Green zuccinni needs your recipe help! :)

Options
2»

Replies

• aimeemarie150
    aimeemarie150 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    According to my calculations the calorie count on this is incorrect.

1 cup of flour is about 455 calories.
    1 cup of vegetable oil is 1920 (120 calories a tbsp)
    1 cup of sugar is 773 calories
    which alone is 3989.5 / 24 = 166 calories per cupcake plus all the other ingredients.
    Zucchini Cupcakes

2 cups flour
    2 teaspoons cinnamon (can sub 1 teaspoon with other spices such as allspice and nutmeg, go easy on the cloves though)
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon baking powder
    3 eggs
    1.5 cup white, granulated sugar
    1 cup vegetable oil
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon grated lemon zest (optional, my addition)
    2 cups (from about 3-4 regular sized zucchini) grated un-peeled zucchini (place grated zucchini in a sieve and press out some of the excess moisture before measuring)
    1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (my grandmother recommends black walnuts)
    1/2 cup golden raisins (optional)

Makes 24 cupcakes
    Bake at 350 for 17-18 minutes
    Power Sugar sifted lightly on each
    182 calories each

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.

In a mixer, beat the 3 eggs on high speed until frothy. Lower the speed and beat in the sugar, vegetable oil, vanilla, and lemon zest (if using). Stir in the flour mixture, a third at a time. Stir in the zucchini and chopped nuts and/or raisins.

Fill cupcake tins and bake

********I substituted Extra Virgin Olive Oil*********
    ********I skip the lemon zest, nuts and raisins******* By doing so it lowered the calorie intake
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,637 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/07/zucchini-tots.html

Other than the zucchini tots recipe above, I cook them pretty simply. Slice into 1 cm rounds, and brush or spray with some olive oil and grill on the BBQ or a cast iron griddle pan. If you don't want to add any extra oil, slice into 2 inch rounds and boil in salted water with a few crushed garlic cloves.
  • amelia651
    amelia651 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I take one good sized zucchini, slice it into thin (think 1/8-1/4 inch) coins, lay them out on a cookie sheet, brush with 2 tsp. of olive oil and sprinkle with 1/8 of a cup of seasoned breadcrumbs, just a little pinch on each, if you are feeling extra decedent you can sprinkle them with a "tiny" (measure it, I am talking less then a tbsp. of freshly grated fluffy cheese) little bit of grated parmesan cheese. Bake at 400 for about 10-15 minutes, they may have to be rotated., they will be golden brown and pretty crispy. This makes 2 servings or one Giant serving to serve along side fish, shrimp or chicken. You can even dip them in a little but of tomato sauce, they taste like a mix of potato chips and deep fried zucchini. Yummy...... even my husband will eat them. :) They are on my menu for tomorrow night :)
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    http://ohsheglows.com/2013/07/01/rad-rainbow-raw-pad-thai/

his is a huge batch (4+ dozen muffins) so you can half it and they freeze well. It's a good recipe to change things in and it's always been light and fluffy. Many people like to cut the sugar.

Kitchen Sink Zucchini Muffins
    Preheat oven to 325
    Dry Ingredients:
    4.5 cups flour (can replace with half whole wheat)
    2.5 cups sugar
    1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
    1 Tablespoon Baking soda
    1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
    1.5 teaspoon salt
    1 cup Veggie oil (can replace with Olive Oil, applesauce)
    1 cup mashed bananas
    6 eggs
    3 cups shredded zucchini
    1 20 ounce can CRUSHED pineapple (juice drained)
    1 Tablespoon Vanilla

In large bowl combine dry ingredients. Make a well in the center and pour in oil, eggs, zucchini, pineapple and vanilla (I think it’s helpful to slightly mix the wet ingredients)

Bake in muffins tins (with cups) for 20 to 25 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.

Note: Shredded zuchinni has a lot of moisture. I use a kitchen towel to get as much out as possible,
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Layered Zucchini - It's like lasagna, w/the zucchini in place of the noodles. http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/layered-zucchini-10000000521616/

I think I just figured out what I am doing with mine! :D
  • derrickyoung
    derrickyoung Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    zucchini Chips.

The recipe was on MFP facebook page i think.

Basically slice very thing, spritz with light olive oil, season and bake till crispy.

I made them last night with garlic powder and a touch of salt and pepper. They were awesome
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    Quick casserole...In microwave safe bowl, mix 4 ounces shredded zucchini, 1 shredded carrot, 4 ounces chopped tomato, 1/4 cup quina flakes (oats work too), 1 tbs grated parm cheese, dash of salt and pepper. Microwave on high for 4 minutes.
  • frangrann
    frangrann Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Just made Baked zucchini fries from ccoks.com tonight. I substituted EVOO for the butter.
    Big hit!
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,203 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste has a ton of zucchini recipes. Here's 35 of them.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2014/07/35-skinny-zucchini-recipes.html
  • Lelah77
    Lelah77 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You got some great suggestions already, but I use zucchini in lots of stuff to bulk it up and cut the fat. For instance, this week we got a few so I shredded one and added to our veggie crumbles, tomato sauce, & beans to make a really tasty veggie chili.
    I also like to make turkey burgers with shredded zucchini. It makes them filling and adds to the mass. They come out super moist, too.
    I have been known to take a few zucchini and use them in meatloaf, too. Again, it makes it moist and takes up some serious space, thus cutting the overall calories.
    Lastly, I cut them lengthwise & use a spoon to carve out the seeds & guts leaving a trough behind. I take the innards & add an egg, and a variety of other minced veggies (kale, tomato, carrot - whatever!), a bit of olive oil & some bread crumbs. Then I roast it in the oven or on the grill. I sprinkle the hot product with a bit of parmesan right before serving. SO GOOD!
  • zahid222
    zahid222 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Good lord I'd kill for some organic zucchini from a friend's garden!! I love love love this:

1.) Spiralize or julienne the zucchini into noodle shapes.

2.) Take an avocado, as much as your caloric allotment will allow. Mash that sucker. Really, get your aggressions out. Curse at it, if you want. Unless you want your 'sauce' to be chunky, then go a little easier on it.

3.) Extra flare. I usually make one of two variations, but you can get creative with it. Hot sauce is great with everything. I like Frank's.
    ---Italian: Add fresh or dried italian herbs, I go extra heavy on the basil. Love basil. Lots of garlic is where it's at. Salt and pepper to taste. Bellissimo. (sp?)
    ---Asian flare: I put a splat of Tamari (any soy sauce will do) in there, a little rice vinegar, some garlic powder, deliciousness. Very salty though. Sesame seeds are optional as well.

4.) Optional: Thin out the sauce with a little water. I like this because you get more volume for the same calories. Plus, depending on the ripeness of your avo, you might need to do this to get it into sauce-like consistency, anyways.

5.)Now, take that creamy delicious sauce and smother your zucchini noodles. So delicious. Very low calorie. Enjoy!

Do you have to cook the zucchini noodles?
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    I eat mine all the time just plain i guess. Saute with a tsp canola oil and sprinkle a little grated parm on top :)
  • bcanderson123456
    bcanderson123456 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    This recipe works with both yellow or zuccinni that have gotten a little big for sauteing. It makes a nice size serving with great nutrition numbers.

http://www.ahl4u.com/squash-souffle.html
  • mrogers52
    mrogers52 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Yum!:smile:
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    If they are huge, peel them, cut them in half, and scoop out the big seeds. A little oil and grill them on skewers or in tin foil or roast them in the oven and put a little grated cheese on them after you flip them about five minutes before you take them out, or buy that thing that you use to make pasta noodles out of the zucchini (buy at Walmart or Bed Bath and Beyond) and boil, put spag sauce on top.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    slice (and halve if necessary.)

saute with onions and garlic in olive oil.

add one can El Pato chile. (https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgEM9WJUbkjKu-2BR51gXy-lZjvejer3wZsGnKbF6isLHHo28peg)

OPTIONAL top with monterey jack cheese.

Cover and simmer.

Serve with rice or tortillas.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Or slice thin and use as lasagna noodles.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I threw some in my grill pan with a smidge of olive oil, sea salt, pepper and steak seasoning. Yesterday, I made zucchini pumpkin muffins - though not the easiest on the calories.

We are growing these in our garden and will soon be at the point where we have a zucchini a day! You can also turn them into pasta = either like noodles for spaghetti or lasagna (though I've done neither).

I love haunting AllRecipes.com for ideas.