Are you weak without meat??

Options
It really hurts my feelings when I see how animals are being slaughtered for us to eat. SO after seeing a video/documentary, etc I wouldn't eat meat for a few days.. But after that, I'm back to eating it again. I feel like my body needs meat b/c I feel really weak if I had not eaten meat after a couple of days. I tried the beans and tofu thing for protein but I couldn't do it in the long run. Any thoughts on this guys? To vegetarians/vegans out there, how do you guys do it??

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Is the slaughter of animals for food pleasant? No. But, that alone is not a reason to eschew meat products. It is just a fact of life. We don't judge a lion for killing a zebra. We don't assign moral values for animals that kill another animal to survive. Why do we assume we're better than animals ourselves? Is it possible to "survive" without eating any animal products? Yeah, I guess so. But, if you don't do well on such a diet, you shouldn't feel guilty for your biology.

If you feel bad about the meat you eat, you should do what you can to reduce the waste as much as possible and to find meat that was raised in ways you believe are ethical.

I, personally, did the vegetarian thing for about two years. It wasn't something that worked for me long term.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I don't know about vegan, because I'm new to it, but I can say during part of my twenties, when I was eating reasonably healthy lacto-ovo vegetarian, working a heavy lifting job, and going to the gym as well as hiking trips with friends, I was physically in better shape and possibly even stronger than my hulking 6 ft and then some male friends.

Unfortunately my good habits and weight maintenance devolved into becoming a candy bar couch potato vegetarian, at which point I became fat and weak.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I think you really have be careful about what you eat. I've traveled in India on business and have gone a week or so without meat and didn't miss it at all. Their vegetarian food is delicious and hearty. Since I always went for a swim in the pool every morning before heading to the office, I was reasonably active, too. I doubt that would have included any tofu or other soy products, but plenty made with chickpeas, potatoes, green peas and paneer, which they translate as "cottage cheese". It's typically cut into squares and doesn't look like what's sold as cottage cheese in the USA. One of my favorite India foods is palaak paneer, which is paneer in a spinach sauce.

Were you getting enough dairy products?
  • SheGlows
    SheGlows Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Is the slaughter of animals for food pleasant? No. But, that alone is not a reason to eschew meat products. It is just a fact of life. We don't judge a lion for killing a zebra. We don't assign moral values for animals that kill another animal to survive. Why do we assume we're better than animals ourselves? Is it possible to "survive" without eating any animal products? Yeah, I guess so. But, if you don't do well on such a diet, you shouldn't feel guilty for your biology.

If you feel bad about the meat you eat, you should do what you can to reduce the waste as much as possible and to find meat that was raised in ways you believe are ethical.

I, personally, did the vegetarian thing for about two years. It wasn't something that worked for me long term.

Indeed it isn't pleasant, which is why I became a vegan in the first place. I occasionally eat eggs now, but that's because they're from my chickens that I'm raising and I know and control exactly what happens to them (no cruelty from humans, I let them free range during the day, put them in a big coop at night to protect from coyotes, feed and water them right, etc.).

Granted, we can't blame a lion for killing. But I don't think we can't relate that directly to human behavior, either. That's like saying, "Well, lions kill their babies, so it's okay that we do, sometimes, too." I know there are lots of arguments for meat eating that I don't yet have answers to. I'm not trying to force veganism upon anyone, either. I just think this argument is bogus;-)

As for making me weak, I have not suffered when it comes to strength in any way. Heck, I broke a plateau today, squatting 150 now for my working sets! I'd say if you're curious, try it out for yourself. Make sure you're getting enough protein and I think you'll do a-okay. Everybody's different, so there's only one way to find out!
  • Voww
    Voww Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    There are healthy and unhealthy choices whether you're omnivorous, vegetarian or vegan - so guess it depends on whether you make the effort to choose healthier foods and eat a varied diet to be sure you're getting the right nutrition.

What you eat is your decision alone.

Vegetarian worked for me for nine years then I cut dairy three years ago and it still works for me ... plenty of energy for daily walks and exercise and I really love my food. I found greatveganathletes.com interesting reading and quite inspirational, especially the story of world-record-holding marathon runner Fiona Oakes, so I don't think it's necessary to eat meat for energy but that's my personal opinion.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Indeed it isn't pleasant, which is why I became a vegan in the first place. I occasionally eat eggs now, but that's because they're from my chickens that I'm raising and I know and control exactly what happens to them (no cruelty from humans, I let them free range during the day, put them in a big coop at night to protect from coyotes, feed and water them right, etc.
    Errr you're not a Vegan you're a vegetarian. Vegans do not eat eggs even if they're from their own chickens. That's it we do not exploit or consume animals or animal products. No wonder people are so bloody confused about veganism with people claiming to be part time vegans etc.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Granted, we can't blame a lion for killing. But I don't think we can't relate that directly to human behavior, either. That's like saying, "Well, lions kill their babies, so it's okay that we do, sometimes, too." I know there are lots of arguments for meat eating that I don't yet have answers to. I'm not trying to force veganism upon anyone, either. I just think this argument is bogus;-)

We are animals, like it or not. Further, we have an evolutionary history strong shaped by eating meat. While we are omnivores and could certainly survive without access to meat, it doesn't seem to have been the case for any known population of humans during the vast majority of our evolution (it is a completely recent phenomenon). Perhaps it was just because we've never had the luxury to completely avoid meat during our evolution. In any case, we are meat eating animals. That isn't "nice" or "pleasant," but the world doesn't change itself based on our sensibilities.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options

We are animals, like it or not. Further, we have an evolutionary history strong shaped by eating meat. While we are omnivores and could certainly survive without access to meat, it doesn't seem to have been the case for any known population of humans. Perhaps it was just because we've never had the luxury to completely avoid meat during our evolution. In any case, we are meat eating animals. That isn't "nice" or "pleasant," but the world doesn't change itself based on our sensibilities.

This! Besides not wanting to eat meat because it is so sad for the animals is kind of bogus. For vegans animals die too! Think of all the environments which has been destroyed and animals driven to the brink of extinction for oils, nuts, fruits and other greens. Something many vegans and vegetarians don't think of and calling us meat eaters the killers! If you want to skip meat, fine, but be honest. For the sake of humanity other animals die, no matter what!
  • koaliebear195
    koaliebear195 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you feel weak without meat, it's likely just the lack of protein. When I was younger (16ish), I didn't eat meat for a month and ended up passing out because I simply cut out meat without any protein alternatives. I got very sick. I was what you would call a "french fry vegetarian." I didn't eat meat, but I didn't really eat vegetables or eggs or basically anything healthy. Just refined carbs! But I didn't know any better. I went back to eating meat after that.
    Basically, you don't need meat but you most certainly do need protein. My boyfriend is a very strong, active and healthy vegetarian. He eats a protein based diet with no meat! Tons of eggs, quinoa, and he drinks protein shakes.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    It really hurts my feelings when I see how animals are being slaughtered for us to eat. SO after seeing a video/documentary, etc I wouldn't eat meat for a few days.. But after that, I'm back to eating it again. I feel like my body needs meat b/c I feel really weak if I had not eaten meat after a couple of days. I tried the beans and tofu thing for protein but I couldn't do it in the long run. Any thoughts on this guys? To vegetarians/vegans out there, how do you guys do it??

You don't need meat and a lack of meat won't make you feel weak. I just ran 3.5 miles yesterday and haven't eaten meat in two years. I'm okay. A vegetarian diet is healthy and you can get the nutrients you need without meat including iron and protein. Beans and tofu are good sources, personally I like to pair beans with rice and guacamole. Mexican food is very easy to do vegetarian. I also like salads. Not small salads but huge salads with alot of veggies, sandwiches are great too. My sister make some tofu salad to put in them. There's also meatfree chili, hearty lentil soups, the options are endless. I get alot of easy receipes from www.peta2.org they are easy delicious recipes.
  • NerdyAdventurer
    NerdyAdventurer Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I've felt way better since I've cut out meat.

If you really do want to stop eating it way not start slowly? Also, you may want to try it for more than just a couple days before deciding its not for you. Give your brain and body time to adjust and find some delicious recipes and after a while you won't miss or feel like you need it.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Indeed it isn't pleasant, which is why I became a vegan in the first place. I occasionally eat eggs now, but that's because they're from my chickens that I'm raising and I know and control exactly what happens to them (no cruelty from humans, I let them free range during the day, put them in a big coop at night to protect from coyotes, feed and water them right, etc.
    Errr you're not a Vegan you're a vegetarian. Vegans do not eat eggs even if they're from their own chickens. That's it we do not exploit or consume animals or animal products. No wonder people are so bloody confused about veganism with people claiming to be part time vegans etc.

But you're exploiting a dog for companionship, and furthermore making him wear a ridiculous bowtie and posting it on the internet.

OP I think it's important to research and choose foods you feel ethically comfortable eating. A vegan diet may have products that have exploited humans especially if it contains sugar, cacao, coffee etc. You just have to make the best choices you can, and know that even if you decided to become a vegan organic homesteader you'll be killing a ton of insects.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    having gone through various phases of being vegetarian and vegan and omnivorous (currently omnivorous) I would say that my body functions at its best on an omnivorous diet.

That said, you should not be feeling weak on a vegetarian diet - are you getting enough iron? Lack of iron will make you feel weak or tired, but if you're talking about this happening after only a short time of being vegetarian, you would have to have already been borderline anaemic to begin with. There are a lot of vegetarian foods that are high in iron, but the kind of iron you get from vegetables is harder for the body to absorb, so you'd need more of it to compensate and eat it along with vitamin C rich foods (this helps the absorption of iron). If that doesn't help, get your iron levels tested at the doctors and if they're low take an iron supplement - there are plenty of vegetarian ones out there.

There are other possible nutrition issues that could result in you feeling weak and tired... back in the day there were websites which advised about how to go vegetarian safely and what foods you should eat to ensure you're getting all the nutrients that came from meat, i.e. which vegetarian foods are rich in these nutrients.

It will take your body time to adjust to eating a different kind of protein... back in the day it was always recommended to go vegetarian in stages, i.e. give up meat bit by bit and replace it bit by bit with plant equivalents, rather than going veggie overnight - this gives your body time to adjust. Unfortunately the trend nowadays seems to be online promoters of vegetarianism denying the fact that humans are omnivores and denying the need of the body for various nutrients that are harder to get on a vegetarian diet. This is a worrying trend, because people fall for it and put themselves at risk of health problems. That said, there probably are more level headed vegetarian websites out there that can tell you what nutrients to be careful that you're getting enough of and what plant foods contain them.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

This. I do not like the commercialization of the meat industry, and treatment of animals in facilities is too-often atrocious. For this reason I buy cage free and range-fed whenever I can. But I am not going to stop eating meat because:

a.) Animals are meant to be eaten. That is their job.
    b.) Meat in appropriate amounts is good for you, and delicious.
    c.) The animals do not care if I eat their meat, or not. Because they are dead. I personally think it's a bigger insult to refuse to use the products an animal gave its life to supply, and let it go to waste. At least I'm giving dignity to the animal's sacrifice by using its meat to build shmexy muscles on myself, rather than boycotting it and letting it go to waste.
  • baldmitch
    baldmitch Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm eating a vegan diet not out of some ethical concern, but out of health concern.

So, here's my advice. If you are concerned about the slaughter or treatment of animals grown or hunted for food, either become a vegan or vegetarian (veggie eaters will welcome you into our fold), or work past your own concern, accept and own your place in the food hierarchy, and continue eating meat.

I look forward to my next steak. I just don't know how many years it will be :)

As for being weak without meat, obviously your body likes meat, likes the processing and digestion and storage of meat. You can train your body to accept iron, fat, and protein in other forms. It might take time. My body took to the veggies and whole grains with actually more energy. Everyone's body and nutritional challenges are different, and what works for me won't mean diddly for you.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    There have been times when I was weak for some meat.
  • BlackRose101
    BlackRose101 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I haven't had meat in over 6 years. I'm alive and well and i'm a student athlete. I think you'll survive:smile::smile: :smile:
  • iamworthy14
    iamworthy14 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I don't eat meat..........haven't ate meat for several years..for both ethical and health and cuz I don't really like it....I don't like labels either.

I consider myself strong....I have a couple full marathons, couple tough mudders, lost count of how many half marathons, and countless other races crossed off my bucket list...and can hold my own in the weight room 2:-)

It was a challenge at first but like with any transition it takes time to get used to it.............and I DO NOT like tofu! sorry tofu lovers!
  • SheGlows
    SheGlows Posts: 520 Member
    Options

I said I became a vegan, I never said I still was one. I apologize that I did not clarify that part, and I in no way am claiming to be a "part-time" vegan! I'm sorry you took it that way.
    We are animals, like it or not. Further, we have an evolutionary history strong shaped by eating meat. While we are omnivores and could certainly survive without access to meat, it doesn't seem to have been the case for any known population of humans during the vast majority of our evolution (it is a completely recent phenomenon). Perhaps it was just because we've never had the luxury to completely avoid meat during our evolution. In any case, we are meat eating animals. That isn't "nice" or "pleasant," but the world doesn't change itself based on our sensibilities.

Sorry OP, didn't mean to turn this thread into an argument over veganism. I'll try to make it quick. We really could argue about this until the end of time, but it wouldn't accomplish anything. You'll have your views, and I'll have mine, and that's totally okay! There's conflicting evidence for just about every argument. There's even arguments saying we aren't omnivores, but that we're herbivores! I don't really agree with this, but the fact is, there's a study for everything. I completely agree that it's a luxury to completely cut out animal products, and I'm very thankful to live in a time where such luxuries exist. As long as I possess such a luxury, I will not contribute to MY perception of cruelty in industrial farming. I let my own ideas of ethics guide me, and since our ethics differ, not everyone agrees with the idea of stopping meat eating. However, if some of my family, some of my friends, and I can cut down on the demand of meat (therefore cutting down on the supply of meat), even just a little, we feel that we've done our part (not saying you're not "doing your part"). I'm not looking to "eradicate" meat-eating. I'm just refusing to participate:-) As Forrest Gump said, "And that's all I have to say about that!"
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    As a noobie vegan, I'm very encouraged by all the strong, fit vegans in this thread.