LARGE/Wide Rib Cage. Can I ever get a flat core/torso?

Options

Replies

• sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I think you look great! :happy:
    Truthfully, the pic of you in the bikini would be my goal personally. :drinker:

And as someone that deals in Photoshop daily, those chics MAY look similar to that but do I think they get out of bed looking like that...? No ma'am.:noway:

P.S. usmcmp, you're an inspiration! will you teach me how to stand? (granted, i need to keep working.) you look GREAT. :happy:
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    most pro body builders have larger frames, aka 'big boned'

they often have very flat stomachs.

a large rib cage is considered a plus in body building
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Hell yeah! Vacuum!
    894541.1137968103536.Zane-1.jpg
  • usmcmp
    Options

P.S. usmcmp, you're an inspiration! will you teach me how to stand? (granted, i need to keep working.) you look GREAT. :happy:

Spend lots of time in front of the mirror manipulating your body. Most women like how they look when they tilt their pelvis forward a bit. It makes your butt stick out, increases the curve of the back and stretches the stomach a bit. All those elements help create the illusion of a smaller waist.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options

Hell yeah! Vacuum!
    894541.1137968103536.Zane-1.jpg

i like your appreciation for the classics lol
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I've got similar, though a case where it's possibly more 'accepted' as a bloke, to be larger.
    When at my leanest it looks like I'm "sucking it in" in pictures - changed my profile picture from a fairly flattering one showing the start of some abs because it annoyed me that it looked like I was doing that!

To "fill it in", I'm trying to chuck in some abs work - though that does depend on what else I'm doing too.

I thought the current crop of pro body builders tended to go for a bigger mid-rif - possibly related to some drug they are taking.
  • usmcmp
    Options
  • AuntieIly
    AuntieIly Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    So glad I'm not the only one with a big rib cage! I also have a short torso so I feel like I look dumpy, especially when I put on a few pounds. But, hey, if it was good enough for Bettie Page...
  • quadmom96
    quadmom96 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this picture, usmcmp! Only in the six months since I've been lifting have my waist and hips gotten small enough for me to suddenly notice that my rib cage is quite large. I have been focused on it and thinking it looked so weird. Then, I see your gorgeous picture that doesn't look weird AT ALL and we have very similar rib shape. Thanks for the reality check!
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Thanks for posting this picture, usmcmp! Only in the six months since I've been lifting have my waist and hips gotten small enough for me to suddenly notice that my rib cage is quite large. I have been focused on it and thinking it looked so weird. Then, I see your gorgeous picture that doesn't look weird AT ALL and we have very similar rib shape. Thanks for the reality check!

No problem! Glad it put your mind at ease! I know at first I thought I looked weird. Took me a while to see that I'm just fine and a lot of how big my rib cage looks in any picture is posture related no matter how big my rib cage actually is (and it really is huge).
  • sunshine108443434
    sunshine108443434 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    YES YOU CAN!! you just need to use a corset while you are at home. you can reshape your bones or better than a corset is to create a piece of fabric a long and wide about 1.5 meters ( has to be strong fabric,double material) and wrapped around your ribs it will shrink noticeable in a week!!
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I also have this, I also get called pigeon chest because of it. We should start a big ribcage appreciation society lol.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have a large rib cage too. I try not to look at other bodies as a goal and try try to see what my own body is capable of. If my ribs are larger than average, whatev.

QFT
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I know this is a zombie thread but I had to comment because my ribs are exactly the same. Having said that, it's only ever an occasional issue when trying certain types of clothes (had to return a fitted dress yesterday that was too tight round the ribs; I look massive in empire line dresses compared to waisted dresses because they flare out at the widest part of the torso etc). Also have a hard time getting supportive enough sports bras in a large band but smaller cup size, as the manufacturers seem to think that everybody who needs a 38 has big bosoomas - longtime rant of mine!

The clothes thing can be annoying at times but I've never considered a big rib cage to be something to have a body hang up about. It's like complaining about having big feet or long arms, you can't change it so pointless wasting energy wishing it were different.
  • lightmouse
    lightmouse Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have a large rib cage and no waist. In the process of trying to flatten out my tummy I have previously ended up looking like a skeleton with a wobbly belly because my ribs stick out so much. I'm lifting weights and eating more protein now and it's getting better :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    YES YOU CAN!! you just need to use a corset while you are at home. you can reshape your bones or better than a corset is to create a piece of fabric a long and wide about 1.5 meters ( has to be strong fabric,double material) and wrapped around your ribs it will shrink noticeable in a week!!

This is your very first post. You might want to tone down the bad advice a notch or two
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,499 Member
    Options
    Whoopsie! Thanks to this thread I have yet another problem with my body O.o
    Seriously, yea, I also have a wide rib cage, and wide hips, and strong thick muscles where other people have their ankles/food wrists/whatever you call them. But I do have a lovely waist in-between ribs and hips that I love to put emphasis on with my clothing. I know I'll never be as slander as others, but I'm quite happy with my body.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I have a mahoosive rib cage. My lung capacity is off the charts for my height - not even close to the normal range.

I blame the neanderthals.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

based on what I know about biology...... NO YOU CAN'T.... you can't reshape bones with a corset. Not without breaking a rib or two. Or binding the chests of growing children.

Rib cage size is genetic. If you have a big, barrel chested kind of rib cage, then blame the neanderthals for that one, but no amount of corseting is going to make it into a cro-magnon rib cage.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Zombie Thread from May 2013.