Cheat/ More Relaxed day

I am curious as to what your opinions of a cheat/ more relaxed day are.

I am also 20 years old and in college, so I still want to be able to eat certain things without feeling super guilty... so does age make a difference for this as well?

Thanks

Replies

• btc1987
    btc1987 Posts: 94 Member
    No, age does not make a difference.

I recommend not thinking of anything as a cheat meal or day. Log everything you eat and try to stay under your calorie goal.
  • kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    The question about the age is both yes and no. In my 20s I could eat pretty much whatever I wanted as long as I chased it with a run, and that worked for me right about up to my late 30s.
    You are fortunate/lucky that you are thinking about how this all works in your youth; I wish I had done some things differently. I feel like the learning curve is huge and I learned so much from researching this site and a few others.
    I personally just don't do cheat days, bc it doesn't work for me, but if I know I am going to be eating out in advance I will bank calories, so that I can eat comfortably without stressing about going too much over my allowances for the day. For me getting to "cheat" a little here and there as long as it fits into my macros works better for me and my lifestyle, but I'm sure others will chime in and offer you some differing opinions and you have to ultimately do what works best for you.
  • AceCC86
    AceCC86 Posts: 71
    I don't have a set "cheat day." Knowing me it'll just turn into a huge binge day and I'd rather just stay the course as much as I can. I do think it's important to not beat yourself up if you end up going over your calories a little.
  • ASH2038602
    ASH2038602 Posts: 215 Member
    I eat what I want as long as I have the calories for it. I try to do small things to cut the calories too. Today for instance, my boyfriend and son wanted burgers for lunch so I allowed myself one without cheese and wrapped in lettuce rather than having a bun. You have to figure out what works for your body.
  • AvonBell
    AvonBell Posts: 107 Member
    A cheat day is a common approach but I don't like it. Are you going to eat a restrictive diet with one cheat day per week for the rest of your life? I wouldn't bet on it.

It's important to be flexible with food. A restrictive diet cannot be sustained for your entire life. You may lose weight but eventually you'll let your guard down and revert to old habits and gain it all back (or more). Generally aim for a balanced diet of whole grains, protein, fat, and fruits and vegetables but if you crave fast food or candy please indulge. Log it and move on. If there are days you go over your caloric allotment, don't worry about. Some days you won't even log food, you'll may forget or miss something. That's fine. Just move on. As long as your norm is keeping track of your food and staying within your allotment, you will lose weight overtime.
  • ddkphotos
    ddkphotos Posts: 304 Member
    I agree... I don't have cheat days because if I really want something I have it... Like chocolate... Have some every day... Less than I used to and the 70% kind now but I log it all and try as much as possible to be as close to my goal as I can... If you know in advance you are going out than getting in more exercise earlier in the day can help.. Try to keep portions smaller or share with a friend . You shouldn't feel guilty about food. It is one of life's pleasures and our body's fuel... Just try to make healthier choices most of the time... I love how every day on mfp we get to start with a clean slate... And yes. I want to say younger bodies are more forgiving than older ones...
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    I don't have a set cheat day, but I just know that when I go out to dinner with my friends I'm going to go over. I just try to make the healthiest choices I can and not go over my tdee on those days.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I don't tend to think of overindulging or eating certain foods or whatever as "cheating"....IMHO, this term and this mentality at best suggests a lack of ability to view your diet (noun) on the whole and see the bigger picture...at worst, it indicates at least some minor disordered thinking and a crummy relationship with food.

I live a very healthful lifestyle...I am very conscious of what I eat both in terms of quality and quantity and I'm also very active. That said, I eat "treats" and things that many people would think as "bad" on a fairly regular basis, but as a whole, they do not make up the bulk of my diet (noun). I also occasionally overindulge...that's life...when I was fat, I didn't get that way because I over indulged on a Saturday evening BBQ or a holiday or a birthday indulgence...I got fat because I overindulged regularly and treated every day like an "occasion".

Being able to take a step back and see your diet as a whole and look at the bigger picture will help eliminate these feelings of guilt. Food shouldn't make you feel guilty...if it does, then there's something wrong that IMHO, goes deeper.
  • blue696
    blue696 Posts: 94 Member
    Thanks guys!

So I keep shabbat (25 hour rest day from Friday night to Saturday) and I usually am more lenient on that day. I try to make some healthier days, but especially now I feel like I need to have a day where I can be more relaxed it also helps me look forward too it. I also usually go away so I dont know what I am going to eat. Do you think I should bring some food with me so I am not tempted by everything?
  • losingdays
    losingdays Posts: 19 Member
    I don't really do the cheat day thing but if i feel like i want to eat a certain thing i'll shuffle my daily intake/meals around it so that i can. Denying yourself things is miserable and not necessary! And then just try be a little more active on the days I don't eat as healthy as usual :)
  • losingdays
    losingdays Posts: 19 Member
    Also i've found it really dangerous/damaging to deem certain foods and drinks as 'bad' or otherwise chastise yourself for having them, you just have to be sensible and not make them an every day indulgence!