1 week of diet/exercise= 3lb weight gain?!

Options
OK! So I have been fairly strict with MFP the past week. I've been reaching my 10,000 step goal w/ Fitbit. Admittedly, a few days during the week I ate less than my recommended calorie goal. I didn't lose even a tenth of an ounce this week, and when I weighed this morning I was UP three pounds!!! What the heck is going on?!

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Most likely fluid retention from you starting an exercise program.
  • jadekimbo
    jadekimbo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well, where are you in your cycle? I've found that I can fluctuate up to SIX POUNDS just from water weight. This is usually what derails me, since before that time I usually am very strict and then I see no/ negative results on the scale!!!!
  • sarahwilliams942145
    sarahwilliams942145 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    As in my monthly cycle?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    :heart: Weight – So many things can affect weight, because of this it shouldn’t be the only way you track your progress. Things to keep in mind:
    :drinker: Always use the same scale – Different scales can show different weights. You will get the most accurate number for tracking when using the same scale.
    :drinker: Don’t move the scale – Carpet, uneven flooring, different types of flooring…can all affect the weight on the scale. So when you weigh, you want it to be approximately the same spot for the most accurate number for tracking.
    :drinker: 3500 calories – To gain 1lb of fat you need to be over maintenance by 3500 calories.
    :drinker: Muscle Repair – Muscles will hold onto water to repair, because of this it is not uncommon to see a gain for a little while after a workout. This weight comes right back off when they are done repairing.
    :drinker: Sodium – Can cause you to retain water. This can also be amplified if you don’t drink enough to flush it out of your system. This is also another reason for temporary weight gain.
    :drinker: Water – Not drinking enough water can actually cause you to retain water. Recommended amount is 8 cups or 64oz. I drink 64 oz to 128 oz of water a day. It doesn’t have to be plain water either. I like to flavor mine with crystal light or tea.
    :drinker: Time of day – Your weight can fluctuate throughout the day. So for the most accurate tracking, you want to weigh at around the same time.
    :drinker: Frequency – This is up to you, but if small fluctuations bother you than only weigh once a week or less.
    :drinker: Lightest Weight – Will be naked, first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom
    :drinker: Multiple times a Day – Don’t Do It. As I said before, your weight will fluctuate throughout the day. What you eat, what you’re wearing, ect will all affect weight.
    :drinker: Clothes – If you weigh with clothing on, keep in mind that the scale will show your weight plus the weight of your clothes. (Jeans are heavy)
    :drinker: TOM - A lot of women will retain water around their TOM, but its just temporary and will go away.

This is a chart I made last year (using my own weigh ins) that shows day to day fluctuations. Notice how the overall trend is down:
    29l0bqr.jpg
  • sarahwilliams942145
    Options
    I love the chart! I wonder if the muscle repair would apply to me. I've started jogging, which I haven't done before. I just didn't expect to initially gain weight. When I've started diet/exercise before, I haven't initially gained this much weight before.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I love the chart! I wonder if the muscle repair would apply to me. I've started jogging, which I haven't done before. I just didn't expect to initially gain weight. When I've started diet/exercise before, I haven't initially gained this much weight before.

Any kind of new exercise regimen or increased intensity of an existing program is going to cause fluid retention for muscle repair...so yes...it would apply to you.

To boot, daily weight fluctuations for the average person can be a good 1-3 Lbs regardless of exercise or whatever. All kinds of things can influence water weight, not to mention more or less waste in your system, etc. You also need to weigh in at roughly the same time on the same scale and under roughly the same conditions...and from there, you really have to track the trend, not weigh in to weigh in.

As you can see from the graph that was posted, weight loss isn't linear....your maintenance won't be static either...you're going to have to come to some kind of understanding and terms with natural weight fluctuations or you're going to go bat **** crazy and most likely will lose all motivation all because of something that just occurs naturally and you have no control over.
  • sarahwilliams942145
    Options

Any kind of new exercise regimen or increased intensity of an existing program is going to cause fluid retention for muscle repair...so yes...it would apply to you.

To boot, daily weight fluctuations for the average person can be a good 1-3 Lbs regardless of exercise or whatever. All kinds of things can influence water weight, not to mention more or less waste in your system, etc. You also need to weigh in at roughly the same time on the same scale and under roughly the same conditions...and from there, you really have to track the trend, not weigh in to weigh in.

As you can see from the graph that was posted, weight loss isn't linear....your maintenance won't be static either...you're going to have to come to some kind of understanding and terms with natural weight fluctuations or you're going to go bat **** crazy and most likely will lose all motivation all because of something that just occurs naturally and you have no control over.

Thank you! You are definitely right. I can admit to serial weighing this week & obsessing over what the scales say. I'll just stick with it and hopefully I'll start to feel the results!
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    For those of you who are lifting weights to lose weight, keep in mind that you will build muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat and can be the reason for your increase in weight. As an alternative you can lift less weight, but do more reps!
  • ImmortalThanos
    ImmortalThanos Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Nailed it.

My weight has fluctuated as much as four or five pounds in a day since I started my weight loss journey. At my heaviest (340 lbs.) until recently, I'd sometimes have days where I'd go to bed heavier than when I started in the morning. Yet, the next day, I would wake up weighing less than the previous morning's weigh-in. As I inch ever closer to 300 lbs., these wild swings have become less frequent, but will still happen occasionally.

Weight loss is not a linear progression. It can't be restated enough.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Don't panic!! At the moment you have just begin and it is very very easy to be thrown off by random fluctuations. It usually takes about a month before you can really be sure what you are experiencing isn't just a blip.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    For those of you who are lifting weights to lose weight, keep in mind that you will build muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat and can be the reason for your increase in weight. As an alternative you can lift less weight, but do more reps!
    Unfortunately building "loads" of muscle in calorie deficit isn't probable. In the beginning there will be a little hypertrophy, but continued calorie deficit (weight loss), doesn't help to increase lean muscle in the body.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Your gain is water and glycogen retention. It's normal when one takes up a lifting or exercise program. Some gain as much as 10lbs. when they restart any exercise program.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sarahwilliams942145
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of your responses! I am feeling better! Just going to keep on doing what I'm doing and stay dedicated!