the calculators know readily available). Both riding (greater than a certain speed) and the ellipse spread the workout over the entire body - upper, lower, and core and there is a significant oxygen exchange and a significantly lower impact on my frame.