Limiting Sugar - Does source matter?

Options

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I know all of the foods I gained all my weight on (more than once in my life). Fruit was never one of those foods. I eat fruit now and I'm losing weight, although I do eat it alongside other foods. I rarely will go into the kitchen and grab a handful of fruit by itself. It actually makes me feel a little ill the few times I've done it.

Your results may vary.
  • rueyaroo
    rueyaroo Posts: 35
    Options
    Honestly just do whatever you want. Cutting fruit and sugar is what works for me, and I know for a fact that carbohydrates are processed differently in different types of individuals. I know because I have an endocrinologist, and have a lot of friends around me that are becoming physicians.

I dropped 40 pounds via calorie restriction, and a whole slew of diets + fasting to maintain weight. It wasn't until I started to control sugar that I could start dropping weight again, and I'm at -60.

If you think 150 calories of oatmeal and 150 calories of cupcakes are equal, you're sadly mistaken. Sugar is a controversial micronutrient and insulin resistance is in fact, higher and correlated with bmi. If you're trying to lose weight, fine they might be equal. But if you're trying to be healthy on the fundamental level, which is what people should be striving for anyway, then no.

Fruits that are entirely made of fructose are proven to not raise blood sugar like other sugar fruits can, so apples, pears, etc. Spiking insulin also packs on fat since your pancreas starts to produce insulin to try to put your blood back to a normal level. There's an entire book about insulin resistance, which btw everyone has-- just at different levels.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If you think 150 calories of oatmeal and 150 calories of cupcakes are equal, you're sadly mistaken. Sugar is a controversial micronutrient and insulin resistance is in fact, higher and correlated with bmi. If you're trying to lose weight, fine they might be equal. But if you're trying to be healthy on the fundamental level, which is what people should be striving for anyway, then no.

Did anyone claim that 150 calories of oatmeal and 150 calories of cupcake are equal?

This is a strawman argument.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Honestly just do whatever you want. Cutting fruit and sugar is what works for me, and I know for a fact that carbohydrates are processed differently in different types of individuals. I know because I have an endocrinologist, and have a lot of friends around me that are becoming physicians.

I dropped 40 pounds via calorie restriction, and a whole slew of diets + fasting to maintain weight. It wasn't until I started to control sugar that I could start dropping weight again, and I'm at -60.

Fruits that are entirely made of fructose are proven to not raise blood sugar like other sugar fruits can, so apples, pears, etc. Spiking insulin also packs on fat since your pancreas starts to produce insulin to try to put your blood back to a normal level. There's an entire book about insulin resistance, which btw everyone has-- just at different levels.

weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
  • rueyaroo
    Options
    The implication that the sources of sugars "don't matter" means that as long as the macronutrient of carbohydrates are fulfilled, the micronutrient doesn't matter-- which seems to be the idea of many in this forum.

I disagree, and I can't be convinced because eating a lot of carbs regardless of source (meaning that I used to eat both sugars and complex carbs prior to me cutting simple sugars to get past a several year plateau) has always blunted or stopped weightloss for me. I don't really care what studies have been written/or done since it's never produced a good outcome whenever I've applied those ideas to my diet.

edit* had to specify for the trolls.

I don't tell people what to do with their diet, I'm just stating what has worked for me in my several year journey.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    The implication that the sources of sugars "don't matter" means that as long as the macronutrient of carbohydrates are fulfilled, the micronutrient doesn't matter-- which seems to be the idea of many in this forum.

Did anyone claim that micronutrients do not matter?

I disagree, and I can't be convinced because eating a lot of carbs regardless of source has always blunted or stopped weightloss for me.

If eating a lot of carbs regardless of source has blunted weight loss wouldn't that imply that the source of the carbohydrate doesn't really matter, at least as far as your personal experience goes?

I don't really care what studies have been written/or done since it's never produced a good outcome whenever I've applied those ideas to my diet.

The problem is that you are taking personal experience and using it to justify potentially poor dietary choices in other people without paying consideration to those studies that you don't care about and without gathering more information about the individual's diet.

Decreasing fruit intake because of fear about sugar COULD be a very bad idea.
  • rueyaroo
    Options
    The sources of my carbs USED to be mostly sugar (fruits, white rice), if you read my previous posts I specified my plateau experience and how I got past it by eating only complex carbs.

Most of those links are showing me how glucose is processed in the body in the same way, but the studies aren't showing how the body processes it in a sudden release of a large quantities.

Okay-- then tell her to go increase sugar in her diet because we all know that doesn't cause diabetes at all.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Technically, wouldn't any sugar in almond milk be an "added sugar"? I mention this only because I think sometimes people go overboard on the distinction. IMO, saying carrots are good, because natural sugar, but adding a bit of sugar to rhubarb to make it more palatable is bad because, well, added doesn't make a ton of sense. You always need to look at context and the overall diet.

But that aside, I agree with the majority here, unless you are having issues meeting your calorie goals or achieving nutrition goals otherwise (and I think fruit, dairy, and almond milk all can be quite helpful in achieving nutrition goals, so are unlikely to be negatives unless you are consuming much higher amounts than seems likely if you are meeting your calorie goals), don't worry about it.

I also think total sugar grams isn't that useful to track. Maybe keep it a while to see how much you are eating, were it comes from, and if there are any surprises and if not try tracking something else.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Okay-- then tell her to go increase sugar in her diet because we all know that doesn't cause diabetes at all.

Did anyone say this to her?

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman
  • SideSteel
    Options

Most of those links are showing me how glucose is processed in the body in the same way, but the studies aren't showing how the body processes it in a sudden release of a large quantities.

The weightology link specifically discusses insulin and how it is misunderstood. It is a good read.
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I understand the sugar fear. I cut out carbs including most fruit and lost a ton of weight without calorie counting. I think a lot of people have seen results doing that so they think that is the only way or there is something magical about low carb. Low carb worked for me before when nothing else had because of intense food cravings that almost always ended in binges. It was a good strategy but after I got over my binge problem I stopped seeing results. Why? Cause its not magic. Eating low carb generally encourages eating food that is more satiating for fewer calories. This is why it was a good solution to my binge eating problem and also why people lose weight on it. It cuts out most processed food too- which also tends to be calorie dense and easy to overeat. Its not magic. Its calories in v out still.

Came here and I've been averaging 1lb of fruit in mostly berries a day + all the sweet potatoes and ice cream I can fit in and guess what- still look and feel awesome. Better even. I'm pretty sure I've either put on some muscle or lost some fat, whatever it is, I can see more abs but I don't look thinner (which I was trying to avoid). I keep my calories under control and the weight stays under control. Thats how it works, regardless of what you're eating.

To the op- unless you have medical reasons to avoid sugar its okay to eat it and carbs in general. If you feel great, are seeing the results you want and love your diet the way it is (and feel you can maintain it) keep it up.
  • nopotofgold
    nopotofgold Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Ty for the tip. I didn't know you could change the sugar to something else. Thanks for the info.
  • rueyaroo
    Options
    I think you all don't understand why I'm so insistent in what I believe.

I try things that either work or don't work, and eating sugar has never yielded positive results. So it is entirely redundant for me to try the same thing twice since I know it doesn't work for me, it doesn't matter what works for other people or whatever.

My bottom line is, do whatever you need to get where you want to be. Sugar is one that is controversial since some are sensitive to it and some are not. I just want to put my personal experience out there because my several year journey was not pleasant; if my experience can help someone else on the same boat, I'm happy because I know what a struggle it is. For several years after my initial 40 pound drop, I battled with the same 2 pounds and couldn't lose weight no matter what I tried. With that first bit of weight that I lost, it blunted my IR symptoms enough for doctors to leave me undiagnosed for years. Now I'm losing weight at a steady rate and things are dandy.

Anyway, i'm out. Trolls and personal attacks make me tired.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    If you think 150 calories of oatmeal and 150 calories of cupcakes are equal, you're sadly mistaken.

I didn't see anyone say that anywhere in this thread.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I try things that either work or don't work, and eating sugar has never yielded positive results. So it is entirely redundant for me to try the same thing twice since I know it doesn't work for me, it doesn't matter what works for other people or whatever.

My bottom line is, do whatever you need to get where you want to be. Sugar is one that is controversial since some are sensitive to it and some are not. I just want to put my personal experience out there because my several year journey was not pleasant; if my experience can help someone else on the same boat, I'm happy because I know what a struggle it is. For several years after my initial 40 pound drop, I battled with the same 2 pounds and couldn't lose weight no matter what I tried. With that first bit of weight that I lost, it blunted my IR symptoms enough for doctors to leave me undiagnosed for years. Now I'm losing weight at a steady rate and things are dandy.

This thread is about the OP...she is not you.

You did not post as if it was your experience - you initial posts were made as blanket statements for everyone.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    The sources of my carbs USED to be mostly sugar (fruits, white rice), if you read my previous posts I specified my plateau experience and how I got past it by eating only complex carbs.

Who is telling her to go to extremes? Other than you?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I disagree, and I can't be convinced because eating a lot of carbs regardless of source (meaning that I used to eat both sugars and complex carbs prior to me cutting simple sugars to get past a several year plateau) has always blunted or stopped weightloss for me. I don't really care what studies have been written/or done since it's never produced a good outcome whenever I've applied those ideas to my diet.

edit* had to specify for the trolls.

I don't tell people what to do with their diet, I'm just stating what has worked for me in my several year journey.

lol...I love it when people throw out the troll card when people disagree with them. I would suggest you look up what the word actually means.

No-one is trying to convince you of anything - this post in not about you as I mentioned above.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options

Sugar doesn't cause diabetes.

. . . Sugar is one that is controversial since some are sensitive to it and some are not.

Sugar is controversial because people need a demon to blame for weigh gain, just as added salt became a demon for high blood pressure. The truth is that many factors exist for processing any nutrient in the body, not the least of which is genetics.

To answer the OP's question: sugar is sugar. The body doesn't care where it comes from. It's what is processed with that sugar that causes so many people so many problems (other than diabetics, as mentioned several times in this thread).
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options

You made this about you and then generalized to everyone. The OP could feel great the way their diet is now and you're recommending they change it based on your experience. The OP is not you and if they like their diet there is no reason to change it and avoid fruit which is really nutritious simply because you don't do well on sugar and fruit. Its not a personal attack- its just true that everyone is not the same and if you had trouble with sugar that doesn't mean everyone will.

Low carb is a cool tool in the tool box, one I used and loved and so I get where you're coming from but keep in mind it is not the only tool nor the best one for everyone.