Activity level

Options
So I'm wondering what my activity level should really be set at... and I now see that there is quite a difference in calorie intake so I want to be as accurate as possible! I'm a nurse that works 3 12 hour shifts a week.... those days I'm on my feet running all day... I initially put myself as active because of this... however on my days off I am thinking that I am more slightly active... I do a lot of housework to catch up on chores and also run errands... but I know I'm not running as much as I do at work... I do workout on my days off too... and I really like to log my exercise.... it keeps me motivated to see it up there... so what activity level do you think?? Should I switch it back and forth???

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Do not switch back & forth—that way madness lies. Choose active, give it several weeks, then reevaluate.

The Sexypants post should be required reading for all MFPers: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I work 10/12 hr shifts too. Sometimes it's manic & I've hardly got my bum in the chair. Other times I can be sat around quite a bit. I also gym/catch up with household stuff on my days off. I set my activity level as sedentary as burns are often way over estimated anyways.

Saying that I use the TDEE method so my burns are set a 1 now anyways. It might be worth looking at your daily cals that way OP as MFP will generally set you at 1200 if that's what you are referring to by the daily goal differences?
  • KilaMarie88
    KilaMarie88 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I work 10/12 hr shifts too. Sometimes it's manic & I've hardly got my bum in the chair. Other times I can be sat around quite a bit. I also gym/catch up with household stuff on my days off. I set my activity level as sedentary as burns are often way over estimated anyways.

Saying that I use the TDEE method so my burns are set a 1 now anyways. It might be worth looking at your daily cals that way OP as MFP will generally set you at 1200 if that's what you are referring to by the daily goal differences?

What is TDEE method... I keep seeing this abbreviation
  • KilaMarie88
    Options
    Ok so I found out what that abbreviation stands for but how do you do that method
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Options
    http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Personally for me I find it suits me best.

I'm 35, 5'7, 1612 cals per day, workout 4-5x's a week. I generally average a 1lb a loss per wk.

*Edited to add - I'm also a binger so I do have times I go over my daily allowance & it hasn't hampered my progress much.
  • KilaMarie88
    Options
    Thanks for your help... I went to that website and it says tdee is 2276 so... I then subtract at the most 25% to see how many calories I should eat to lose weight??
  • KilaMarie88
    Options
    And correct me if I'm wrong... I don't add extra calories the days I workout because that's already been factored in...
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Options
    And correct me if I'm wrong... I don't add extra calories the days I workout because that's already been factored in...

Yes to both questions :happy:

As I say personally I find it works best for me as my work rota is all over the place (used to be 4 on 4 off). So you know how it goes some days you can do it ALL & some days it's more just playing catch up with yourself.
  • aajensen2
    aajensen2 Posts: 2
    Options
    Im a peds nurse wrk 13 hr shifts by time I get off and 3 to 4 a week. I bought a vivofit to track my steps and I am always way over my goal and my goal is set the highest. I set it to active but I sometimes feel it should be set to be very active as I always am lifting a patient or carrying a baby around. Plus I've hurt my back recently andi believe it's because of all the lifting! Alot of my kiddos are delayed or have had serious surgeries done as im at a large trauma hospital. Id say get a fit bit or vivofit see how often your walking. It tells got when to get up and moving on your slow days!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I love my activity trackers (Fitbit Flex & Jawbone UP24), but good old fashioned trial & error is all that's really needed. We should all be looking for the maximum number of calories at which we lose weight—never the minimum.

So raise your activity level for several weeks, then reevaluate your progress.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Choose active - and though you log your exercise decide whether or not to eat additional calories on workout days based on how you feel.