Dairy choices

Options
Archer9304
Archer9304 Posts: 113 Member
So this is probably personal preference to most people.

But when buying yogurt, cheese and milk, do you buy full fat, low fat or fat free?

I recently read something that said full fat is actually better for you nutritionally wise. Not sure myself. Would like pointers on that as well.

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Full fat. When there's more flavor, I become satisfied eating less of it. And most low fat things are filled with unnecessary sugars or fillers to replace the flavor stripped away by removing the fat. No bueno in my mouth. :mad:
  • Archer9304
    Archer9304 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Lol. Not where I live luckily. Full fat and fat free have about the same amount of sugar here. We also have a choice to buy yogurt sweetened or unsweetend.

Was wondering because I read that fat in dairy counts toward "good fats".
  • Muffie22
    Muffie22 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I tend to go for full fat if it's plain yoghurt that i'm gonna add fruit and stuff to but fat free if it's some crappy flavoured thing. Only where I live you can rarely get the full fat versions of certain brands cos everywhere seems to be pulling them off the shelves because of how evil fat is all making us all obese (plenty of sugary chocolately versions however...) -_-. Full fat cottage cheese is also pretty much impossible to get, and to me the no-fat ones just taste like watery sick.

Nutritionally, there's nothing wrong with getting full fat stuff, although i think reduced fat tends to have more protein (though as someone else said, often more sugar)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,088 Member
    Options
    I buy low fat milk - but yoghurt and cheese I usually buy full fat.

The types of yogurt and cheese I like are full fat - and I like them to much to change.

Whereas milk I am now used to low fat (full fat actually tastes too creamy to me now) and there is no added sugar in low fat milk.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I mix and match. I use 0 percent plain Fage as an easy protein source, but also buy 2 percent and full fat yogurts. I usually buy 1 or 2 percent cottage cheese because I'm used to it and prefer it. I usually buy milk at the farmers market and that's full fat, but I also sometimes supplement with 2 percent or skim. I'd never get reduced fat cheese. I think all of them are fine for you, so it depends on what you want.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I buy full fat when available - but it can be hard to get full fat yogurt. Nothing is comparable to 2% fage - so delicious and creamy. I like the fat because I find that it tastes better and is more filling.

When my parents starting noticing I was drinking whole milk they thought I was crazy. I was raised mostly on skim and 1%. :)
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I generally buy skim milk, non-fat plain Greek yogurt and low-fat cottage cheese (because that's the only kind I can find with no salt added).

For other cheeses, I just buy the full-fat. I don't use enough cheese to really worry about the extra calories from full fat versions, and the texture is never right when you melt the low-fat stuff. I used to have Cabot 50/50 available in my supermarket, and that was the only decent tasting and decent melting lower fat cheese I've ever tried. But since my supermarket stopped carrying it, I just use full-fat now.
  • kharmacat
    kharmacat Posts: 13
    Options
    For cheese, I've never done reduced fat. I just don't like the taste/texture. I love my cheese!! For milk, always whole. I think it's healthier and keeps you satisfied longer, and I don't use all that much, so... For yogurt, I eat a lot of it and go back and forth on full fat vs low-fat. I like the lower cals of Chobani 2% but really do think the full-fat ones are better for you...
  • sexymamadraeger
    sexymamadraeger Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Everyone in my family is lactose intolerant, so fat free for us! Although I buy full fat cheese because the texture is different with the reduced fat. I've read that 1% is healthier because the fat helps you absorb the minerals or something? But I can't help it. I'd rather not be sick :)
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Nonfat greek yogurt is my preference.
    Full fat milk.
    Full fat Knudsen cottage cheese.

I like the protein in the yogurt, I like the flavor of the milk and cottage cheese.
  • jennetsullivan
    jennetsullivan Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I generally buy skim milk, non-fat plain Greek yogurt and low-fat cottage cheese (because that's the only kind I can find with no salt added).

For other cheeses, I just buy the full-fat. I don't use enough cheese to really worry about the extra calories from full fat versions, and the texture is never right when you melt the low-fat stuff. I used to have Cabot 50/50 available in my supermarket, and that was the only decent tasting and decent melting lower fat cheese I've ever tried. But since my supermarket stopped carrying it, I just use full-fat now.

This, exactly, minus the greek yogurt thing - I buy regular greek yogurt because I prefer the flavor of the full fat. But yeah, everything else, ditto :wink:
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I always buy fat free Greek yogurt---less fat and good protein. I had to get used to it at first, but now, it is wonderful tasting.

For milk, I buy unsweetened vanilla almondmilk--which tastes great. It has only 30 calories a cup and extra calcium in it.

Cheese is full of cholesterol and fat and I used to love cheese. I have totally quit eating cheese and don't miss it one bit.

I'm more concentrated on looking for more healthy things to eat that I can afford and gradually add into my meal plan. When I can find things that are as good as the bad things are, why not eat better?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Full fat cheese. Low fat yogurt. Whatever milk is one on sale.
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    Full fat cheese, because it's better when melted.

Full fat Greek yogurt, because I don't like the fruit goop at the bottom of the fat free stuff.

2% milk, because I like the fat in it, but whole milk feels like it coats the inside of my mouth. Not a fan.
  • bombshellcertification
    bombshellcertification Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    no fat greek yogurt, lactose free skim milk, skim mozzarella string cheese sticks, full fat other cheese--cheddar, jack, swiss, brie, feta, gorgonzola you name it. The fun gourmet cheeses with cranberries, nuts, dates etc....in moderation for a treat or on a burger (the first 3)---greek yogurt & skim are my go to protein sources--for most things, smoothies, meals, add in's, baking ---etc--with dark chocolate syrup or cocoa powder--just got some fun things to throw in milk, smoothies or yogurt...
  • sharonpink
    sharonpink Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I buy full--fat cheeses. Flavor is compromised if you buy low-fat. But with yougurt, I usually buy plain Greek and add stevia and fruit, nuts, coconut or vanilla
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    All the dairy is pasteurized, except for some cheeses, like goat cheese or parmesan.
    Cultured dairy is pasteurized but not homogenized, which I think is healthier.
    The most health benefit is from organic grass-fed animals, and raw. This is harder to find, but I love the milk and butter! Sprout's is now carrying raw milk (Organic Pastures), and you can also order milk from OP.
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I buy and eat both non fat and full fat, actually! I prefer full fat, but sometimes the non-fat fits my remaining calories/macros better so i go with that on those days.
  • SquishyLaughter
    SquishyLaughter Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am lactose intolerant, so on the rare occasion that I buy cheese, I always buy full fat. If I am going to have digestive issues I would rather it be with the best. :laugh:

I also drink 2% Lactose Free milk, and Fage Fruyo greek yogurt.
  • BeginningAgainMay14
    BeginningAgainMay14 Posts: 97 Member
    Options

For other cheeses, I just buy the full-fat.,,,

I buy 1% instead of skim to help with calcium absorption, but otherwise, yep.