I've gained 46 pounds in 12 days!

Options
I've been sick since July 4th. I went to the hospital July 7th and got fluids for being dehydrated. Then on the 9th I went to my lap band doctor to get adjusted and talked to my doctor because I had thought I was bulimic but according to her it was all because my band was to tight. So Thursday I noticed I started swelling all over and thought that I was having an allergic reaction to something. By Sunday I was feeling a little better and the swelling had gone down. When I got to work Monday morning I weighed myself and had put on 25 pounds. I started swelling again Monday night. I went back to the doctor on Thursday (6/17) and had put on a total of 40 pounds in 8 days. The doctor said she was not sure what was going on that no one could put on that much weight in that amount of days she was going to call my lap band doctor and talk to her that she would give me a call when she found something out. Later that day the swelling got bad so I went to the hospital they admitted me for low potassium and ran all kinds of test trying to figure out what was wrong. The doctors don't know why I am swelling and most of the doctors did not believe I gained that much weight even though I had proof from my last 2 doctor appointments. Plus I was gaining weight while in the hospital. So now here it is 12 days since my last adjustment and I've put on a total of 46 pounds in 12 days! I've called my lap band doctor and they said they will call me back. I'm not sure what else to do but I'm freaking out!!! Has anyone else had any problems like this or heard of anything happening to make someone put on this kind of weight...the doctors I've seen say I can't hold that much water weight and it cant be weight from over eating that it has to be the lap band.

Replies

• sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to remove the band? I have no idea what's going on but this sounds really severe... I hope it all works out, it's good that you're being in constant touch with health care providers
  • Eselte
    Eselte Posts: 49
    Options
    Uh.. I'm not a physician but you should probably not wait for a call back and just head to the ER...
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Uh.. I'm not a physician but you should probably not wait for a call back and just head to the ER...

Agreed! Please be safe!
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely agree in heading to the ER. That cannot feel comfortable.
  • 1911JR
    1911JR Posts: 276
    Options
    I've been sick since July 4th. I went to the hospital July 7th and got fluids for being dehydrated. Then on the 9th I went to my lap band doctor to get adjusted and talked to my doctor because I had thought I was bulimic but according to her it was all because my band was to tight. So Thursday I noticed I started swelling all over and thought that I was having an allergic reaction to something. By Sunday I was feeling a little better and the swelling had gone down. When I got to work Monday morning I weighed myself and had put on 25 pounds. I started swelling again Monday night. I went back to the doctor on Thursday (6/17) and had put on a total of 40 pounds in 8 days. The doctor said she was not sure what was going on that no one could put on that much weight in that amount of days she was going to call my lap band doctor and talk to her that she would give me a call when she found something out. Later that day the swelling got bad so I went to the hospital they admitted me for low potassium and ran all kinds of test trying to figure out what was wrong. The doctors don't know why I am swelling and most of the doctors did not believe I gained that much weight even though I had proof from my last 2 doctor appointments. Plus I was gaining weight while in the hospital. So now here it is 12 days since my last adjustment and I've put on a total of 46 pounds in 12 days! I've called my lap band doctor and they said they will call me back. I'm not sure what else to do but I'm freaking out!!! Has anyone else had any problems like this or heard of anything happening to make someone put on this kind of weight...the doctors I've seen say I can't hold that much water weight and it cant be weight from over eating that it has to be the lap band.

This smells of troll post.

If for some reason this would actually be true, you need the ER, and not a message board.
  • ivy20062007
    Options
    I've been to the ER and was admitted to the hospital from Thursday until Saturday. The doctors did all kinds of test and could not find anything so they said and would not believe me about the weight gain. I came here to see if anyone else has heard of anything like this.
  • fangedneko
    fangedneko Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    This smells of troll post.
    Agreed.
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I've been to the ER and was admitted to the hospital from Thursday until Saturday. The doctors did all kinds of test and could not find anything so they said and would not believe me about the weight gain. I came here to see if anyone else has heard of anything like this.

Go to a different ER. Obviously there's something wrong, anyone who gains that much that quickly has to have some underlying condition!

How long have you had your lap band?
  • ivy20062007
    Options
    Since Dec 2012.
  • ivy20062007
    Options
    I promise this is real. I dont know why someone would make up something like this...
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I promise this is real. I dont know why someone would make up something like this...

Because it's the internet.

If true get to the ER asap.
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I had a friend that gained 30 lbs in two days... it was a problem with her kidneys. She too had issues convincing the doctors that she had gained that much weight. She was sent home from the urgent care/ER three times before someone figured out what the issue was. She was in the hospital for almost a week and then on months of steroid therapy. They never did determine "why" it happened.
  • eclaireya
    eclaireya Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Take your proof of your weight gain and get to an ER immediately. When I was pregnant with my first, I gained 13 lbs in 36 hours. Fortunately both weights were taken at the hospital so there was no distrust on the part of the doctors. I had severe preeclampsia and my kidneys had about had it and I was retaining a ridiculous amount of water. So yes it's perfectly possible to see an enormous weight gain in a short amount of time. It is not, however, normal. See a doctor.
  • mrbyte
    mrbyte Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Are you passing liquids?
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    bump
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    You might have an internal infection relating to the band. I had a friend who had to have his removed because of it.
  • whovian67
    Options
    My biggest concern is for your heart and kidneys, not the lap band..

I'd go to another ER... soon
  • MadeInUK
    MadeInUK Posts: 3
    Options
    are you on prednisone for any reason - that will promote weight gain, a lot in a really short time.
    I agree though - go to a different ER. and continue to call the lap band doc, don't wait, this is your health, your life.
  • MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    My biggest concern is for your heart and kidneys, not the lap band..

I'd go to another ER... soon

Yes, I was thinking kidneys as well.

Don't even read anymore responses, go to the ER right now.
  • whovian67
    Options
    If your doc continues to ignore you, I would document every time you attempt to contact them..

MD's are NOT Gods contrary to their own beliefs.... report them to AMA.