Need motivation and ideas

Options
I am a 27 year old 5'7 240 pound teacher. I am looking for motivation and ideas on how to reach my goal weight of 160 pounds. I need budget friendly ideas and I would also love to talk to people who have lost this amount of weight for motivation. I want to be healthy. I have always been overweight and I have tried who knows how many times to lose weight but it was always for the wrong reasons. I always wanted to be the skinny pretty girl to get a guy or to look good in clothes. I currently have the most amazing boyfriend and he loves me just the way I am so the reason has changed to wanting to be healthy for him and for our future. I also work with children everyday and I don't feel like I am a very good example of a healthy lifestyle to them. I hope that someone can relate and help me with some great ideas and motivation. HELP! :ohwell:

Replies

• thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    You can do this. My wife lost 80 and I lost 107.....25 to go for me. Add me and I'll encourage you!
  • eyeliketurtles
    eyeliketurtles Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I can relate to almost everything in your post (down to the supportive boyfriend who loves me the way I am to working with little kids)- something that has helped me in the past is eating bento box style lunches that I bring to work! Instead of bringing a sandwich and a piece of fruit or a salad or something, I bring small portions of a lot of things. Some berries, some cut up peppers, some hummus, maybe granola with yogurt or half an avocado or a hard boiled egg! I like this for a lot of reasons- I can still eat some "unhealthy" things sometimes because everything is in small portions. If I really really am craving sugar, I can pack an Oreo and it will prevent me from binge eating later on in the day/week. If I really want Mac and cheese, I just pack a small amount. This way I don't feel deprived because I'm still eating what I want, it's just a small portion of the meal. If I want a sandwich, I'll bring half and then a bunch of healthy sides to go with it. I also like this approach because I'm really big on snacking and this kind if makes me feel like I'm snacking. My lunches also have a lot of variety to them and I don't get bored.

I bought some bento box style Tupperware on Amazon so my lunch containers are already divided up. I don't know if this sounds appealing at all to you but it has allowed me to keep some sanity while still eating well within a calorie goal! Good luck and feel free to add me- I need some buddies to keep me motivated and accountable.
  • kms2072
    kms2072 Posts: 55
    Options
    You can do this. My wife lost 80 and I lost 107.....25 to go for me. Add me and I'll encourage you!

Wow! That is awesome! I'm trying to lose 50 pounds. I lose 3 and I gain it back, lose 10, and gain it back. Been on MFP for a few months now. Would love any encouragement or ideas you may have to offer.
  • KeishaGettinFit
    Options
    I can relate to almost everything in your post (down to the supportive boyfriend who loves me the way I am to working with little kids)- something that has helped me in the past is eating bento box style lunches that I bring to work! Instead of bringing a sandwich and a piece of fruit or a salad or something, I bring small portions of a lot of things. Some berries, some cut up peppers, some hummus, maybe granola with yogurt or half an avocado or a hard boiled egg! I like this for a lot of reasons- I can still eat some "unhealthy" things sometimes because everything is in small portions. If I really really am craving sugar, I can pack an Oreo and it will prevent me from binge eating later on in the day/week. If I really want Mac and cheese, I just pack a small amount. This way I don't feel deprived because I'm still eating what I want, it's just a small portion of the meal. If I want a sandwich, I'll bring half and then a bunch of healthy sides to go with it. I also like this approach because I'm really big on snacking and this kind if makes me feel like I'm snacking. My lunches also have a lot of variety to them and I don't get bored.

I bought some bento box style Tupperware on Amazon so my lunch containers are already divided up. I don't know if this sounds appealing at all to you but it has allowed me to keep some sanity while still eating well within a calorie goal! Good luck and feel free to add me- I need some buddies to keep me motivated and

Great advise!!!! ;)
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

You're a teacher, so maybe you can mentally take this on like you were teaching the kids. How do you keep them motivated in the classroom? What does it take to keep you motivated.

Picture that healthy life with your boyfriend. Picture those kids looking up to you. Write down your feelings.

Then on the bad days (there will be bad days, we all have them) Look back at that WHY and keep on going. We all fail when learning, just like your kids. You will find what works for you, and keep going.

It will be great for YOU and you will Feel better when you succeed.

:)

Feel free to add me if you'd like.

Nancy
  • Luckee_me
    Luckee_me Posts: 1,426 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    You can do this.
    Just do the best you can everyday and be nice to yourself if you slip up.
    Good luck to you.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Approach you weightloss as a project. And also do it for life. Decide to change the way you eat and engage with food. Design your own program but build it up from good ideas and things you find elsewhere e.g. books, forums and what you like yourself. I've been losing weight for six months. I'm near my goal but don't have to get there until the end of the year. I'm not in any particularly hurry as i'm happy with how i am now.

There is a great deal of advice i can offer you but i find it awkward here and i've already written my tips so many times.

Make time for your project every day in terms of thinking about what you are doing, analysing it and your style a bit. It will develop as you go along.

The main things that have worked for me so far:
    1. exercise only when you feel like it. weightloss = 80% diet, 20% exercise. Its true! Many good arguments out there for this approach.
    2. I quit sugar because its my weakness. I can have it on special low risk situations which i worked out for myself. So i've had cake only 5 of 6 times this whole year, no chocolate, no ice-cream etc. I like wine so i drink that but no in excess.
    3. Retain the things that are important to you but limit your damaging things.
    4. Never binge. Figure out ways to avoid it. Maybe read mind over binge if you are prone.
    5. You cannot cheat and get slack and stop caring. You always have to care even when you eat something high calorie. It has to be part of your rules. Cheating undermines your resolve and makes a lot of people feel guilty and and generally weakens them so don't do it. If you want to eat high calorie foods include them in your rations and rules.
    6. Food Diary.
    7. Manage stress. Find ways to alleviate it asap even if it means going to a councillor. Stress is possibly one of the highest reasons for diet failure. I go to counselling and it has got me through several rough spots this year with no failures.
    8. Cultivate your resolve, your confidence and your belief in your program.
    9. Make time for cooking shopping and food preparation. Love your food. Eat food you love and which is also healthy. Make it delicious but not unhealthy. If you don't like healthy food, learn how to do it.
    A new one i read about recently but i think it would work. Do not eat more than 6tsp of sugar per day. That goes for food from any source including processed foods.
  • gnzlsg
    gnzlsg Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Netflix and Hulu have free workout videos. If you buy a small dumbbell set U can really go to town...Just takes effort and the desire to want to change.
  • watch_me_shinexo
    Options
    Hi there! Your story sounds a lot like mine.....I found my motivation after seeing an awful looking picture of myself back in January. Ever since then, I began my weight loss journey. I started out working out with Wii Fit U and that helped me a lot!! The game had yoga and strength training exercises and so much more, it almost didn't even feel like a workout. Once the weather got warmer I started walking 3-5 miles, hiking, and using a treadmill and elliptical. The first 40lbs seemed to come off pretty easily! Now for motivation, I follow others on Instagram who are on the same path I am. We all post before and after pictures and it's very motivating for me. I also go on Pinterest and look up fitness related motivation and theres a TON of stuff to help keep you motivated. Once you get going, it becomes your normal and almost like an addiction. If I have a day where I am just not feeling like doing anything, I get myself dressed in workout clothes and that's half the battle. If I'm dressed, I workout. If you need any help with anything let me know! Feel free to add me if you'd like :) you can do it! Just imagine yourself a year from now and keep pushing yourself!
  • Dmeg85
    Dmeg85 Posts: 10
    Options
    Feel free to add me :)