Hemp protein recipes

Options
Hi all,

I have been told by doctors to stay away from protein shakes apart from hemp protein. Have eczema and the omega that is contained in it is helps to ease it. Only thing is it tastes horrible! I know this is a long shot but does anyone have any recipes that are easy to make and taste half decent??

Thanks!

Replies

• writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I like hemp protein when it can be hidden since it sort of just looks like pond scum when you mix it with water (I was never brave enough to actually try drinking it). I'd use it in a smoothie with a banana and some frozen strawberries and usually some kind of milk (water would work, too, to keep the calories down). I also found that hemp powder worked really well in baking. I've reduced the flour in recipes for muffins and cookies and added hemp powder to make up the difference.

Another way to get hemp into your diet without the powder would be hemp seeds or hemp hearts. I got a bag of hemp hearts at Costco the other day and have been adding them to my yogurt. They're about the size and texture of sesame seeds and just taste sort of nutty. Three tablespoons has 170 calories, a fair amount of healthy fats, and 10g of protein. The brand I got is Manitoba Harvest, the same company that makes the protein powder I used to use.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I tried Trader Joe's hemp protein and it was tolerable... I just don't care for any protein powder of any sort.
  • Vinnie2shoes
    Options
    You are the second person to tell me about hemp seeds...I'm definitely going to have to try them! Do they taste ok when just mixed with yogurt? I'm normally ok with drinking horrible shakes but hemp and water/milk just is on a different level of disgusting! I have a kilo bag of powder so I will try it with the fresh fruit. Thanks for your help!
  • Vinnie2shoes
    Options
    I tried Trader Joe's hemp protein and it was tolerable... I just don't care for any protein powder of any sort.

Is that a natural flavour hemp protein or was it flavoured? Looked everywhere and can't find flavoured hemp
  • Wenchiness
    Wenchiness Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    http://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes.php?recipe=1516 here is a recipe for hemp burgers. I haven't tried it, but it does have pretty good reviews
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Is that a natural flavour hemp protein or was it flavoured? Looked everywhere and can't find flavoured hemp

Manitoba Harvest has a chocolate hemp protein that I've read tastes pretty decent. I haven't actually tried it--I just use their plain protein powder (Hemp 70) in smoothies. I don't have the courage to try it with just water....

Re: the hemp seeds/hemp hearts, they actually taste pretty good, just nutty, none of the pond scum taste/look going on. Definitely easy enough to sprinkle on yogurt, smoothies, in granola, etc.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    You are the second person to tell me about hemp seeds...I'm definitely going to have to try them! Do they taste ok when just mixed with yogurt? I'm normally ok with drinking horrible shakes but hemp and water/milk just is on a different level of disgusting! I have a kilo bag of powder so I will try it with the fresh fruit. Thanks for your help!

The other day I had three tablespoons of hemp seeds with a cup of Greek yogurt and a tablespoon of honey. They taste slightly bitter, but the honey helped.

I switched from hemp to whey powder because I wanted one I could just drink with milk or water. I found I was having a hard time getting the hemp shakes to fit my calories because I added a lot of fruit to help with the flavor.

Another good use for the powder would be in protein pancakes. This is a recipe I like: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/991227-ultimate-protein-pancakes-omg

The recipe calls for whey powder, but I used hemp powder and added a little vanilla extract. They tasted like wheat pancakes to me.
  • simoneg14
    simoneg14 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I use hemp also and add half a banana to it, it does taste real bad!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I use the Manitoba brand but in vanilla flavor. I make a smoothie with frozen cherries, honey, sometimes unsweetened cocoa powder, almond milk and sometimes a splash of vanilla extract.

I also make these pancakes a lot: http://blissfulbritt.com/2013/09/10/brownie-protein-pancakes/ with whatever protein and flour I have on hand. I'm not vegan.

I have also made a few other pancakes but those are my favorite.