What helps you while traveling?

I am going out of town this weekend. Traveling itself is bad enough, but I"m going back home to visit family and friends for my birthday. So that means lots of eating out. Going out to breakfast with my friend on Saturday, then out to dinner with my family on Saturday night, and I don't even know about Sunday yet.

I know WHAT foods are best to eat, but what I guess I'm looking for are trips and tricks to mentally keep me focused. It will be so easy to just order my french toast combo with bacon, eggs, and toast instead of the eggs and fruit cup! I don't even really know what I'm looking for....I guess, what helps you stay focused and on track when you're traveling?

Replies

• bbardwell0916
    bbardwell0916 Posts: 33 Member
    Write down in marker on the back of your hand why you are on your diet (your motivation) that was the only way I did it. Every time I wanted to splurge and eat what i used to, I would see the message and go, no I can't and I need to do this for....whatever your reason.

It seems weird but it worked for me, :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    It's just a weekend....in the grand scheme of things, it's pretty irrelevant. Personally, I have no issue making healthful decisions for the most part because having some scrambled eggs and a cup of fruit with a coffee is far more appetizing to me than a big huge breakfast that's going to leave me in a coma...but really, if I did choose the big waffle breakfast or whatever, in the grand scheme of things, it's pretty irrelevant over a weekend.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,321 Member
    good luck. I suck at this. all i can suggest is to work out …run or go for a long walk each day to counteract what you eat.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,866 Member
    I continue to work out while on vacation. If I don't get a gym with a hotel, the hotel can probably recommend a local gym where you can get day passes. I like to do a big cardio session in the morning while the other half sleeps in.

Remember to ask yourself, "Am I really enjoying this?". If so, continue eating. But don't just mindlessly over eat mediocre stuff because it is plentiful. I found this a useful tip for dealing with breakfast buffets in hotels.