When people notice your weight loss

Options
I have lost half of the weight I gained last winter and 2 people at work told me that it looks like I am loosing weight. This one lady on my floor told me that way before I could even tell myself. She said she could see it even I insisted that i coudn`t tell myself and she told me that I will see .Since then since then my clothes had been more loose so I am beginning to feel it. However they is this lady that stared at my body the other day, especially at my thighs as if she notices something different . She didn't say anything though. When people look at you up and down is that an indication that they notice even though they don't say anything? Not that it matters just out of curiosity

Replies

• Laura3BB
    Laura3BB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Sorry I don't understand your question.
    People can look at you for lots of reasons....

Anyway good for you for losing weight!
  • kevinsmithrn
    kevinsmithrn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    What do you guys say when somebody notices your weight loss ? My responses always seem stupid.
  • BethN3101
    BethN3101 Posts: 8
    Options
    All ya can really do is say thanks..! Other people notice my weight loss by just looking at me but i don't SEE it.. I feel it in my clothes!!
  • hipsterkhris
    hipsterkhris Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    What do you guys say when somebody notices your weight loss ? My responses always seem stupid.

"Hey Khris, you look like you've lost weight"

"Thanks for noticing, I've been dieting."

Short, sweet, and to the point. I'd say a simple "thanks" is the appropriate response. I never go into detail unless they ask, because some people take that in a weird way.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I wish I had done it 10 years earlier. MFP is awesome.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Congrats. I keep my responses short yet polite like "thank you or thank you kindly"
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Some people will notice but won't say anything because they think commenting on your weight may offend you. So yeah maybe that is was that lady was looking at. When people do comment though I just say thank you.
  • LITtlerMeCO
    LITtlerMeCO Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    People can look at you for lots of reasons....
    ^this.

Some people will look at you, noticing that something is different but they can't quite figure it out. Some people will look at you, notice your proportions are different, but don't know what to say. Some people will look at you and wonder where you got that outfit (either because they like it or don't). Some people will "look" at you without actually looking at you, their mind may be wandering and you just happen to be in their way or their mind is wandering and they are subconsciously registering your presence without realizing it.

You can choose to wonder/think/worry/dissect what's going on in someone else's head or not, it's all up to you.

Now, so you don't wonder about what I'm thinking: congratulations on your weight loss!
  • tinwaleet
    tinwaleet Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just say thank you, I have been changing my life style, glad it is showing. Usually people ask how and I explain exercising and and and more importantly nutrition, and sho my mfp app, fitbit, etc. If someone can get motivated and change also it way of eating I would have done something good. A friend introduced me to mfp and I am grateful it changed my life, so if it can help someone else why not. I realize that sometime people tell you that and may not say that they are trying to find what will work for them. So my response invites people, if they wish, to ask why and maybe some of what I say may help them finding what can work for them.
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    When someone asks me "did you lose some weight?" I say "why do you ask, did you find some? "
  • jessicaxx_23
    jessicaxx_23 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't really know what to say, because it's Awkward and rude IMO to comment on someone's weight loss especially if that person wasn't severely overweight. I fluctuate between 125 and 135 but I'm almost 6' so no one ever noticed a 10 lb difference on my frame besides maybe my boyfriend who sees me naked. He has never commented. He likes me better in the middle and when I'm closer to 129-131 I hear comments like " you look so good" from him a lot more. That's about it for comments about my weight
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

I tell them thank you for the compliment.
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    "Thanks for noticing! Feels good (with a smile)"

The "feels good" doubles for a expression of how *I* feel about their compliment, as well as lets them know that their compliment was appreciated.

(And, in response to some of the other commenters, almost no one on the planet would say something like that without intending it as a compliment. People are trying to be nice, don't be a jerk about it.)
  • doctorregenerated
    doctorregenerated Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Here's my problem with people commenting on how you look so good....it means you didn't look good before.
    That's fine until you fall off the wagon and then you are back where you were, and this time very much aware of what people really think about your body.
    Sorry. Little pity party over here.
    I used to say last time I lost weight - Thanks! I've been losing weight on weight watchers!
    Now I think I will say - Thanks. and then change the subject.
  • kiarafitjourney
    kiarafitjourney Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    lol, its a great feeling tho, being asked if i lose any weight.
    i usually just grin and says "really?!" and after that grin like an idiot. lol
    but its a great motivation, .. but if we're not careful it could be a boomerang also, sometimes i tend to think i have look good so i dont have to diet anymore, blablaba which leads me into downfall.
  • stickersticker
    stickersticker Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Idk...
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    lol, its a great feeling tho, being asked if i lose any weight.
    i usually just grin and says "really?!" and after that grin like an idiot. lol
    but its a great motivation, .. but if we're not careful it could be a boomerang also, sometimes i tend to think i have look good so i dont have to diet anymore, blablaba which leads me into downfall.

Yup I get that feeling sometimes too but I WANT my weight goal.
  • LadyArchangel
    LadyArchangel Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I just say "thank you." That's about all I can say haha.
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    IIIIISerenityNowIIIII Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I'm not easily offended. I love when people notice my weight loss. I mean, I look much different so it is really obvious. I just thank them and if they want to know how I tell them MFP.
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I take it as a compliment *unless* they go to the supervisor and ask if I am unwell, which I don't appreciate. But the supervisor and I had a laugh about the environment we worked in, with chocolate being given out for effectively showing up.

My neighbour at work asked if I'd gained weight, which I appreciated since it was time to start losing (a few years earlier).