increased hunger with exercise

Options
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions regarding the increase in hunger with consistent exercise. My appetite really increaes when I do serious movement, like running, which is what I prefer doing. I also like to walk. But wow! Do I get hungry when I finish. Is it all in my head?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Replies

• Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Eat more.
  • mlisa44
    mlisa44 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have the same problem
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I plan for six meals/snacks per day. usually one of these eating times corresponds with the time I am done working out. just plan ahead and have something after working out like a smoothie, oatmeal, some meat, etc
  • brosdontcuddle
    Options
    You should eat more on workout days anyway to ensure your body still gets fed properly as your using so much energy! post workout snack definetly helps so make sure you leave some calories in your day for post workout!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much you're running, it's probably completely normal. I don't actually notice an increase in hunger so much right after running but I am hungrier later in the day if I don't eat more calories. Since you're burning a few hundred calories from a longer run (approx. 100/mile) you should also eat some of those calories back during the day.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    You have to fuel your body, eat more food....... Best of Luck
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options

Well, there really is nothing else to add. :drinker:
  • PapaChanoli
    PapaChanoli Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Commenting to follow...and bump.
  • nopotofgold
    nopotofgold Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    If you are running out in your neighborhood, first I would get a heart rate monitor. That way you can see how many calories you are really burning. It will help tell show you if you are hungry because you use a lot of fuel or habit. I find protein shake help curb the appetite after working out and don't add to many calories (mine is 30g of protein and 130 calories), if it is from hunger. You might also mistake thirst for hunger, so make sure you are drinking plenty of water.
  • shannishan05
    shannishan05 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I always seem to be hungrier and able/need to consume more when I'm exercising reagularly. To combat the hunger, I try to keep a few healthy snacks on me at all times. If not, I find myself binging on fast food and other junk.
  • pookeyism
    pookeyism Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am willing to guess you need hydration, and you needed it before you exercised also. Dehydration often masks itself with a feeling like hunger.

Consider finishing your exercise with a few bites of a melon, or strawberries or tomatoes, cucumber - something nourishing, low-cal and yet vital to eating well - and hydrating!
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    when i get hungry between meals on weight/resistance training days, i eat a non-fat greek yogurt or have a scoop of protein powder between meals. when i get hungry on cardio days, i have 100 to 120 calories of a complex carb like oats, barley or a whole grain bread.
  • esparzateresa
    Options
    I generally eat a snack such as hickory smoked tuna in the pouch from Starkist, it's only 90 calories and man does it keep hunger at bay. I eat it right out of the pouch. It keeps me satisfied for long periods of time also.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    when you train/workout, you have to eat more. really, it only makes sense.