Female weakling wants to build strength. Advice?

Options
Hello there!

So I decided it's time to get muscular. Why? Because:
1. Weak back = pain
2. I want to be able to do stuff like (help) carry a beer keg and open jars by myself
3. After reading a whole lot, muscle seems like the only reasonable way to lose fat and keep it off

I find it motivating to go along with some instructional video. Makes me feel less alone in my suffering. Being the girl that I am, I looked for some fun fitness vid focusing a bit more on building muscle. I found the 30DS, tried it and died. Well, almost.
So I am a weakling and need to start with something really easy. I can't do push ups. No, not even on my knees. I can do a few using a table, though. Yay!

Like all so many females my fitness experience so far has been focused on cardio. I'm no overachiever in that area either but even when untrained I can run a 5K without dying and when I do train I improve reasonably quickly.

So here is my question for you: How does a weakling with no experience in all that muscly stuff start improving strength?
If you know some fun videos that would be great, but I'm really thankful for any hint whatsoever.

Ciao and thanks!
Bunny

PS: I'm motivated: I bought a couple of dumbbells. Now what do I do with them?

Replies

• StephanieT0602
    StephanieT0602 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Following. Would love to read the responses you get :)
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Read New Rules of Lifting for Women - amazing book. You may also want to get a few personal training sessions at a gym to learn the proper form for lifting.
  • christinacrisfield
    christinacrisfield Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Here is what I did. I was pretty athletic. Then I got sick...I was diagnosed with Lupus. I have been in full remission - no medication or anything - for nearly a year. I went straight back to the gym and did a few challenges to bring back my muscles. But since you are starting out - you want to build your own strength back slowly. Have you ever tried yoga? That's the first thing I did. It helped me be able to life myself again. How many push ups can you do? Amazingly I was shocked at how I could barely do one without shaking when I started up. This one is pretty easy - found it on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhXdSo-8nQw

Also my fav exercises to do that require nothing but space are planks and burpees.
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I recommend starting with some simple body weight calisthenics, like the table pushups, jumping jacks, sit-ups and deep knee bends. With the pushups, work toward 20 reps, then see if you can do 10 knee pushups. Work up to 25 or 30 knee pushups, and start working on planks. Once you can do 25 or 30 knee pushups and a one minute plank, then you could try doing full pushups. It would be good to have someone evaluate your form. I wouldn't go to a personal trainer, because they will probably overwork you on the weights. Once you get to a one minute plank, your back should start feeling much stronger and better. Hold off on picking up the beer kegs for a while and try not to play Hercules if you drink too much.
  • mbz0616
    mbz0616 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've used this workout plan for the past year or so (I just keep repeating phase 2). I like it because, for each exercise, there's a video with a voiceover that explains each step in the exercise,a detailed explanation of how the perform the exercise, and a list of alternative exercises that work the same muscle area. (I don't follow the diet and supplements recommendations, though there are some tasty protein bar recipes.)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-phase-1.html
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I second New Rules of Lifting for Women. It's a book, not a video. But it is heavy lifting that starts out high rep/low weight and progresses you into low rep/high weight, so it can be a great starter program for women who are specifically weak in the strength department and used to cardio.

However, the key to any progressive training is that you have to not be afraid to fail sometimes. That's how you get better. If you're doing a video and it's too difficult, that's all the more reason to KEEP doing it time and again. So, whether you lift heavy iron, do body weight exercises, or following a video, you're going to have to have some days of feeling a little like you're dying before you get any better.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Another recommendation for New Rules, but if you are that weak you might want to talk to a doctor first, maybe ask about some physical therapy or something first. Backs are not something to mess around with.
  • SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Check out http://www.fitnessblender.com/
    Husband and wife team of trainers and they have hundreds of free videos for every level and tell you how to modify as well...all different types of workouts from short in length to long!
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    If your back is giving you trouble now, then I would suggest walking (not running) and yoga to start. Since you already have a problem in that area the first exercises you do for your back should all be based upon only your body weight with no added weight. Only add weights once moving your own body weight is not a challenge.

Your arms and legs you can go ahead and use the weights you bought if your own body weight is not challenging. That may sound strange, but there are some rotor cuff muscles in your shoulder that, starting out, often have a hard time just lifting the weight of your arms, if you put your arms into a position that isolates a single small muscle out of the group.

It is best if you have someone who knows free-weights teach you how to use them, but you can also use a combination of book learning and online videos. I suggest trying each lift as full reps and sets with imaginary weights the first time, to make sure your own body weight is not a challenge for those muscle groups and so you can focus on the form you have read or watched about. You may have old injuries you don't recall that speak up when you do this. When you know you're ok, then try adding weight.

If you bought the kind of weights that has a bar with plate-weights added to the ends, remember that the empty bar also is a weight on its own and for some small muscle groups this may be enough to start with.

I learned basic principles of lifting from a competitive power-lifter who was a college classmate and from books, but don't recall specific exercises and so don't consider myself particularly knowledgeable about weight-lifting. So I'm open to corrections from current experts, with the caveat the OP mentions being unusually weak and having back pain, so I'm going to guess maybe other past injuries to work around too.
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    bump
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I never lifted weights. Then i joined a crossfit gym. I have no interest in competitions or having 10% body fat... But if helped me get into the best shape I have ever been in... still have a way to go before goal... but My upper body strength and tone/definition is unlike anything I have ever had. I LOVE IT.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    starting strength
    strong lifts
    new rules of lifting
    or even strong curves.

Get it out of your head this is a female game.

It's not- it's weight training- there is no female/male anything. You just start training to get stronger.
    Don't worry about getting bulky- it's laughable difficult to do so. At a moderate calorie deficit you can still get stronger- still lose fat. Win win around.

go forth- be fabulous!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Short Answer: Lift heavy things.

First of all, 30 Day Shred isn't going to help you build muscle. It's cardio. You need to lift weights like everyone else that wants to gain a considerable amount of strength. Start a program like StrongLifts 5x5, Strong Curves, Starting Strength, or New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Short Answer: Lift heavy things.

First of all, 30 Day Shred isn't going to help you build muscle. It's cardio. You need to lift weights like everyone else that wants to gain a considerable amount of strength. Start a program like StrongLifts 5x5, Strong Curves, Starting Strength, or New Rules of Lifting for Women.

I agree to a point with this...

30DS however does have bodyweight training in it...I started with that back in June of 2013 and had a hard time doing pushups...mid august I was doing full on non modified pushups and keeping up with the "advanced" routine.

To the OP start with some bodyweight exercises, do those until you are ready to add some weight in then use your dumbells but be warned it won't be long before you have out grown those....

then start lifting heavy stuff.
  • bunnylion
    bunnylion Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I've used this workout plan for the past year or so (I just keep repeating phase 2). I like it because, for each exercise, there's a video with a voiceover that explains each step in the exercise,a detailed explanation of how the perform the exercise, and a list of alternative exercises that work the same muscle area. (I don't follow the diet and supplements recommendations, though there are some tasty protein bar recipes.)

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately the program seems to mainly use studio equipment. Maybe I should have mentioned that I need something I can do at home... I have crazy schedule sometimes and it's a lot easier for me to squeeze in a workout at home.
  • pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I was recommended Superman's to help with back (my back area is weak too):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc6UVRS7PW4

as well as sit-ups on an incline bench (your head at the bottom, your feet at the top, bring your torso up to the halfway point :D)
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately the program seems to mainly use studio equipment. Maybe I should have mentioned that I need something I can do at home... I have crazy schedule sometimes and it's a lot easier for me to squeeze in a workout at home.

Convict Conditioning
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Do others have any opinions on the book "Strength Training for Women" by Lauri Incledon?

What about "5 hour body" (a title which I find amusing because I suspect most people spend less than 5 hours a week working out already)?
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women as well.

When I started the program, I wasn't a "newbie" to weight lifting. I have still had great success with it and have made some pretty awesome strength gains in just Stage 1 of the program. The book is very informative, has pictures of the moves, and offers a bunch of variations if you are unable to do some of the moves.
  • bunnylion
    bunnylion Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I second New Rules of Lifting for Women. It's a book, not a video. But it is heavy lifting that starts out high rep/low weight and progresses you into low rep/high weight, so it can be a great starter program for women who are specifically weak in the strength department and used to cardio.

However, the key to any progressive training is that you have to not be afraid to fail sometimes. That's how you get better. If you're doing a video and it's too difficult, that's all the more reason to KEEP doing it time and again. So, whether you lift heavy iron, do body weight exercises, or following a video, you're going to have to have some days of feeling a little like you're dying before you get any better.

New Rules of Lifting for Women sounds interesting. But how much equipment do you need for that? I have a tiny one-room-apartment and wouldn't know how to fit a full set of weight anywhere :-(

Yes, you are absolutely right about needing to die a little to improve. With cardio I know how my body feels and when I can push a little more and when I really need to stop. With strength training I don't have this experience (yet), so I want to start easy to make sure I don't hurt myself.