Blood in stool on a low carb diet!!!!

Options
Ok....I have been under strict orders from my GP to be on a low carb diet cause of a hormonal imbalance that has heightened my insulin level!!! I started 5 days ago, and apart from yesterday which I had between 90-100g of carbs, I have kept each day fairly low carb varying between 40-70... I've had berries and vegetables as well as lean meats...but not only have I put on a kilo, I found blood on the wipes after I went for a poo today!!!! What is that about? I know it's not hemmoroids cause my brother had them and they are extremely painful and there is no confusion as to what they are!!! I talked to someone else who said they did low carb briefly and they found blood in their stool too! Should I be worried!? I am not liking this diet, the amount of fat and protein I'm eating and the adverse results it is having!! What am I doing wrong?? I'm open to suggestions! I haven't been constipated either...I have been to the toilet every day, twice today! First time no blood!! And I've been drinking lots of water! But I have been bloated since I started! I really do need advice, and please don't tell me low carb is wrong etc...I'm not doing it through personal choice!

Replies

• Booda101
    Booda101 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    This really sounds like something you should be discussing with your doctor.
  • littlefoot612
    littlefoot612 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    This is a question you should be asking your Doctor. Make an appointment as soon as possible and don't assume it's because of the low carbs.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    sorry you're having so much trouble but you should probably ask your doctor
  • lilika_49
    lilika_49 Posts: 53
    Options
    This is a question you should be asking your Doctor. Make an appointment as soon as possible and don't assume it's because of the low carbs.

I have made an appointment for tomorrow!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Have you had beets recently? That can cause a color change. If not, then a trip to the doc would be advisable. There are many reasons for the appearance of blood in the stool all with varying degrees of severity.
  • lilika_49
    Options
    Have you had beets recently? That can cause a color change. If not, then a trip to the doc would be advisable. There are many reasons for the appearance of blood in the stool all with varying degrees of severity.

No beets, but I really have felt super bloated since going low carbs...and that is THE only change I have had to my life style in the past few days...I googled it and other people on low carb have had the same problem? I have to wait for tomorrow's appointment I guess...pah, I'm so annoyed
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    You're dying.
  • TonyPillz
    TonyPillz Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    You're dying.

Are you ****ing serious? Why would you say something like that
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    My somewhat educated input on bowel issues (as the wife of a man who has dealt with ulcerative colitis and several surgeries for the past 10 years or so) -

Blood IN the stool is generally dark in color, nearly black, and actually IN the stool, not on the paper and shows a bleeding issue somewhere up the line.

Bright red blood on the paper when you wipe is fresh, and generally from a hemorrhoid or a split - and yes, some hemorrhoids can be there without all the pain - depends on where they are located.

In either case, of course you should ask your doctor and I'm glad you have an appointment for tomorrow. :smile: But don't panic, you're not dying (although I thought that was a funny comment :tongue: ) - could be from something you ate, from bathroom frequency (is the twice a day more frequent than usual?), or some other harmless thing. The good thing is that you're getting it checked and by tomorrow you'll likely know what caused it.
  • lilika_49
    Options
    You're dying.

It's ok, people like you will keep it interesting enough!il I go in peace!!
  • lilika_49
    Options
    My somewhat educated input on bowel issues (as the wife of a man who has dealt with ulcerative colitis and several surgeries for the past 10 years or so) -

Blood IN the stool is generally dark in color, nearly black, and actually IN the stool, not on the paper and shows a bleeding issue somewhere up the line.

Bright red blood on the paper when you wipe is fresh, and generally from a hemorrhoid or a split - and yes, some hemorrhoids can be there without all the pain - depends on where they are located.

In either case, of course you should ask your doctor and I'm glad you have an appointment for tomorrow. :smile: But don't panic, you're not dying (although I thought that was a funny comment :tongue: ) - could be from something you ate, from bathroom frequency (is the twice a day more frequent than usual?), or some other harmless thing. The good thing is that you're getting it checked and by tomorrow you'll likely know what caused it.

Thank you so much for the mature adult reply! Yes this was not dark or black, it was rather red lol! (getting slightly graphic lol!) but it's made me less scared now!
  • lilika_49
    Options
    You're dying.

Are you ****ing serious? Why would you say something like that

Loool it's fine, luckily for all involved, my *kitten* might be bleeding but my sense of humour remains intact!!
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Could it be something as simple as a spot on your bum that you keep picking when you wipe, leaving a blood stain?
    I'm saying this because this happened to me once. And Yes. I DID get my wife to look for me.
  • ketoambahh
    ketoambahh Posts: 67
    Options
    Try eating more fiber if you're on a low carb diet, since it'll soften your stool and not irritate your bum.

For now use those moist wipes or a higher ply toilet paper so your hole isn't irritated too much.

Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with what you're doing. It could all be just an unfortunate coincidence.
  • WatchJenShrink
    WatchJenShrink Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've been on low carb since May and this has not happened to me even once.