falling off the path

Options
2»

Replies

• _L_A_
    _L_A_ Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I went from 175lbs (maybe more...) at 19, lost down to 148lbs in 3 months (through weight watchers, which I worked out after joining MFP that they had me on 800-1000kcal every day and I was going to the gym 4-6 times a week!), then gained again until I was 21 and at 172lbs, over 7 months I went down to 147lbs. Then over 7 more months I gained back up to 172lbs! It's now been 7 months since then and I am now 23 and weigh 145lbs! I am much more focussed now and feel as though my lifestyle has permanently changed rather than temporarily. Even within these last 7 months I had a couple of good months, a month or two of being bad with food and exercise (but luckily maintaining due to being on my feet at work I assume), then the last 3 months I've been enjoying my healthier lifestyle :) I don't think I'll fall off the path again, I may have a "bad" day, but who cares? Everyone will have a day when they eat loads, or the odd week when they don't do exercise or when they consistently eat unhealthily, what matters is the long term attitudes and trends. One step back, two steps forwards will mean you're always moving forwards!
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I've found that my motivation very closely follows my cycle (sorry if that's TMI) but I can expect that I'll have 3 really great weeks, then one week where it's crazy hard to stick to my calories or get up off the couch. Then I get right back on track the next week. Somehow knowing that I have this pattern and that I WILL get my groove back so to speak really helps me keep things in perspective and not want to just throw in the towel. And I can plan better knowing that "X week I"ll probably want brownies, so how can I work them into my macros?" Best of luck! Just getting back up again makes you a winner!
  • don3_16
    don3_16 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in a funk myself. Last month, I caught a glimpse of 210.something and I was stoked being that close to Onederland, I was giddy like a schoolgirl.

Fast forward four weeks later and pile on:

* Work stress
    * Working/vacation during the 4th of July
    * Vegas for work the week after the 4th

I've logged faithfully that whole time, but pile on the dinners out, the vacation eating, working instead of working out and the late nights, little sleep that four days in Vegas brings and I was 12 lbs heavier when I got back.

Sure, I freaked out, but I've been through this enough to know that most of that weight gain is tied to lack of sleep, high sodium meals, not enough water, too much pop and too much eating out. So a week later, I was down three pounds, and now I'm down another two-ish pounds.

I hesitate to call it a daily struggle, because it was a struggle in the beginning, now it's just a matter of making a series of good or better choices. Make enough of those and you should make strides to your goal.
  • SnazzIT
    SnazzIT Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    This is probably my 5th one since on MFP, but maybe a hundred times more prior...but since joining MFP I fall, I cry, I crawl then pick myself up and start again, its so much easier now with all the support that I have on here :)
  • lgodwin413
    lgodwin413 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You're certainly not alone. Story of my life. Since joining mfp had been doing much better until mini family crisis= emotional eating. I haven't taken the time I need for myself. Haven't logged in a week. Was up to week 5 day 1 on c25k...haven't exercised in a week! Today is a new day and I'm logging every bite (i need to be honest with myself) and back to c25k today. All we can do is keep trying...One day at a time.
  • Bri_Becq
    Bri_Becq Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    This of this as a part of your life. If you had ONE bad day at work, are you going quit and never work again? I doubt it. Remember, you're human, you'll make mistakes and all you need to do is get back on it! You're going to succeed!!!
  • nonacgp
    nonacgp Posts: 132
    Options
    I just posted a similar comment on my home page. I had 89 days of good honest effort and then just lost my mojo. You CAN do it and so can I. Let's do it together. I am sending you a friend request and making a pledge to get back on track today. People fall but it how you get back up that counts.:smile:
  • Brentinc28
    Brentinc28 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'd just like to say "thank you" to everyone who contributed to this topic. I have been locked into what I thought was "my own personal hell" for the past few months - following the program, exercising, sticking to my calorie count, then spiralling out of control, eating all kinds go junk, then feeling hopeless and out of control, absolutely devastated that I will never be able to get on top of this. Reading this topic has given me hope that I can get my thinking right and get back on track. I lost over 80 pounds, following my program for over 200 days without a stumble. Then, out of nowhere, motivation dropped and the old habits started creeping back - now here I am having gained back 25 pounds. But, now I feel renewed and will keep trying every day - and know that a stumble is not the end, it's just a stumble. Thank you all for making me realise that I am part of a strong, dedicated group of people who will never give up! :flowerforyou:
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    How many times did you take several steps backwards before really moving forward?

Isn't that the same for just about being successful in most things in life though, be it weight loss, fitness, business...

It isn't just one smooth, linear path to success. You go backwards, your go forwards, you go sideways. Sometimes you find yourself standing on your head.

But you keep putting one foot in front of the other.

And eventually you get there.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!