User uploaded foods are incorrect, NO BODYBUILDER EDITION

Options
One of my biggest annoyances with MyFitnessPal is its not geared towards people who actually want to put on muscle. I'm really annoyed when I do a search for a particular type of food because the MACROs to the food are completely wrong. did a search for fried rice and it says it has 120 carbs for one cup, one cup would have 50 carbs max. there is something seriously wrong with how people are logging there foods.

Each time someone uploads a food they need to provide a paragraph explation as to how they got those numbers. I see tons of foods with incorrect macros and nutrition. its driving me mad. as for scanning barcodes and having the automatic food database is great and all but the searching of foods is terrible and really broken. lots of people are reinforcing foods with wonky nutrition. this needs to fixed.

Also seriously where is the BODYBUILDER EDITION OF MY FITNESS PAL.

I WANT TO PUT ON MUSCLE NOT LOSE WEIGHT..

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    where is your paragraph explanation as to why a cup of fried rice is 50g carbs?
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I would suggest uploading your own foods into the database if you have a concern that what is there is not correct.
  • Jess__I__Can
    Options
    Also, to be fair, it will NEVER be accurate for something like fried rice. You would be better off adding rice, then oil, then veggies, then meat, etc. If you are not preparing it yourself, you really have no idea what is in what you are eating.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    ive run into this too...i think some people just upload the calories and nothing else.

if you want something done right, sometimes you gotta do it yourself.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    On each food entry it asks if the data the previous person entered is correct. If you select no, it will allow you to correct it and post a statement saying what you changed and why. I have only made a few corrections in the last year, but the option is there if you wish to use it.
  • thelowcarbrecipes
    thelowcarbrecipes Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Just have to always check or upload yourself.

I usually do keto so I always have to look, you often find people just logging calories or calories/fat, as that is what they are personally tracking. Its annoying but only other thing you can do is say that the data it inaccurate on that foods nutritional info page.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I'm a bodybuilder and I do just fine finding foods on here with accurate macros. Look for ones verified by lots of users or enter your own and don't share it with the rest of the site (because we really don't need another entry).
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    On each food entry it asks if the data the previous person entered is correct. If you select no, it will allow you to correct it and post a statement saying what you changed and why. I have only made a few corrections in the last year, but the option is there if you wish to use it.

^^ This. I double-check everything before I use it. And if I'm worried about it and know how it's made, I enter a recipe for myself.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    What are you even trying to say?

Food eaten is food eaten. Doesn't get categorized as for weight loss, maintaining, or gaining. If an entry is wrong, then why don't you make your own entry with the correct nutrition #s.

And there is a Gaining section on MFP and a Fitness section as well. There is no need for a separate bodybuilder section.

You could also join or create an MFP group if you feel you must absolutely have something that says bodybuilder on whatever sub-forum you are posting in.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Also, to be fair, it will NEVER be accurate for something like fried rice. You would be better off adding rice, then oil, then veggies, then meat, etc. If you are not preparing it yourself, you really have no idea what is in what you are eating.

I spent a year as a wok cook before moving on to high tiered stuff, I can tell you that each batch of fried rice is different. I could easily see some white people fried rice hitting90g carbs per cup due to sugars. 120g though? Rage boy called that out right, that would have to be candied fied rice.
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I just had this exact issue, was looking up instant mashed potatoes and found one entry with several confirmations so I added it to my diary but upon inspection I noticed the fat was 0...uhm I just added 3 tbsp of butter so...I guess it was magic butter with no fat? I ended up putting it into the recipe builder and problem solved. /shrug yeah I know...fake potatoes..oh well :laugh:
  • ZBuffBod
    ZBuffBod Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    A pet peeve of mine too. I either correct the mistake and detail why or I create a new record. These days I mostly create my own record and add it to my database.
  • Jess__I__Can
    Options

I spent a year as a wok cook before moving on to high tiered stuff, I can tell you that each batch of fried rice is different. I could easily see some white people fried rice hitting90g carbs per cup due to sugars. 120g though? Rage boy called that out right, that would have to be candied fied rice.

I wanna try candied fried rice.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I just had this exact issue, was looking up instant mashed potatoes and found one entry with several confirmations so I added it to my diary but upon inspection I noticed the fat was 0...uhm I just added 3 tbsp of butter so...I guess it was magic butter with no fat? I ended up putting it into the recipe builder and problem solved. /shrug yeah I know...fake potatoes..oh well :laugh:

Was it just for the box of instant though? A lot of entries may not include the cals you add in for butter or milk because of the different brands and types that could be used. In that case, you can use the recipe builder to figure out and add to your diary.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

did you log as prepared?

some dried food like that will give 2 values...one for as packaged, one for as prepared.

ETA: the point is, the flakes dont have any fat. you added it.
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    yes I realize that and the entry was for the prepared version so i assumed it was correct...well we all know what happens when one assumes! LOL. but noted, yes take a second to really look at the label and double check for "as packaged" vs. "prepared".
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    There is a buttload of users on this site, and you really can't control what entries people make, even if those entries are just plain absurd (and many of them are). Just double check things you aren't sure about, or look up the foods you eat often and save them in your personal foods. I have this issue sometimes as well. I want to know all of the correct macros in addition to calories.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    You mean to tell me this site isnt tailored specifically to me and my goals and food cooked in my kitchen??
    That it contains as much varying information as the people who use it!?!
    Oh my gawd!!
    Thanks for the heads up, now I know the world doesnt revolve around me, I guess I'll use what I need and create what I can't.
    Phew, disaster avoided :noway: