User uploaded foods are incorrect, NO BODYBUILDER EDITION

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    What are you even trying to say?

Food eaten is food eaten. Doesn't get categorized as for weight loss, maintaining, or gaining. If an entry is wrong, then why don't you make your own entry with the correct nutrition #s.

And there is a Gaining section on MFP and a Fitness section as well. There is no need for a separate bodybuilder section.

You could also join or create an MFP group if you feel you must absolutely have something that says bodybuilder on whatever sub-forum you are posting in.

Idk gaining weight and gaining muscle is not the same things. if you address the need as gaining weight the default macros they set you up with are not even close to what you need. It would just be better if mfitnesspal was optimized to have a more accurate calorie calc based on fitness levels. Kind of like scoobies fitness calculator.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

This is my fitness pal we are talking about here, what scooby uses is already considered old.

- You can change the macros - the default for which are not ideal for many people, irrespective of whether you are trying to lose weight or gain muscle

- Just with scooby - MFP is an estimator and is only as good as the inputs and the calculations behind those being applicable to an individual

- Pick the entry without an asterisk or create your own.
  • sergeysmolentsev
    Options
    1. Create your own entries.
    2. Judging by your diary, you aren't even tracking accurately anyway. 1 serving Fried Rice, like wat? Macros will vary.

Agreed. If you want it done right, do it yourself. Log all ingredients, double check. Triple check. Use the "recipes" section, often. Don't trust the system, it's more like guidelines, and we all see that "I'm logging perfectly and not losing weight halp" post every week and confirm that the information is not 100% spot on here, and it's better to err on the side of caution or log raw ingredients that you cook into a homemade meal.

its good advice and I agree. I just wish more people didn't get screwed. no what i mean? they are just starting out they need all the help they can get.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    2. Judging by your diary, you aren't even tracking accurately anyway. 1 serving Fried Rice, like wat? Macros will vary.

Agreed. If you want it done right, do it yourself. Log all ingredients, double check. Triple check. Use the "recipes" section, often. Don't trust the system, it's more like guidelines, and we all see that "I'm logging perfectly and not losing weight halp" post every week and confirm that the information is not 100% spot on here, and it's better to err on the side of caution or log raw ingredients that you cook into a homemade meal.

its good advice and I agree. I just wish more people didn't get screwed. no what i mean? they are just starting out they need all the help they can get.

Perhaps they are more wise than you and understand that they should check a user submitted entry.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I'm a bodybuilder and I do just fine finding foods on here with accurate macros. Look for ones verified by lots of users or enter your own and don't share it with the rest of the site (because we really don't need another entry).

I don't share my own food or recipes with this site; however, I noticed that many of my personal entries are now part of the MFP database and I have no idea how they got there.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Fried rice doesn't just contain rice, you dunce.

even if the rice contained other ingredients it would never add up to 120 carbs per cup thats absurd.

a cup of white rice, medium grain, is like 45 or 50g carbs (I can't remember exactly) but unless you were adding straight sugar to it, you aren't going to that up to over 100g of carbs. If you add veggies, you push out rice from that serving size. I would say a cup of fried rice would contain no more than 60g of carbs.

that being said I don't count carbs so it's never bothered me.
  • sergeysmolentsev
    Options

Perhaps they are more wise than you and understand that they should check a user submitted entry.
    [/quote

don't pull that wisdom bs. there are people verifying incorrect macros all over the place.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

don't pull that wisdom bs. there are people verifying incorrect macros all over the place.

Based on your posts it is not surprising that you think wisdom is bs. I've seen none in your diatribes.
  • addicted2cola
    addicted2cola Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I just had this exact issue, was looking up instant mashed potatoes and found one entry with several confirmations so I added it to my diary but upon inspection I noticed the fat was 0...uhm I just added 3 tbsp of butter so...I guess it was magic butter with no fat? I ended up putting it into the recipe builder and problem solved. /shrug yeah I know...fake potatoes..oh well :laugh:

Hah! I had something like this happen when entering a 6 inch Subway pizza sub. When I looked at my fat for the day, it was WAAAAAAAAAY over. Turns out that whoever had entered the sub, while putting everything else correct according to the website, as having 180g fat, which was way off. I ended up picking another entry out of the multitude that were there.
  • sergeysmolentsev
    Options

[/quote

Based on your posts it is not surprising that you think wisdom is bs. I've seen none in your diatribes.

1000+ posts and you can't add anything to the convos except that I lack wisdom. thanks for the protip.
  • sergeysmolentsev
    Options
    I just had this exact issue, was looking up instant mashed potatoes and found one entry with several confirmations so I added it to my diary but upon inspection I noticed the fat was 0...uhm I just added 3 tbsp of butter so...I guess it was magic butter with no fat? I ended up putting it into the recipe builder and problem solved. /shrug yeah I know...fake potatoes..oh well :laugh:

Hah! I had something like this happen when entering a 6 inch Subway pizza sub. When I looked at my fat for the day, it was WAAAAAAAAAY over. Turns out that whoever had entered the sub, while putting everything else correct according to the website, as having 180g fat, which was way off. I ended up picking another entry out of the multitude that were there.

this is a good example of what I'm talking about. this kind of stuff is all over the place needs to be cleaned up. gonna see if I can contact design team for improvements or request for more mods lurking and checking the foods.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

1000+ posts and you can't add anything to the convos except that I lack wisdom. thanks for the protip.

I could add a lot but I doubt you'd understand since simple verification of a database entry is too much for you by your own admission. I could recommend using bodybuilding.com's food database but it is nowhere near as diverse or complete as MFP's.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    post-14956-WHY-MUST-LIFE-BE-SO-HARD-Homer-sDyY.gif
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    After using the site for a while, i sort of get the hang of what food might contain what ratios of macros. So i just go with it. If nothing matches, i make my own recipes using recipe builder. Simple. I am trying to lose weight, so i dont know what body builder edition u r talking about
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=Logging+accurately

I will just leave ths here...

As well if you uncheck "yes add to MFP database" it automatically checks it when you click save...bugs the crap outta me.

My fav "wrong" entry was the chicken leg with 98grams of protien...or the 6 oz steak with 120grams...

To the OP...always check the nutritional value of the entries, if it's wrong don't confirm it....if it is correct confirm it...

Never look for "mixed" food and expect to get correct macros, that is what the recipe builder is for....
  • LissaDebo
    LissaDebo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how to correct food, but I was trying to figure out why my sugar intake on a couple days was so high, and it was because someone logged steamed broccoli with 220 grams of sugar.
  • sergeysmolentsev
    Options
    I see that the verification system does not clean up everything like it should, and the generic food item that god knows who added should be deleted because they cannot be used by virtually anyone or at least shouldn't be used because if they are they are flat out wrong. I understand that mfp has error correcting mechanisms but there based on people and people have reinforced some pretty bad items on there. I guess we can leave it at that if you happen to be experienced enough you shouldn't run into problems.

but may I pose a question?

what about the inexperienced and how long will it take them to learn these things? a week? a month? they could be over stepping there normal calorie goal or under eating. I guess I care too much. must be the personal trainer within me.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    One of my biggest annoyances with MyFitnessPal is its not geared towards people who actually want to put on muscle. I'm really annoyed when I do a search for a particular type of food because the MACROs to the food are completely wrong. did a search for fried rice and it says it has 120 carbs for one cup, one cup would have 50 carbs max. there is something seriously wrong with how people are logging there foods.

Each time someone uploads a food they need to provide a paragraph explation as to how they got those numbers. I see tons of foods with incorrect macros and nutrition. its driving me mad. as for scanning barcodes and having the automatic food database is great and all but the searching of foods is terrible and really broken. lots of people are reinforcing foods with wonky nutrition. this needs to fixed.

Also seriously where is the BODYBUILDER EDITION OF MY FITNESS PAL.

I WANT TO PUT ON MUSCLE NOT LOSE WEIGHT..

Maybe you did't know that this is a weight loss site?

I agree with the unevenness of the food reporting. If I can't find something that seems reasonable (both exercise and food) I usuallly search for it on google and then use what I find. I have a bunch of exercise calculators and use an HRM for measuring my cardio. Most places that post calories burned use an average body weight of 150 lb, so at 123, I have to work out the burn for myself.

And there is tons of info on nutrition, if you do a quick search.If someone adds a food to the database that's incorrect, I think it's up to me to not use it if I know better. I have no opinion about some idiot who is kidding themselves. ;-)
  • sergeysmolentsev
    Options
    I'm not sure how to correct food, but I was trying to figure out why my sugar intake on a couple days was so high, and it was because someone logged steamed broccoli with 220 grams of sugar.

this is exactly the kind of stuff I'm talking about. some of you may view it as a nuisance or just something you have to deal with momentarily.

Image how much time was wasted not by just a few of us but thousands of people. than image those that arent so educated. this is causing some trouble for people when it doesn't have to.

there just should be general macros that mfp uses that are accurate and if somehow someone tried to upload incorrect amounts the system should reflect in its own values to see if the macros are wrong.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I see that the verification system does not clean up everything like it should, and the generic food item that god knows who added should be deleted because they cannot be used by virtually anyone or at least shouldn't be used because if they are they are flat out wrong. I understand that mfp has error correcting mechanisms but there based on people and people have reinforced some pretty bad items on there. I guess we can leave it at that if you happen to be experienced enough you shouldn't run into problems.

but may I pose a question?

what about the inexperienced and how long will it take them to learn these things? a week? a month? they could be over stepping there normal calorie goal or under eating. I guess I care too much. must be the personal trainer within me.

It didn't take me long at all as a new user to figure it out. But I'm special like that.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Double post.

I can't figure out how to post correctly. Still managed to figure out logging food correctly. Go figure.