How do I get started on strength training?

Options
Everytime I start a workout program I get discouraged by the strength training portions. Like the most recent thing I tried was Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred but I can't even do the pushups so I tend to give up and not even try. I can muster a few pushups on my knees until they start to get sore and I quit that also. I know I need to put on muscle because I weigh 122 but I look a lot fatter than that because I'm very petite and every extra pound must be fat.

So I guess my question is what are some ways that I could build up to these exercises? Do 8lb dumbbells work for anything? I'm seriously a beginner when it comes to my muscles. The only lifting I do is carrying around my 20 lb cat.

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    are you using a gym or at home?

for pushups a better progression is to start at an incline in gradually work your way down. for instance you could start against the wall, then against a counter, then a step then the floor

just stick with it. the only you get better and stronger is to strengthen the muscle and the only way to do that is to consistently work the muscle
  • kittyfarmer1988
    Options
    At home. Unfortunately I just don't have enough room in my budget for a gym membership.

Thank you for the advice! I'll start against a wall for my next workout tomorrow and try to stick with it until I can move on to something more difficult for me.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    you can check out online resources like bodyrock, zwow for home strength training workouts.

there's also you are your own gym which is a book on bodyweight strength training
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    It's pretty easy to start push-ups at home. You don't need anything but your own body. I still have trouble getting all the way down because I don't have the strength to get back up. ;-) However, recently I've been getting a bit lower than before and I am doing them full out rather than on my knees. It just takes time. I do it in a class though because I find the social aspect helpful. If you want some company at home you might try a site like FitnessBlender or the Daily Grind. I use those occasionally.

Other stuff is progressive. Go to Modells or any sporting goods store and pick up a set of light weights. I got some when I was in physical therapy for a torn rotator cuff and had to start over. I had 1 & two pounds that I combined when I got to three pounds. Then I got two 4 pounders and added 1 or two pounds to increase. I'm up to 10 pounds at this point. It might not sound like a big deal to "real" weight liftrs, but I have muscle definition and have lowered my body fat to under 20%, which is considered athletic level rather than average, so I'm pretty happy with my progress.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    here ya go
    http://neilarey.com/workouts.html
    a whole bunch of no-equipment workouts :)

btw, you can strengthen your legs by sitting in a chair and standing up (using no hands if you can) for say 12 reps, stopping for a break, then doing it again. if it's easy, you can do it more - or grab a gallon of water (8 pounds) or half gallon of milk and do it with that in your hands. you can also strengthen your calves by standing, going up on your toes and coming back down for 15 reps, then repeat after a break. if it's too easy, try that gallon of milk or water or even two if you like - calves are very strong muscles.
  • bobbinalong
    bobbinalong Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    The only lifting I do is carrying around my 20 lb cat.
    hahaha! If your cat will let you do 3 sets of 15, you will be well on your way! I agree with the great advice above, keep at it, every little bit works and make it count!
  • asianrunner
    asianrunner Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I agree with trying to do push ups at an incline if knees are too hard. You don't need to use dumbbells if just your bodyweight is enough resistance!
  • scrounger888
    scrounger888 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You don't have to start heavy, not at all. Lifting ANYTHING, cats, soup cans, water bottles, even just your purse for 10-12 reps helps. Many women's purses weigh more than a small dumbbell and they carry it around all the time, so you're stronger than you think already.

As a female, you may find the full push-up harder, especially at first, because of a different centre of gravity. I know I do. Try a few extra core exercises as a stronger back and abs will help you too.

There's never anything wrong with using lighter weights if that is where you're at! You'll get stronger as you go. Even those super-lifters started somewhere.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    You could use your cat and do a few sets.....just kidding!
    Have you ever tried any kettlebell routines? Walmart sells kettlebells for around $13 and there's many free routines on YouTube. I love kettlebells because you don't need much space.