What was your "wakeup call"?

Options

Replies

• mhasita
    mhasita Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My dad dying because of diabetes. Seeing him losing his life to that horrible disease helped me realize that I needed to start making healthier choices with food.
  • garethlewry
    Options
    Mine was realising i needed to buy 42" trousers.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    In 2010, I caught a side view of my waist and midriff in a full-length mirror. That was the fateful day that I discovered I had developed a matronly fat pad in that area. My weight had not changed. Menopause in 2006 led to this horrifying redistribution of weight--all the fat on my hips/butt had shifted around to my waist! I knew at that moment I had to reevaluate my ideal weight. My ideal weight used to be 135; now, it is 112.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Making a deal with myself that I can't buy myself a surfboard until I hit under 200lbs, considering I'm going surfing end of August and I'm currently 205, might just make it :).
  • justisroyster
    justisroyster Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My daughter calling me fat and my friends getting 6 packs with women loving them.
  • JenToms80
    JenToms80 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Buying a size 18 pair of trousers....something just clicked
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    It's been about 2.5 years since I started this journey but one of the main memories I have is that I was no longer able to fit comfortably into the booths at more and more restaurants. Between that and needing a seatbelt extender to fly, as well as having to put the driver's seat of my car all the way back and STILL have my stomach touch the steering wheel... that was enough for me. I was at the point where I was getting to be too big to fit in "normal person" spaces.

Although I am not yet at my goal, I can now fit forwards AND sideways in booths, fly a plane without an extender, and now I can't even reach the pedals if my driver's seat is all the way back. I am a normal size person again and couldn't be happier about it. :)
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Being weighed in hospital about three and a half years ago, and seeing that I was almost 110kg/ 17st. There were plenty of signs before that, like clothes size increases, hating any pictures others took, and lack of energy, but they were often drowned out with food quickly enough. Nothing is crueller or more effective than the scales though.

Since then I made a lot of life changes, even if it took a while to actually do anything at all about it initially, but once I did after about 6/ 9 months, I made many changes, all gradual, but each building on the previous one when I felt the timing was right. Habit can be a very powerful thing, and finding myself dragged along by it, I hit my target weight about 2 years ago. Between now and then, unfortunately about half of what I lost crept back on over time, and although I had one period in the middle where I shaved back the pounds a little, I never really maintained what I lost.

This time I'm more motivated than ever, and intend to both lose weight, and keep it off. Good lifelong habits are what interest me most these days, and I feel I have a good idea where to go from here :)
  • cookiekrunch
    cookiekrunch Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Looking at a facebook picture of myself and not recognizing the person on the screen. I made it my before picture for my profile for motivation.
  • Allterrain_Lady
    Allterrain_Lady Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Everything was a struggle and I could find clothes.
    One day: "You're 30 years old and you can't walk that far without being out of breath, getting a purple face, sweating AND feeling like your legs are going to fall off?!" came to my mind.
    I was ashamed of myself. New journey started!
  • amandarawr06
    amandarawr06 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    When I was having trouble fitting into XL shirts when shopping. (Am now down to a L - sometimes a medium).

Also, when walking past window front stores or mirrors in public and refused to make eye contact with my reflection because I was so ashamed of what I had become.
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    The number on the scales and the before pics I took, they're absolutely hideous.
  • mikebooker1
    mikebooker1 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Joined a hiking group in February to meet new people and I enjoy hiking, but it somehow escaped my notice that I was extremely unfit and quite overweight.
    I couldn't do it, kept the entire group up waiting for me continuously so I could catch my breath! I couldn't finish it, I let them go on without having to wait, and just went home before everyone. Didn't have the guts to go back to that group again, felt so ashamed that I didn't realise how far I'd let myself go. But I worked on my fitness and weight goals over a few months and recently went back with my partner and completed the entire hiking route without even having to stop once. I'm kinda glad it happened.

similar thing happened to me... great for you!
  • glenelliott5872
    glenelliott5872 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    (1) Having a friends kid nick naming me "Big Fat Belly Boy"
    (2) Snoring
    (3) Sleep Apnea
    (4) getting out of breath climbing the stairs
    (5) wearing elasticated trousers
    (6) being shown MFP and realising that losing weight was possible
  • Learning2LoveMe64
    Options
    my ex husband and i are still real good friends. His wife who is about 10 years younger than me, and about 100 lbs lighter had a heart attack and nearly died. It made me take a real good look at myself and i knew i had to make some changes if i want to live
  • MegE_N
    MegE_N Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    The thought of going wedding dress shopping, but none of the samples would fit me.
  • djprice_69
    djprice_69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Going to a Kohl's store to get a new pair of jeans & dress pants for work, and everything being too small. I've been 'big' my whole life, but that was a terribly humiliating experience. I'm down about 25 lbs from there so far.
  • nopotofgold
    nopotofgold Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    :grumble: Pants not fitting.
  • cindylou1992
    Options
    Realising that if I got pregnant now I would have a bump surrounded by a big layer of fat. I would look fatter, not pregnant. I want the cute little bump whenever it happens. Plus I got on the scales and I'm massive now. :/
  • nobel99
    nobel99 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Finding it ridiculously expensive to keep buying bigger sizes in clothes when I had so many perfectly good shirts/pants packed away in bins. My fat clothes were too tight....it was sad and pathetic. I'm now enjoying my regular sizes (sizes I wore in my before-kids years) & clothes shopping is much more enjoyable. I went from a size 12 pants to a size 6 and feel much better. I still have 10 pounds to go before I'm "happy" but it's been a great learning experience, logging all my food and evaluating the worth/worthlessness of certain foods. I also value the fact that I need to MOVE everyday.... walking and taking the stairs. Being lazy is not a healthy option.