where are you? I can't be the only 1 -losing for career

Options
I have plenty of great friends, don't get me wrong, but i still feel alone..is anyone else on this site losing weight for their career?? the ending number matters. i want to exercise Thoroughbred racers. i start school in the fall. i know i can get down to a decent weight for riding but i cant be the only one out there trying to get there. im 5'4.5'' and i know i can get down to at least 130 if not lower. i believe i have a generally small frame so the smaller the number the better, but i want to stay healthy at that low number and dont wish to go below 17% body fat. i have a general idea of foods for a healthy plan to stay strong for riding while being able to maintain a low weight. it would be wonderful to find some friends who can at least understand how im feeling..i need to know im not alone!

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    That's a job?? People get paid, just to ride fast horses? Where do I apply??

I'm not necessarily losing weight for my career, but as a dietetics student, I feel it's important to keep myself fit and lean if I want to be respected and successful as a dietitian. Sort of the whole "you can't trust a skinny chef" logic.
  • inthekitch
    inthekitch Posts: 26
    Options
    I have plenty of great friends, don't get me wrong, but i still feel alone..is anyone else on this site losing weight for their career?? the ending number matters. i want to exercise Thoroughbred racers. i start school in the fall. i know i can get down to a decent weight for riding but i cant be the only one out there trying to get there. im 5'4.5'' and i know i can get down to at least 130 if not lower. i believe i have a generally small frame so the smaller the number the better, but i want to stay healthy at that low number and dont wish to go below 17% body fat. i have a general idea of foods for a healthy plan to stay strong for riding while being able to maintain a low weight. it would be wonderful to find some friends who can at least understand how im feeling..i need to know im not alone!

I wouldn't say that i'm losing weight FOR my career, BUT, I can say that I am aiming to lose weight to feel more confident with myself which will in turn affect my career in a positive way (personal confidence + self esteem = better outlook on oneself)
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I'm not losing for my career exactly. But I guess, in a way, I sort of am.

I am a preschool teacher. I have to be up and down from sitting on the floor and sitting in child-sized chairs a million times a day. I have to run and jump and climb and crawl on the playgrounds and gym. I have to chase escapees down the halls. I have to sprint back to my classroom if a firedrill happens while I'm on my lunchbreak. I have to reach and stretch and bend in all sorts of ways. I have to move furniture and lift 50 pound creatures (who are sometimes combative).

I was losing my ability to do those things. My job was getting physically hard to do. Now, with losing almost 40 pounds, my stamina, flexibility, and strength are much improved. Getting back to my old self, and maybe slightly improved.
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Bit of a mixed bag for me, I'm in sales. I'm doing it partly as the clothes I want to wear aren't always flattering/available in my current/past size. Equally I like the confidence that it gives me, knowing you can pick people up really gives your ego an injection!

Mostly I'm doing it for my health but the other reasons help to motivate me, too :D

We're all motivated by different things at the end of the day, as long as the root is for yourself I think it's all positive.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options

I wouldn't say that i'm losing weight FOR my career, BUT, I can say that I am aiming to lose weight to feel more confident with myself which will in turn affect my career in a positive way (personal confidence + self esteem = better outlook on oneself)

This is my reasoning also. I'm in grad school working on my Masters/PhD. I'm going to have to give a lot of research presentations at conferences, teach, etc. I don't want my weight to be another thing to be self-conscious about when I'm in front of a room full of people.
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Do you work with a racing stable, breeding farm or trainer now? Have you had experience working with and riding the "kids"? You don't have to ride baby TBs for a career with horses. What is your equine sport now? I was a DQ and there were always openings for working students in any big training barn, and the same is true for the H/J crowd. I'm sure its true for reining also. Just saying think about it. I had a friend who rode the TB babies, not alot of fun, but never boring.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Here.

Actor. Was away for years. Decided last year to go back and pick my career pursuits up. I'd be losing weight anyway, because I hate being fat with the heat of ten billion twin suns, but the career is a heavy motivator. I'm not a character actor type and the more svelte/attractive I look, the more choices I have.
  • ksully913
    ksully913 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Do you work with a racing stable, breeding farm or trainer now? Have you had experience working with and riding the "kids"? You don't have to ride baby TBs for a career with horses. What is your equine sport now? I was a DQ and there were always openings for working students in any big training barn, and the same is true for the H/J crowd. I'm sure its true for reining also. Just saying think about it. I had a friend who rode the TB babies, not alot of fun, but never boring.

Exactly this. Lots of ways to have a career in horses. I've been starting babies for h/j, dressage and eventing careers, and there is no weight limit on that (well I guess there would be since there is a lot of athleticism involved, but you know what I mean).

I thought about going the TB route as I've started quite a few in their post-track lives, but I decided I enjoy that more than I would the on-track part of their careers. I would say no matter what weight you are aiming for - you definitely want to make sure you are being healthy to keep up your strength/flexibility/agility. You'll need it!

How far are you from your goal? Are you already riding for a trainer?
  • zombie130
    zombie130 Posts: 37
    Options

i am going to BCTC in the NARA program. I am going to get an associate's in equine studies as well as my exercise rider's certificate. riding any horse is fun and riding the babies would be most fun for me seeing as how it is way more challenging. 9/10 times the students who go through this program whether a jockey, or an exerciser get a job because people hear of the program and want riders with that experience.
  • zombie130
    Options
    p.s. i have only lost 3 pounds so far. hopefully i can get rid of 17 more. i have about 30% body fat right now.

and yes, i am aware i need a good diet to stay strong and everything else required to do this.
  • zombie130
    Options
    also i have 7 months to lose the weight so i wanna go nice and steady so i can learn to maintain the weight once i get there
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Good luck in your studies. For your height 130 is reasonable. Being a sport horse person who has owned off the track TBs but mainly WBs I would say for a long term career network with all types of horse people. Your education should help.
    PS looks like a cute horse you have.
  • zombie130
    Options
    Good luck in your studies. For your height 130 is reasonable. Being a sport horse person who has owned off the track TBs but mainly WBs I would say for a long term career network with all types of horse people. Your education should help.
    PS looks like a cute horse you have.

thanks and yeah I think 130 will be the ending number im gonna try for 127ish and then whatever happens mucle-wise when I start the program. gotta be stroooong. and thanks he is a friend's horse. I have never been able to have my own.
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    There's no requirement for me to lose fat for my career, but I work in public affairs so the more people I've got connections to, the better my career does... and frankly, it's a lot easier to go up to someone I don't know and strike up a conversation if I'm looking & feeling my best, plus people (men) are usually more willing to talk.