How do you track calories burned when you go to the gym?

Options
Hi there,

I'm new to this and i'm trying to track all calories in and out. I'm struggling with how to do this when I go to the gym. When I walk/jog it's easy - run keeper tells me according to my pace/duration/weight/ ect. I'm struggling with how to track calories when I go to the gym to weight train. Since I am just beginning, I do a little bit of everything (legs, abs, arms, shoulders) with machines and free weights. I can't find anything appropriate to log it as in the exercise database on MFP, so I've been logging it as "calisthenics, light/mod effort." I know a good rule is to overestimate cals in and underestimate cals out, and this was the best option that I could find. I want to log it as SOMETHING, otherwise I don't feel like I'm getting "credited" for the exercise.

Do you log your cals burned when you go to the gym? If so, how?

Replies

• beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a HRM. Thats what I used to use, but now I just use MapMyFitness seeing how my HRM broke.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Search for TDEE on the boards. It may be much easier for you rather than trying to guess how much you are burning at each session.
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Search for TDEE on the boards. It may be much easier for you rather than trying to guess how much you are burning at each session.

+1
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I second the TDEE method.

Go here and enter your stats: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Then it will spit out a calculation you want based on your goals, and you eat that many calories a day. You do not log exercise calories because they are already included in your TDEE. Much much much easier then figuring out how many calories you are burning.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    There is an option for "Strength Training" under Cardiovascular, that's what I use. It it generally agreed upon that MFP overestimates calories burned. If I don't have another way to log, I record about 2/3 of the time I spent exercising and go with that.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    You cannot use an HRM for weight training.

I just use the MFP estimates, its as good as anything. You cannot accurately track weight lifting. It's typically around 200 to 300 for me, and most people will agree that the range is in the 150 to 300 range.

There is NO WAY to measure this. So, just go with something reasonable. You're safe with around 200.

^^This
    What @Guitar Jerry wrote

I used to think otherwise, but reading on the forums I finally got it through my head that HRMs are only good for steady state cardio like walking on incline up treadmill, elliptical, stair stepper, running at constant pace.

Most people have advised me to pick a low number and live with that. The benefits of weight training go way beyond the instantaneous calorie burn.

Good luck!
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I don't bother counting weight training. like others have said it is only 100 - 300 calories. I do track cardio like walking.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    There is an option for "Strength Training" under Cardiovascular, that's what I use. It it generally agreed upon that MFP overestimates calories burned. If I don't have another way to log, I record about 2/3 of the time I spent exercising and go with that.
    This is probably your best option. Another is just to ignore the extra calories you burn weight lifting. It's really not that much and it'll give you some extra cushion against underestimating the calories you've eaten. I usually give myself 90 calories for the hour or so I spend lifting. I know I've burned more than that because I'm lifting heavy but I don't lift weights for the calorie burn.
  • MzNeecie
    MzNeecie Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have a polar HRM and it is usually spot on. I use it during all my workouts ( cardio, strength, yoga, swim etc) and it is a great tool. Not sure why the young man above said you cant use a HRM during weight lifting, yeah you don't tend to burn as much as cardio but some of my weight training classes at the gym incorporate cardio in between sets to keep our heart rate up and I find that on a good day i can burn up to 450 -500 cals. To each his own but thats my take on it. hope you find what works for you.
  • Meredith8684
    Meredith8684 Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I lift really weights (heavy is dependent on you! if it's hard to lift, it counts as heavy), so I want either my protein shake or quest bar afterward. Therefore I count those exercise calories! I usually put in 30 minutes of circuit training even if it takes me 45 minutes.
  • SantanaHice
    SantanaHice Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Get a Heart Rate Monitor for cardio and consider weight training as "icing on the cake". I have a Polar FT4. It's not too expensive and is way more accurate at calories burned than a machine or app. Happy exercising!
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    To log weight training, go under 'cardiovascular' and search for "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)".
    It gives you some calorie credit for weightlifting. Not a lot, but it's better than none.

I log the minutes of weightlifting & elliptical I do, plus in my exercise notes I record the info from the machine at the gym (time, distance, calories) which is usually about 2/3 of what MFP claims I burned.
    I also have a pedometer app on my phone, which is more for general info than counting calories.

Usually I ignore exercise calories for the purpose of deciding how much to eat; I just aim to be consistently under my goal (currently 1700 cal).
    If I'm really hungry at the end of the day, I'll eat back 1/3 to 1/2 of what the machine says I burned. Using the lower number ensures that I won't go over. That could amount to anything from nonfat yogurt & fruit to a half sandwich (usually turkey & cheese).
    And if I do go over by a couple hundred, maybe I went to the Chinese buffet for lunch, I don't stress about it because I have that cushion from exercise.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm new to this and i'm trying to track all calories in and out. I'm struggling with how to do this when I go to the gym. When I walk/jog it's easy - run keeper tells me according to my pace/duration/weight/ ect. I'm struggling with how to track calories when I go to the gym to weight train. Since I am just beginning, I do a little bit of everything (legs, abs, arms, shoulders) with machines and free weights. I can't find anything appropriate to log it as in the exercise database on MFP, so I've been logging it as "calisthenics, light/mod effort." I know a good rule is to overestimate cals in and underestimate cals out, and this was the best option that I could find. I want to log it as SOMETHING, otherwise I don't feel like I'm getting "credited" for the exercise.

Do you log your cals burned when you go to the gym? If so, how?
    No.
    I dont track them at the gym nor do I estimate cals out.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I don't bother counting weight training. like others have said it is only 100 - 300 calories. I do track cardio like walking.

I don't either. I don't intend to eat those calories back, as they're not many, so I just track my running (cardio).