Quackery, pseudoscience, and just generally bad information.

Options

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I disagree with coloring all concepts black. It might be true.. Microwaves for example. Just common sense: think that everything has electrons moving around protons and you hit them . It may be changed. Do we have enough methods to detect? Most likely not . We even don't know what property to look for . The fact is we don't know. Time will show?

Or it's just completely nuts as the article points out.
  • Synchronicity
    Synchronicity Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    I've always been fond of http://www.weightymatters.ca/
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump for later!
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I disagree with coloring all concepts black. It might be true.. Microwaves for example. Just common sense: think that everything has electrons moving around protons and you hit them . It may be changed. Do we have enough methods to detect? Most likely not . We even don't know what property to look for . The fact is we don't know. Time will show?

So wait...? It's common sense that microwaves are radioactive death boxes that mutate our food into poison?

Mind blown.

mindblown-o.gif
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion but you'd have to be pretty thick in the head not to realize Dr Oz (or the Doctors show for that matter) is a load of ****. His opinion flip flops every episode depending on the amount of money he can make. One week he'll have a paleo guest and its the "best diet for humans" then he'll have a vegan on and say the same thing. One week mango is the miracle for weight loss the next week its green tea and then reaspberry ketones.
    You know by those standards we should be a right bunch of stick thin folks. -_-

Same thing with the doctors. They find semi-rare situation or over hyped news headlines and SCARE the public into thinking they have **** wrong with them. Every couple days they have miracle cures for weight loss, getting rid of wrinkles, and they all seem to have books on perfect guides to weight loss.

These shows can be fun to watch when my other alternative is watching the grass grow but seriously folks if it sounds too good to be true, IT ISN'T

=_=
  • pipertargaryen
    pipertargaryen Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Bump for bookmarking justice. And I'm kind of surprised the 'Wellness Warrior' wasn't on the list, but then that gives me hope that maybe she isn't reaching so many people.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

So wait...? It's common sense that microwaves are radioactive death boxes that mutate our food into poison?

Mind blown.

mindblown-o.gif

Tinfoil hat should solve that problem!

It will at least catch everything!
  • Tal_Kyrte
    Tal_Kyrte Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Bumping for the links, but this reminded me of something I watched the other day.

For anyone who is more interested in the Dr Oz story or the lack of federal oversight on nutritional supplements, John Oliver did a segment on it. It's informative, but also ridiculously hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA0wKeokWUU
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Thank you for those helpful links!
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I love the irony -- the U.S. Senate can chastise Dr. Oz for being a demagogue. By contrast, the Senate is filled with paragons of moral virtue!
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    This is one of my fav topics!!! I recommend the Respectful Insolence blog. Its less respectful and more fun. Also the wonderful Dr. Joe Schwarcz writes a gazillion books using science and debunking the crazy. Currently reading "Is that a fact?" Awesome summer chill reading.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I love the irony -- the U.S. Senate can chastise Dr. Oz for being a demagogue. By contrast, the Senate is filled with paragons of moral virtue!

I suppose, but Dr. Oz has fans (somehow). U.S. Senate's only got the 1% as their fan base, unless politics can be more entertaining.
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I like this thread.
  • kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU for sharing this! I have a number of friends who like to share Food Babe's posts (and other sensationalists like her) and it drives me batty. While I do believe in eating better and educating yourself about food, her approach has always rubbed me the wrong way.

The other day, she even shared a post she'd written TWO YEARS ago about how Starbucks' food is bad for you. Newflash = they've changed their menu and even bigger newsflash = they've NEVER positioned themselves to be healthy! Here's an idea - instead of trying to expose and bring down every single company that doesn't make food the way you like how about supporting the businesses you do enjoy? Or saving a buck and making your own food? Even more maddening at the end of that article was a picture of the blogger, enjoying the free WiFi at Starbucks. Typical.

Again, thank you. Bookmarking this for later!
    I agree, because I did like Food Babe at first and then I feel like she went off the deep edge, and I can truly see that there are chemicals and harmful GMOS in everything we eat; however, how many people can really sustain the type of lifestyle she promotes. Case in point, I made one of her cookie recipes, once. I had to go to Sprouts to track down all the ingredients and I don't know $30 later I had bird seed cookies, that tasted like, well bird seed. Don't get me wrong, I like chia seeds and flax oil, but sometimes it's just too much and then I wonder how much she profits from her promotions like Dr. Oz, I wonder what's the motive? Are people like her looking out for our a$$es or her own?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU for sharing this! I have a number of friends who like to share Food Babe's posts (and other sensationalists like her) and it drives me batty. While I do believe in eating better and educating yourself about food, her approach has always rubbed me the wrong way.

The other day, she even shared a post she'd written TWO YEARS ago about how Starbucks' food is bad for you. Newflash = they've changed their menu and even bigger newsflash = they've NEVER positioned themselves to be healthy! Here's an idea - instead of trying to expose and bring down every single company that doesn't make food the way you like how about supporting the businesses you do enjoy? Or saving a buck and making your own food? Even more maddening at the end of that article was a picture of the blogger, enjoying the free WiFi at Starbucks. Typical.

Again, thank you. Bookmarking this for later!
    I agree, because I did like Food Babe at first and then I feel like she went off the deep edge, and I can truly see that there are chemicals and harmful GMOS in everything we eat; however, how many people can really sustain the type of lifestyle she promotes. Case in point, I made one of her cookie recipes, once. I had to go to Sprouts to track down all the ingredients and I don't know $30 later I had bird seed cookies, that tasted like, well bird seed. Don't get me wrong, I like chia seeds and flax oil, but sometimes it's just too much and then I wonder how much she profits from her promotions like Dr. Oz, I wonder what's the motive? Are people like her looking out for our a$$es or her own?

I would argue that the fact that there are 'harmful GMOs' in everything we eat is not correct. GMO foods are controversial, but I have not seen anything that says they are harmful, and definitely not in everything. Most foods have been altered/modified over the years, at the genetic level - however, most are not harmful in any way (and I am not sure that any commercially available foods are to be honest - although I do understand the wish to limit them as a cya).
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Common sense != science. Personally I'll take science over common sense any day, because common sense is how we arrive at a lot of the diet myths that have been proven false.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Common sense != science. Personally I'll take science over common sense any day, because common sense is how we arrive at a lot of the diet myths that have been proven false.

I get that people are concerned about things that are new, especially if hard to understand the workings of. However, microwaves have been around for 70 years and sold commercially for over 50.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I am all for evidence-based approaches to almost everything. However, in scrolling through the first 4 pages of SBM's blogs, it is clear he has an ax to grind about integrative medicine. Fair enough. The guy can't appreciate the benefits of a great massage. His loss.

My issue is that there is a lot going on in traditional medicine that should be addressed - including the pushing of pharmaceuticals on the medical community (docs too lazy to keep up with medical advances who rely on pharma sales reps for their information and treatment protocols) and the over-prescription of things like statins which were recently recommended for an astronomical percentage of the population by the American Heart Association. None of this is mentioned in those pages, but pose a far more catastrophic risk to people than reiki and acupuncture.

For anyone else reading this and thinking that quackery poses no significant risk I recommend the following

http://whatstheharm.net/scientificstudies.html