Getting Back on Track...

Options
I was down 17 lbs at one point in April before life hit. Then I was down about 13 a few weeks ago when life hit again but in a different way. Currently only down about 8 lbs. I'm determined to STAY on track this time.

I'd ask for motivational remarks, but honestly they don't help overly much. So add some good GIFs! Good mood = Motivated.

:)

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    not in the mood for gifs to be frank.....

but just gonna say this..life happens as you are well aware and regardless of what that is (cause it happens to me all the time) it's not enough to get me off track.

If you are really determined you don't need gifs, remarks or anything like that...you just do it.
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Normally I'd agree, but without going into too much detail, the main thing that pushed me off track was a rather intense bout of depression. It's not something I hope to go through again.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    While depression is sad and if it is really bad should be treated by a professional, it should not be an excuse to get you off track. Too many people binge on comfort foods when depression or boredom hits and it isn't OK. The cure to depression isn't eating, so why would you say "life happened" as if that makes it not your fault.

You are in control of your own life. Control your cravings and control the things you do when your mood swings out of whack.

We all slip, but we should learn from those mistakes and improve ourselves going forward. Don't give yourself hurdles that you don't need.
  • krennie8
    Options
    Unless you have been there, it's impossible to realize the depth of despair one is capable of feeling. Trust me, I know I made my own choice to go off track in that time.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Remember to take care of yourself and your feelings. Acknowledge and express feelings appropriately as they arise, and always remember to take care of your vital needs (different from person to person-- perhaps alone time, listening to music, group projects... you might need to take some time to figure out what yours are). Also regular aerobic exercise and adequate sleep does wonders for depression. Taking care of your vital needs, acknowledging and expressing emotion, having a regular sleep/wake schedule, and regular exercise really do help prevent depression from taking over. (I've been there!) Doing these things help keep you balanced, like a wheel, so you can just roll along through difficult patches much easier.

I'd include a gif but I don't know how to make them.
  • cecarry1
    cecarry1 Posts: 18
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat. Started off losing weight, now heavier than I've ever been. Mostly due to 2 or 3 really really bad cycles of depression. My psychiatrist is trying to help with my meds, but those take at least 6 weeks to start really helping.

In the meantime, I spend as much time with my dog as possible.

I'm computer illiterate and couldn't post a picture/gif of him. But he's really really cute/energetic
  • krennie8
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat. Started off losing weight, now heavier than I've ever been. Mostly due to 2 or 3 really really bad cycles of depression. My psychiatrist is trying to help with my meds, but those take at least 6 weeks to start really helping.

In the meantime, I spend as much time with my dog as possible.

I'm computer illiterate and couldn't post a picture/gif of him. But he's really really cute/energetic

Animals are great pals! My roommate has 2 cats who, while not quite as good company as my parents dog, helped.
  • cecarry1
    cecarry1 Posts: 18
    Options
    Animals are great pals! My roommate has 2 cats who, while not quite as good company as my parents dog, helped.
    [/quote]

My kitty is great too. The added benefit of the dog is that he makes me move more. He has to go on walks or he keeps me awake all night. It's not intense exercise, but it's better than nothing. On the flip side, I have an uncle who is so depressed that he can't take care of his dog, and she ends up triggering him instead of helping. I keep hoping he can get past that threshold and get to a point where the dog is a coping agent.