always over daily calorie consumed

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    its not a day, over 5 days so its about 695 cal a day! I log everything but at the end of the day I get discouraged about my eating habits,

I just want to state again, as others have, maybe 2 lbs/week is too aggressive of a goal for you. If you change it to 1 lb/week, then you would have 500 cals/day extra to work with. Now, you'd still be over by about 200 cals, but that is a much more manageable number to try to make small changes in order to achieve. I don't have specific advice for you, since your diary is closed, but 200 cals is something you can either make small dietary changes to achieve (smaller portions, cut out one snack, etc) or you can easily put the baby in the stroller and walk for 30 minutes in order to burn 200 calories. Once you start seeing that you can stay on track with reasonable goals, and still lose weight, then I think you will be able to stick with things and be successful in the long run.
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Since your spouse makes you feel like you have to rush your workout why don't you leave him at home with the baby? You get a break, and he gets to be a good daddy!!! :love:
  • valerie0021
    valerie0021 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Meal prep is something that may help. I found with my busy lifestyle it makes eating so much easier. If you can get an afternoon weigh everything out and portion meals in tupperware. You can use labels to write how many calories are in each or you can go into the meal section of the food section and plug everything in. takes one click to log it in. I make a bunch of 400 calorie meals. I'm a picky eater so I just make a bunch of the same things and pop them in the freezer. Just take a few out for a few days and pop in the fridge. Then they're thawed and ready for the microwave.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could plan your day rather than to fill in the log at the end of the day. I log everything each morning that I plan to eat. the log can always be edited later if plans change.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others that you should start with a less aggressive goal -- going from eating "maintenance plus" to "major fat loss" should be done in stages instead of cold turkey (sounds like you understand that intuitively, which is one reason you're "going over" your too-aggressive goal).

Also you should experiment with various foods to see which ones (1) satisfy you more, and (2) stick with you better. A calorie goal is sort of like a household budget -- you have to pick and choose what to spend it on. In my case, I cut out a lot of "flavorless stuff", such as rice, most breads, most noodles, most potatoes, but that's just what works for me -- you need to figure out what works for your preferences.

Also, don't think you have to start with a monster gym workout to get going -- I lost my first 30 pounds doing nothing but T25 (a 30-minute routine) and the occasional ski day. Admittedly, the weight loss was from calorie deficit, not the teeny amount burned during the exercise, but the exercise made me feel a heck of a lot better. Calorie deficit for weight loss, exercise for health.

Good luck with your journey!
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    It would be better if we could see your food diary and see exactly what you are eating. Changing your weekly loss to 1lb a week would be a good start if it's not already. Drink lots of water. Add more veggies like spinach daily. Put your baby in a stroller and walk! My daughter use to love it. Meal prep is a must and plan your day out in the morning or the day before. Make sure you are using a scale and not relying on measuring cups. I noticed a difference there. Just keep logging! You can friend me and check out my food diary if you like. I try my best.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not open so I am not going to guess as to what the issue might be. There are a lot of calorie dense, not very filling foods out there. I was 280lbs and I managed to eat a 1100 calories deficit (on average) during April and May this year. My diary is open so you can have a look at that and see if that gives you some ideas. Good luck
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could plan your day rather than to fill in the log at the end of the day. I log everything each morning that I plan to eat. the log can always be edited later if plans change.

^^^^ This ^^^^

It helps me
  • ntenaglia
    ntenaglia Posts: 2
    Options
    I used to have the same issue - portion control and feeling full. After getting married I added 25 pounds in 2 years. When my wife was pregnant I added another 25 pounds in 9 months!!

There are a million options for you out there, but here is what worked for me:
    1. Plan out your meals ahead of time. Not only does this put you on a bit of a schedule, but you also can plan exactly how many calories you will be eating.

2. Pre-cook as much stuff as possible, and portion it all out. There is nothing worse than being hungry and then having make yourself food - its just easier to order a pizza, right? Every Sunday I cook off 5 pounds of chicken breast and portion it out into 6 ounce Ziploc baggies. I know that I should only be eating 1 bag, and if I eat more than 1, then I am over-eating.

3. Eat as much fiber and vegetables as you can with every meal. Here is a great addition to any meal: 1/4 Cup cooked brown rice, 3 Cups cooked baby spinach, with 1 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar. Its 80 Cals, 12 grams of Fiber and only 1 gram of sugar. You can pair it with any meat; it good cold as a topping in a salad; you can even mix it in to some turkey chili or a meat loaf.

4. Make your food very flavorful - just because you are dieting doesn't mean you need to eat boiled chicken and steamed broccoli. Make your own salad dressings and put it on your meats and vegetables - 2 tsp Olive Oil, 4 tsp Vinegar, 1 tsp mustard, then add whatever spices Im in the mood for (Dill for French food; Rosemary and Thyme for Mediterranean; Garlic powder and curry powder for Middle Eastern, Chili Powder and Lime Juice for Mexican).
    Add roasted red peppers or caramelized onions for great flavor and good nutrients.
    Greek, Mexican, Italian and Indian spices are always good for a boost of flavor.
    When in doubt, add Lemon or Lime Juice - every week I go through 2-4 lemons and 4-6 limes. Don't forget about the Zest too.

5. Lastly, if you crave sweets, find healthy alternatives. Heres a simple one: In a bowl smash up 1/4 Cup Raspberries and 1/4 Cup Blueberries so that the juices are extruded. Mix in 1/3 Cup of Fat Free Ricotta and 2 Tbsp Fat Free Plan Greek Yogurt. Let it chill for 30 mins. Serve it topped off with 1 mint leaf minced up. Its more protein than carbs and still pretty sweet.
  • xShreddx
    xShreddx Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If your husband isn't interested in exercising, see if he can watch your baby while you work out. For me, I'd go over goal many days if it weren't for my daily exercise. Plus, after having worked out, you don't want to "waste" it by eating bad so it's a win/win situation! My advice would be to add exercise. No excuses, just start. Even if you go for a brisk walk or jog.....just get moving!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    This is something that was said to me when I used to say I wanted to lose weight - but kept a laundry list of excuses why I couldn't make it happen:

When you are ready to lose the weight and get healthy - you will.

I thought the person was just being rude and certainly not very helpful. Guess what? Turns out, they were spot on. Once I made up my mind I wanted to be healthy, I got rid of all the excuses about doing it and started making it happen.

Read this link and then set up a doable plan for yourself. Losing weight is about being in a calorie deficit. That's it. Exercise helps and certainly has wonderful benefits - but if you truly don't have the time or inclination - then don't.

Best of luck!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

I just want to add to this that weight loss doesn't have to be aggressive. And 2lbs/week may be too aggressive for your current situation. I have lost 54lbs at a rate of 3lb/mo - that's only 3/4lb per week - pretty slow by most standards. But it has been CONSISTENT and moved me from a starting weight of 232lbs to a current weight of 178ish in 18 months.

Make positive changes that you can achieve on a continual basis and you will get to your goal. But the key is willingness to make the necessary changes and consistency.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Your problem is feeling the need to feel full. It's hard, but you really have to learn to feel satisfied without feeling full.

I definitely used to eat until I was stuffed and even staying active was on a path of continual weight gain. It took time and some real willpower, but now I stop eating when I've had enough and don't keep eating until feeling full. Believe it or not, once you develop that new pattern of eating a healthy small portion and walking away, on the rare occasion that you do eat to the point of being really full, it's very uncomfortable and not pleasurable at all. I now associate being full like that with feeling sluggish and feeling weighted down with no energy.

This!! My husband and I went out for a really nice dinner while on vacation a few weeks ago. I decided to treat myself - salad bar, slice of bread, baked fish, sides, homemade ice cream. I haven't eaten that much in one sitting in a LONG time. I was so uncomfortably full that I could barely move. It was horrible and I never want to do that again!
  • goinalltheway
    goinalltheway Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have opened up my dairy for anyone who's interested in giving me a review of how to cut calories......I don't think I will stay motivated to lose weight if my goal was losing 1lb a week, I get discouraged easily if I don't see or feel a difference, its hard for me without instant gratification. I've been logging for a month now and that's an accomplishment for me. I also am trying(doing) quit smoking, I haven't smoked since July 4th. I think my smoking cravings turn into eating moments at the moment.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    this is very frustrating to me. I'm unsure how to feel full without over eating while trying to lose 2pds a week. I don't exercise, i'm trying to change my eating habits, I'm looking to lose about 76 pounds, Its also hard for me to be positive during the week for my eating habits. I drink about 8 cups of fluid a day, mostly water. What do you do to keep your calories low and feel full throughout the day??? Any advise is helpful!!!

Goin' all the way!!!:explode:

If you're "going all the way" start exercising now... not sure what your waiting for on that one...

Stop "trying" to eat healthy and just do it,..... it's like you know what you have to do but aren't willing to put in the effort yet.

it's easy to do once you have the right mindset so if anything maybe Google some healthy meal ideas and start there? Eat more meat as it will keep you feeling full for longer.

Remove this term fluids and replace it with water... what's fluids? just drink water, black coffee and green tea is fine also but no pop ... yeah none .. just don't drink it.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I have opened up my dairy for anyone who's interested in giving me a review of how to cut calories......I don't think I will stay motivated to lose weight if my goal was losing 1lb a week, I get discouraged easily if I don't see or feel a difference, its hard for me without instant gratification. I've been logging for a month now and that's an accomplishment for me. I also am trying(doing) quit smoking, I haven't smoked since July 4th. I think my smoking cravings turn into eating moments at the moment.

You are setting yourself up for disaster, you need to realize this will take time and that you will NOT see a difference for at least 3 months and that is if you put in 100% effort everyday. I'd check your diary but you seem to just want a quick fix and aren't ready to make a real change....good luck with that.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I am hoping that you will stay here on MFP, swallow the "bitter pill" of some of these frank, candid, and accurate responses and have a rockin' success story in a few months about how you are losing weight gradually, have more energy for your kids, etc. etc. etc.:smile:

I didn't start improving (and I have a long way to go as I am still technically "obese") until I started taking responsibility for myself.

It's about improving your self-discipline
    It is about holding yourself accountable
    It is about accepting the circumstances of life and working around it.

Keep pushing, Keep Striving and we will all be successful together.:drinker:
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options

Congrats on quitting smoking, but yeah, that's going to make it harder for sure.

Some thoughts:

Stop drinking your calories. Unless you really, really like milk, those are calories that don't stick with you for long. Double that for sugared soft drinks.
    Try to go bun-less on your burgers. Most buns don't stick with you and suck nutrition-wise. Maybe even have a second meat patty instead of the bun -- the fat and protein will stick with you a lot longer.
    Ditch the mayo unless you really, really like it. Very few condiments sock you with calories like mayo does.
    French fries. Again, unless you just love them, I'd go with more meat instead.
    Chicken thighs instead of breasts. Slightly higher calories, but they taste better and stick with you longer.
    Fast food. Be very, very careful there. Very few fast food choices are going to be anywhere near healthy. If you gotta eat McD's, stick to the Egg McMuffin or BIg Mac, and take a miss on the fries, hash browns, and sugared drinks.
    Quick Add: a sure sign you're eating without thinking about what you're eating. Almost always a red flag.

If I had a theme here, it would be to cut out a lot of the processed / fried carbs, and add more protein and a bit of "real" fat. They will fill you up a lot more.

Hmmm, I already feel like I'm being too hardass here, so I'll call it good. Great job being brave enough to open your diary; try not to take the comments personally.
  • viktha
    viktha Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Less processed and fast food. I know that I can eat a donut for breakfast and be starving not long after but if I have a serving of cheerios with fruit and skim milk (at less calories) I stay fuller longer.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary, there is a lot of Quick Add Calories in there which makes it difficult to offer alternative suggestions.

I don't personally have a problem with the processed food, condiments, etc. I've lost weight eating all that stuff, drinking wine pretty much every day, eating dessert several times a week.

I know you are looking for immediate gratification but it just doesn't work like that. There are many, many successful people here on MFP who have lost a lot of weight, but it took them months/years to take it off in a way that would ensure they could keep it off. There are also probably twice as many people on MFP who are looking for a quick fix and post threads just like yours, then they go away for a while, and come back a few months later, weighing more than when they left, saying, "Ready for a Fresh Start!" or "Back Again and Ready to Be Successful!"

There was a thread posted earlier today which I thought was very insightful for people who tend to be too aggressive with their goals...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1362903-1-pound-per-week-52-lbs-in-one-year?page=1#posts-20843171

You may not want to wait a year, but trust me, that year with your 18 month old is going to fly by anyway. You might as well set your mind to the fact that you can make small sustainable changes and in a year weigh 50 lbs less than you do now, or you can push too hard, not be successful, get frustrated, and ultimately give up because you think it is just too hard.
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options

Congrats on quitting smoking, but yeah, that's going to make it harder for sure.

Some thoughts:

Stop drinking your calories. Unless you really, really like milk, those are calories that don't stick with you for long.
    Try to go bun-less on your burgers. Most buns don't stick with you and suck nutrition-wise. Maybe even have a second meat patty instead of the bun -- the fat and protein will stick with you a lot longer.
    Ditch the mayo unless you really, really like it. Very few condiments sock you with calories like mayo does.
    French fries. Again, unless you just love them, I'd go with more meat instead.
    Chicken thighs instead of breasts. Slightly higher calories, but they taste better and stick with you longer.
    ^^^This. Things like 4 Tbsp of full fat dressing, mayo, full fat milk, and breads will add up in a hurry! Experiment with different spices for flavor. If you don't like fat free dressings, perhaps try mixing 1/2 ff with 1/2 regular. Try sandwich thins if you can't go bunless or if lettuce wraps don't do it for you.
    Lead with protein to feel sated. Bulk up amounts with a colorful blend of veggies...raw, grilled, steamed, roasted.
    And, don't go too long between eating.