Trail or treadmill?

Options
I started running in January and only recently started enjoying it. I run on the treadmill because I find I have a hard time keeping my pace when the treadmill isn't doing it for me, so I can't run as far and I get side stitches. On the treadmill, I feel good all the good running vibes and I love it. My boyfriend however is convinced that because I don't run outside, it's not as good. Is this true? I tell him that it makes me feel good and that's why I do it but he's steadfast in his belief that treadmill running is not real running. I do eventually want to move outdoors, but not until I'm in better shape. So it trail running really extraordinarily better than treadmill running?

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I started running in January and only recently started enjoying it. I run on the treadmill because I find I have a hard time keeping my pace when the treadmill isn't doing it for me, so I can't run as far and I get side stitches. On the treadmill, I feel good all the good running vibes and I love it. My boyfriend however is convinced that because I don't run outside, it's not as good. Is this true? I tell him that it makes me feel good and that's why I do it but he's steadfast in his belief that treadmill running is not real running. I do eventually want to move outdoors, but not until I'm in better shape. So it trail running really extraordinarily better than treadmill running?

Eh. Outside running is much more exciting, interesting, and fun than inside running on the TM that is for sure. Dont wait until you are in better shape, go outside and run now.

Running outside will have a few added benefits in your legs I believe. The TM is a softer landing and propels your legs but outside you dont have that. You have to push off when you run and that helps leg muscles. Trail running is fun, and a bit more treacherous. It also may increase your foot and leg muscles as it has to adapt to the uneven terrain.
    I wouldnt to straight from TM to the trails, but would go on the road/track/sidewalks first to get a good base and then to the trails (I am assuming they are dirt/stone trails?)
  • lemurcatta85
    Options
    Some people tend to run better on treadmills while others run better outside. I tend to be much faster outside than on a treadmill, and less likely to get hurt. For me, a 5.0 mph run on the treadmill feels like the same effort as a 6.3 mile per hour run outside. Now, running on actual TRAILS can be good for ankle strength and using other muscles that otherwise wouldn't be engaged on a treadmill. If you're interested in giving it a go, just start slowly and do what feels comfortable.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Running on a treadmill is easier - as you said in your OP, the treadmill sets your pace FOR you. :) I'd opt for a trail every time. I've always disliked the treadmill - but I'm not big on anything telling me what to do... Including the pushy treadmill, telling me how fast to run and whether or not I can slow my pace. LOL! Plus, I'm lazy. If I want to slow down or speed up, I don't want to have to push a button to do so. :)
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I always run on what I call "my" trail! No ones ever on it, it's Very Peaceful. surrounded by water, trees and through a small forest.

The downfall is I'm unable to run outside in the winter!

No matter what, keep it up!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    The treadmill is the perfect device for people wishing to devolve into a hamster.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    If you ever plan on racing, you need to learn how to pace yourself without the help of a treadmill. Depending on how you are treadmill training, trail or road running can provide a better workout due to rolling hills and such. Unless you are selecting a hill program on a treadmill, you won't get that added benefit. I agree that outdoor running can engage some of the stabilizing muscles in your ankles that running on a treadmill wouldn't normally engage.

Start out slow like sjsoffer said, take it a mile at a time and see what your pace is. If you find yourself sprinting the first mile and really dragging the second, adjust accordingly. If you have a smartphone, get a running app. If you don't, plan out a course on MapMyRun or similar sites and use different landmarks to gauge your distance, then just check your time at each of those landmarks and you can adjust on the fly.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    When I started running, I also profited from the pace given by the tread mill and the speed intervalls at the beginning. Nothing wrong with the tread. I just found it boring after a short time.

Running outside is so much more for me than just running. I live in the country and have fields and forest to run through or rivers to run along. Nature trails, gravel roads and streets. The different terrain trains more muscles than the tread. I hear the birds, see and feel the seasons intensly. Eat wild berries, drink from fountains. I have hills to run up. This trains my leg muscles, my heart and my lungs, while I'm cleansing my thoughts and my soul with the fresh air. Can you tell....I love running outside ;-)

Try to run a little slower outside. Slower than you think is good and then go from there. I was 1-2kph slower outside than on the tread at the beginning. I started out only running about 6.5kph in flat terrain outside. A year later I'm up to 10-11kph on the same route, although I never did an explicit speed or intervall training. And I've gone from 4km runs to 10km in the same 'unplanned' manner. I just ran comfortably. My comfort speed and distance just increased with time.

I have no real ambitions, not really interested in running any races. I just run for the sake of running and enjoying nature.
  • Aint_Misbehavin
    Aint_Misbehavin Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer to run on trails rather than the treadmill because I think it's more interesting and I get into a better zone. I also think I work more muscles since I'm always adjusting for the trail rather than using the same, large muscles on a flat surface. Changing the trail I use means I'm doing a different workout each time. But there are also a few hazards associated with trail running compared to a treadmill....I'm a complete klutz, I've tripped, fallen and skidded down the path on numerous occasions. People have poor trail etiquette sometimes and will spread across the trail making it difficult to pass. Some of them also assume there's some sort of dog-crap fairy that cleans up the mess that their pet left in the middle of the trail. And finally, I live in AZ and I've come around a corner going full tilt only to have to leap over a snake sunning itself while stretched across the trail.

Having said all of that, I'm currently using a treadmill because it's summertime, over 100 degrees outside, and I'm a wuss.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I only run outside and have never run on a treadmill. So, I always vote for the benefits of outside running - one of which is training yourself to listen to your body and set a pace. There are HRM's or other watches that will help you set a pace and track it, if you want to run outside and stay on a certain pace. I don't use any, but some runners wear the type that gives them "pace alerts" when they don't keep up with a desired pace.
  • laurawiggs74
    laurawiggs74 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm a big believer in finding an exercise that you enjoy, so you will more likely stick to it. You will burn more calories if you run the same distance outside, but you will burn NO calories if you don't like running outside and ultimately quit. Run on the treadmill as much as you want. I'm assuming you get a good sweat and are challenging your breathing, so guess what? EXERCISE!!

If the debate is about which is better in terms of calorie burn, that's one thing. But if the debate is which one should you do so you enjoy it and keep your body moving, then do the one you like!!
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I only run outside and have never run on a treadmill. So, I always vote for the benefits of outside running - one of which is training yourself to listen to your body and set a pace. There are HRM's or other watches that will help you set a pace and track it, if you want to run outside and stay on a certain pace. I don't use any, but some runners wear the type that gives them "pace alerts" when they don't keep up with a desired pace.
    I only use pace alerts in races or at my PT test. Great way to stay where you need to be.

Other than that.....I use my GPS watch to guage my progress in running. I may glacne down at times to see the current and avg pace but dont really fret what it says at all. I go at a pace that I feel good at THAT DAY. It changes from day to day and in the end you def see progress. Not every run, not every day or week, but you see a trend of getting a better pace.
    Plus running outside you get a better sense of accomplishment. You can vision how far you had ran across the town or city or from trail to trail.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

It depends..."not as good" or "better" or "worse" are all relative to one's goals. If your goal is truly to be a "runner" and do races, etc then you should probably get your butt outside and run because a treadmill is easier and you don't have to deal with any of the elements, changing and uneven terrain, etc. Most of the "runners" I know only train on a treadmill when they are forced indoors...usually during the winter months.

If you're really just going to be a fitness/workout runner and all you want to get in is a good workout then it really doesn't matter a whole lot. I'd say if you enjoy running on a treadmill, keep at it.
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'd say if you enjoy running on a treadmill, keep at it.

5ks, 10ks, half marathons, marathons. The common thing is that there are different inclinations, elevations, just different elements to work with besides in the same gym and same treadmill routine.

However, if training is going to work for you better on a treadmill than compared to running on the trail- train there.

Try mixing up your treadmill workouts. Do a "hill" day and add inclines.
    Do an "interval" day and go for speed and rest... speed. and rest.

The best thing you can do with yourself is stick with a fitness routine you like.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Trail. Dreadmill sucks.
  • jroe3127
    jroe3127 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I tend to run on the treadmill 2-3 times a week and hit the trails 2 times a week. If you enjoy running on the treadmill and you are getting the results you want, then keep doing it. Is trail running more challenging? Absolutely, but most treadmills allow you to adjust pace, incline, etc. A treadmill can't mimic the lateral movements and corrections you have to make with trail running, but it is exercise nonetheless.

I think you'll find that many runners really hate treadmills. Most of the people in my trail running group hate the treadmill and when conditions outside are poor, they wind up just missing a run entirely. So if you like the treadmill, you're less likely to miss a workout.

Further, when I run on the treadmill, I find that I can relax and concentrate on my effort a bit more because I'm not worried about cars zipping by me or whether or not I'm going to blow out my ankle on the next tree root.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I'm a big believer in finding an exercise that you enjoy, so you will more likely stick to it. You will burn more calories if you run the same distance outside, but you will burn NO calories if you don't like running outside and ultimately quit. Run on the treadmill as much as you want. I'm assuming you get a good sweat and are challenging your breathing, so guess what? EXERCISE!!

Do what you enjoy. But give outside running a try--you may enjoy it!
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Do what you enjoy and what you'll be consistent at sticking with.

I would recommend adding variety to keep it interesting -- mix up the road, trails, and treadmill. This will help you stick with it. I personally love trail running b/c of the scenery, quiet, hills, parkours, and in this time of the year you get shade from the heat :).

Plus, I despise running on a treadmill and would rather not be next to the farting old guy at the gym.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So it trail running really extraordinarily better than treadmill running?

Depends on what you want to get out of your running. Personally using a treadmill leaves me worried that my brain will melt and dribble out of my ears from the lack of stimulation...