Happy Medium Between Gravy and Veggies???

Options
HollyMac20
HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
Looking for dinner ideas for my house. It is just my boyfriend and I. He is a meat, potato and gravy guy, and I am a grilled chicken and salad girl. In an attempt to eat the same thing for dinner, I am looking for ideas.

What do you eat for dinner at your house, that is healthy, but everyone enjoys???

We do some meat and potatoes, I just try not to eat so much of the potatoes. Lots of mexican, tacos, burritos, etc.

Thanks for the ideas!

Replies

• bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Wish I could be more helpful! I cook to separate meals for my husband and I. It's a darn shame. Darn shame.

p.s. super good luck on your half! I'm going to do one in April (If I can ever get registered!)
  • chicabean420
    chicabean420 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    What about turkey meatloaf? Maybe he wouldn't know the difference? haha. I still make my meatloaf with extra lean ground beef....and portion accordingly.

You could try stews...stirfries... umm..

Or just tell him if he doesn't like what you cook, he can make his own damn food :tongue:
  • mellers1313
    mellers1313 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    A of stir-frys here, casseroles, thick homemade soups, veggie bakes, pasta bakes, homemade burger !
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I have same issure in my house. Hy hubby is Peurto Rican and everyday is rice and beans, rice and beans. I have never been much of a rice person. To be honest we havent found a medium. I prepare a meat or main that we will both eat, then he gets his rice and I get veg. The only compromise we have found is now he eats less rice and takes some veg. I think it's ok for people to have different meals, you gotta do what works for you and him. Doesn't really take any more time to prep it different. I say, If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Good luck! :smile:
  • cflorkie
    cflorkie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    spaghetti and meatballs ( I make the meatballs and warm up just sauce for me)

being a vegetarian I am used to making two meals except for the nights when DH is out of town, or he will concede to eating fish. We have alot of salmon, I make veggies and he chokes them down lol.

Casseroles are another good option. There's one I make with broccoli, chicken, pasta, and cream of mushroom or broccoli soup. (I make 1/3 without chicken, and use light cream soup) bake with light cheese on top.
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    You could always use cauliflower in place of rice or mashed potatoes. I've never tried them, but I recently tried the cauliflower pizza crust and it was delicious! My boyfriend's mom made her family cauliflower mashed "potatoes" and said they liked them. When I made the pizza crust with it I had to "rice" the cauliflower (cooked it then grated it in my food processor) and it looked like rice! If he is set on his meat and potato diet that might be a good trick to try! :) Hope it works out!
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    I was in the same boat until recently with my husband. then I realized, just because he's thin doesn't mean his arteries aren't hardening! He can eat more calories, so larger portions, of what you eat :)
  • aeryn69
    aeryn69 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Chili - substitute about half the ground beef with TVP and it'll be healthier and he'll never know it.
  • angebean
    angebean Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    check out blogspot.kalynskitchen.com

She kinda does a south beach diet deal, but she has a LOT of good recipes . I am sure you can find a few that will satisfy both of your taste buds.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    You could always use cauliflower in place of rice or mashed potatoes. I've never tried them, but I recently tried the cauliflower pizza crust and it was delicious! My boyfriend's mom made her family cauliflower mashed "potatoes" and said they liked them. When I made the pizza crust with it I had to "rice" the cauliflower (cooked it then grated it in my food processor) and it looked like rice! If he is set on his meat and potato diet that might be a good trick to try! :) Hope it works out!

This is working at our house. Just a word of caution - the cauli rice is convincing by appearance, but that's as far as it goes. The texture and taste don't really mimic rice as you're eating it. That being said, my other half actually likes it, so much that we replaced rice in stir fry, and have used "cauli rice" as a replacement for potatoes some nights. I also use it as a sub for mashed potatoes and it's gone over well.

Kabocha squash (japanese pumpkin) is another potential replacement for the heavier potato... sort of sweet and it mimics the flavor of a sweet potato. Good luck!
  • nelliebugs
    Options
    If you do cauliflower and potatoes 1/2 and 1/2 it will save you some calories.

I add fat free sour cream to my dishes that would usually call for gravy or sauce of some type. Like instead of using alfredo tonight, I used fat free sour cream and seasoned it to make it more like alfredo. :) But a tinnnny portion of the calories. The great thing about ff sour cream is that it kind of blends in and takes on the flavor of whatever else you're cooking. I love it!!
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I am a totally sneak and I use TVP instead of ground beef in tacos, I make a non dairy cream of mushroom soup and make a tater tot casserole using that and TVP and I add in some frozen peas. I use fat free everything most of the time he does not notice at all, I splurge once a week and make augratin potatoeshttp://danicasdaily.com/a-healthy-holiday-part-2-au-gratin-potatoes/